All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DigitalManny
join:2014-01-08
Glendale, CA

DigitalManny

When is Netflix going to talk to Charter?

I have realized since December 2013 that they are doing the same thing as Comcast switching the internet where it streams in SD and this starts happening around the this time 5:50pm until midnight. I know this is the time where most people are home but really does the quality have to be dropped lower than 480p? If there is a sign to read in a TV Show or a Movie it is impossible because of the low quality.

Sorry but greed is getting really out of hand and very unnecessary.
markopoleo
join:2003-04-02
Bonne Terre, MO

markopoleo

Instead of jumping to conclusions, did you try contacting charter. Many don't have that issue.
sittin_tech
join:2004-04-13
Rochester, MN

sittin_tech to DigitalManny

to DigitalManny
According to netflix, charter is one of the top performing ISPs
»ispspeedindex.netflix.com/usa
DigitalManny
Glendale, CA

DigitalManny to markopoleo

to markopoleo
said by markopoleo:

Instead of jumping to conclusions, did you try contacting charter. Many don't have that issue.

Instead of jumping to the conclusion that I did not contact Charter first but I will let you know I did contact them and they send a tech out and the tech found no problem. I tell Charter about the issue again they blame Netflix I tell Netflix they say my ISP we keep going around in circles same BS every time.

Tell me those many do not have issues sounds kind of BS and just because they are not having problems does not mean others are not.
DigitalManny

DigitalManny to sittin_tech

to sittin_tech
said by sittin_tech:

Good for them what does that have to do with my issue? Statistics can be falsified who knows what Charter benefits from this.

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

2 recommendations

mixdup to DigitalManny

to DigitalManny
Since Charter scores pretty well on Netflix's aggregate rankings, your problem is likely congestion in your local area, not congestion between Netflix's upstream provider and Charter.
ryu4000
join:2006-11-18
Picayune, MS

ryu4000 to DigitalManny

to DigitalManny
I had the same issue it's not netflix fault it's charter here my area use to be congested now that we use 8ch netflix goes to super hd doesn't matter the time late night early hrs etc... i get 1080p from netflix.
markopoleo
join:2003-04-02
Bonne Terre, MO

markopoleo to DigitalManny

to DigitalManny
i CAN jump to conclusions, because you never said you did contact charter in original post like someone normally would..

Its most likely just the area you are in.

SirSteve
Premium Member
join:2003-11-28
Woodbury, CT

SirSteve to DigitalManny

Premium Member

to DigitalManny
No problems in CT. Netflix plays in HD perfectly all the time on multiple TVs (Apple TVs) as well as laptops.
DigitalManny
Glendale, CA

DigitalManny to ryu4000

to ryu4000
said by ryu4000:

I had the same issue it's not netflix fault it's charter here my area use to be congested now that we use 8ch netflix goes to super hd doesn't matter the time late night early hrs etc... i get 1080p from netflix.

I made the switch from 4 bonding to a 8 bonding cable modem from Charter no difference at same issue and always happens exactly 5:50 pm -12:00 am.
DigitalManny

DigitalManny to mixdup

to mixdup
said by mixdup:

Since Charter scores pretty well on Netflix's aggregate rankings, your problem is likely congestion in your local area, not congestion between Netflix's upstream provider and Charter.

Well shouldn't Charter have better choices of internet speed so no congestion? No one wants the 100 Mbps because it is too expensive Charter should option like Charter Business a 60 and a 80 not just two.

Mr Guy
@charter.com

Mr Guy

Anon

said by DigitalManny:

Well shouldn't Charter have better choices of internet speed so no congestion? No one wants the 100 Mbps because it is too expensive Charter should option like Charter Business a 60 and a 80 not just two.

different speeds wouldn't do anything for congestion. You have congestion because too many people on your node want to watch things like Netflix. It's like water pressure. If you're alone in the house you can take a nice shower with a strong stream. Someone turns on the dishwasher, washing machine, flushes the toilet and waters the yard, guess what not so strong anymore.
DigitalManny
Glendale, CA

DigitalManny

said by Mr Guy :

said by DigitalManny:

different speeds wouldn't do anything for congestion. You have congestion because too many people on your node want to watch things like Netflix. It's like water pressure. If you're alone in the house you can take a nice shower with a strong stream. Someone turns on the dishwasher, washing machine, flushes the toilet and waters the yard, guess what not so strong anymore.

Well when I watch Netflix I do not have multiple electronic devices that need the internet on so how do you fix a node problem than?
squashpile
join:2001-06-13
Birmingham, AL

squashpile to DigitalManny

to DigitalManny
Could not get Netflix HD at all the other night. Logged into VPN (Privateinternetaccess) and it is Super HD every time. So yeah.. speed test and speed is fine. Netflix HD was not. Connect over VPN problem solved EVERY time.

Mr Guy
@charter.com

Mr Guy to DigitalManny

Anon

to DigitalManny
said by DigitalManny:

Well when I watch Netflix I do not have multiple electronic devices that need the internet on so how do you fix a node problem than?

The node is what everyone is your area is connected to Charter. A node can handle only so much bandwidth. Everyone thinks bandwidth is a magical unlimited resource. Of course if people are just viewing webpages and those use little bandwidth and for a very short period of time it's not an issue. It's when people are doing things like streaming video that not only uses large amount of bandwidth at one time they do it over a LONG period of time.

Anyway node congestion gets fixed when Charter decides to add another node and moves some of those on your node to the new one.
DigitalManny
Glendale, CA

DigitalManny

said by Mr Guy :

said by DigitalManny:

The node is what everyone is your area is connected to Charter. A node can handle only so much bandwidth. Everyone thinks bandwidth is a magical unlimited resource. Of course if people are just viewing webpages and those use little bandwidth and for a very short period of time it's not an issue. It's when people are doing things like streaming video that not only uses large amount of bandwidth at one time they do it over a LONG period of time.

Anyway node congestion gets fixed when Charter decides to add another node and moves some of those on your node to the new one.

So basically I am paying for nothing because thinks it is best to fix this issue whenever they feel up to? How nice of them.
bozzy
join:2009-08-25
Simpsonville, SC

bozzy to sittin_tech

to sittin_tech
said by sittin_tech:

Overall they did good but they dropped almost the same rate as Comcast last month. That is nothing to be proud about.
Jazzemt
join:2009-02-12
USA

Jazzemt to DigitalManny

to DigitalManny
I love how people jump to the conclusion that it is always node congestion. There are many factors that come into play. It can be a factor but usually is not.

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup

said by Jazzemt:

I love how people jump to the conclusion that it is always node congestion. There are many factors that come into play. It can be a factor but usually is not.

In this case it's more likely than congestion between Netflix and Charter. And by "node congestion" it could be more than just the physical node itself, it could be regional congestion in the city/state/hub. But since there are plenty of people who have posted in this thread that say they never have Netflix issues (myself included), it's not a problem getting the traffic from Netflix's network provider into Charter's network.
mdavej
join:2004-06-09
united state

mdavej

But that doesn't explain how using a VPN solves the problem. It's the same pipes. Would using different DNS's work just as well. I used Google DNS for a while and had no issues, then switched back to Charter DNS. Had no problems for a while. But recently, it's taking a long time to ramp up to Super HD. It used to be instant. I'll do some experimenting and see what happens with a DNS change.

EDIT: Nevermind. I wasn't thinking clearly. VPN would use a different connection to Netflix.
bshelly
Premium Member
join:2002-02-17
Conover, NC

bshelly to Jazzemt

Premium Member

to Jazzemt
Agreed, it is not Node congestion, if that was the case, everything would slow to a crawl. Likely an issue with Charter's peer(s) that connects them to Netflix at various locations throughout Charter's national footprint.
DigitalManny
Glendale, CA

DigitalManny

said by bshelly:

Agreed, it is not Node congestion, if that was the case, everything would slow to a crawl. Likely an issue with Charter's peer(s) that connects them to Netflix at various locations throughout Charter's national footprint.

If that is the case do they already know about it or they are doing this purposely?
Jazzemt
join:2009-02-12
USA

Jazzemt to DigitalManny

to DigitalManny
The peer issue is one that is not easily solved if it is outside the network. There is a well known issue with hops on level3 in LA and most of Southern California. It has been reported more with "why are my ping times bad on this game". The problem can be either with who the provider chooses for access or who the streaming company chooses. Then you add in who is between the two and that adds a whole other bag of issues. Some of the peering companies are pushing back and saying we need more for transport due to the amount of traffic and not being able to keep up with upgrades.

Jaybonaut
join:2012-05-29
Sheboygan, WI

Jaybonaut to DigitalManny

to DigitalManny
Seems appropriate, but is NSFW:

»i.imgur.com/7Yruz4Q.png

CoolMan
join:2008-01-07
Maryville, TN
ARRIS BGW210-700
Netgear R7000

1 edit

CoolMan to DigitalManny

to DigitalManny
Here is some observations I noticed tonight, I watched Example Short 23.976 (2010) »www.netflix.com/WiMovie/ ··· 70136810 for the full 11 minutes. This special test video will show your current bitrate on screen the entire time. It is capable of going as high as 5800kbps bitrate the 1080p "Super HD."

Started: 9:34pm ET
Ended: 9:45pm ET
Device: Chromecast (Super HD capable)
Mins/Secs | Bitrate | Resolution
0:00 560kbps 640x480
0:35 1050kbps 640x480
2:00 1750kbps 720x480
4:00 2350kbps 1280x720 HD
5:35 1750kbps 720x480
6:40 2350kbps 1280x720 HD
7:46 3000kbps 1280x720 HD

Those are the varying bitrates I received noted above as they changed at specific time marks.
CoolMan

CoolMan to DigitalManny

to DigitalManny
Same test as above a bit later, except on a Roku 3 streaming device. Roku 3 is connected via wired ethernet (unlike the Chromecast). Never received a bitrate higher then 1050kbps 640x480 SD the entire video...

Started: 9:59pm ET
Ended: 10:10pm ET
Device: Roku 3 (Super HD capable)
Mins/Secs | Bitrate | Resolution
0:00 375kbps 640x480
0:35 560kbps 640x480
0:44 750kbps 640x480
0:50 1050kbps 640x480

Speeds, pings, cable modem signal levels and everything else is fine.
[att=1]
DigitalManny
Glendale, CA

DigitalManny to Jazzemt

to Jazzemt
said by Jazzemt:

The peer issue is one that is not easily solved if it is outside the network. There is a well known issue with hops on level3 in LA and most of Southern California. It has been reported more with "why are my ping times bad on this game". The problem can be either with who the provider chooses for access or who the streaming company chooses. Then you add in who is between the two and that adds a whole other bag of issues. Some of the peering companies are pushing back and saying we need more for transport due to the amount of traffic and not being able to keep up with upgrades.

Okay I understand now is Charter ever going to fix this problem? What can I do when it is their end and it has going on for the last 4 months? I really do not understand why no one is stepping up or I am getting this feeling Charter is doing what Comcast did with Netflix streaming.
slckusr
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

slckusr to DigitalManny

Premium Member

to DigitalManny
Ive had a couple problems with netflix streaming HD during prime time hours. (2 or 3 times over the past few weeks) I swapped over to my Windows 8 netflix app each time and was streaming in HD with no issue. /shrug

RollTide
@charter.com

RollTide

Anon

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· sLLOYxnY
DigitalManny
Glendale, CA

DigitalManny

Talked about this issue with charter and the response: Charter Customer

Representative [Lalaine]: I don't see any problem with your modem and cable boxes they are all active, are able to access it through online?

Are charter employees really dumb? I told her I am having streaming issues and explained the problem and she asks me if I am able to connect to the internet, if I was not than how am I even getting on the internet? Does Charter hire idiots because it explains what Charter is doing with Netflix now like Comcast. The worst part she just disconnects because clearly she does not want to deal with it.

Trying to solve the problem between Netflix and Charter is like a giant circle jerk that never ends.