spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rickyricardo

join:2014-02-24
Canada

[Modem/Router] Rogers With Cisco Modem - slow or dead download, OK FTP??

I have the Cisco modem and each night around 8-9 p.m. download are impossible, failing after maybe 1-5% of the download.

Here is the odd thing - FTP downloads are at top speed, so it is not simply a lack of bandwidth.

Other odd thing - if you go to a download file test site - thinkbroadband has files from 5MB to 1000MB and you can download from a simple http link or from optional IVP4 links that have different URL - they start with ivp4 vs. http and have the port in the URL, 81 or 8080 and those sample files download at 3-4MB (not mb) per second.

So only HTTP downloads even inline photos are throttled and bandwidth is available.

Also many, many errors in the modem log including T3 errors, self reboots and the like.

First thing in the a.m. and coming home from work, no problems, at peak time there is no download speed at all. Then around 11 p.m. it goes away.

Surfing non graphic heavy sites and no downloads (like this post I am writing) is generally OK.

Anyone else, Toronto west end seeing this, and any suggestions. They are coming Thursday a.m. for an analysis.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

[Modem/Router] Re: Rogers With Cisco Modem - slow or dead download, OK FTP??

said by rickyricardo:

I have the Cisco modem and each night around 8-9 p.m. download are impossible, failing after maybe 1-5% of the download.

Here is the odd thing - FTP downloads are at top speed, so it is not simply a lack of bandwidth.

Other odd thing - if you go to a download file test site - thinkbroadband has files from 5MB to 1000MB and you can download from a simple http link or from optional IVP4 links that have different URL - they start with ivp4 vs. http and have the port in the URL, 81 or 8080 and those sample files download at 3-4MB (not mb) per second.

So only HTTP downloads even inline photos are throttled and bandwidth is available.

Also many, many errors in the modem log including T3 errors, self reboots and the like.

First thing in the a.m. and coming home from work, no problems, at peak time there is no download speed at all. Then around 11 p.m. it goes away.

Surfing non graphic heavy sites and no downloads (like this post I am writing) is generally OK.

Anyone else, Toronto west end seeing this, and any suggestions. They are coming Thursday a.m. for an analysis.

Yep. I've been seeing the EXACT same thing. Started the as soon as I replaced the SMC for a Cisco in order to get 150/10 service. Every night since, internet is USELESS starting around 7-8pm and lasts until 9-11pm or so.

Same thing - T3 errors in the logs en masse. No such issues (slowdown or log errors) while I still had the SMC modem (on the 45/4 tier).

Pings are all fine but HTTP to about 50% of the internet is ok. One of things that don't work well: Netflix. Unwatchable (pauses constantly and if it does play it's on lowest resolution mode). On the other hand, a speed test to something like Beanfield Metroconnect gives me 200Mbps. Fast, but useless. Likewise, downloading backups from my work servers = 100Mbps (from Amazon AWS) over SSH/SCP.

Again, this started the very first night I had swapped to the DPC3825.

I've had a ticket open the last few days and Rogers has gone into incompetence mode as usual: "We'll need to send a truck, sir."

Explaining to them that I'm getting 200+ Mbps to some parts of the Internet with no latency while half of the internet is 5mbps doesn't seem to convince them that it's not a line issue. smh.

Seeing this thread from you means I'm going to swap the Cisco for a CGN2 at a retail store tomorrow and see if it fixes the issue tomorrow night. If so I'll cancel the truck roll and let you know.

rickyricardo

Canada
What happens if you try FTP (you can do in the browser, just find a FTP test site with Google), or the ipv4 links at the site I mentioned? I bet you will find no issues. It seems to have resolved already tonight.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to rickyricardo
Yes, already resolved itself tonight.

Was bad from about 8pm to about 945-1000pm. Is now fixed.

Without fail, this happens:

»nexicom.speedtest.net - click "Begin Test - Your Preferred Server"
This test will be horrible. Could be as low at 5Mbps or surge as high as 40Mbps (on a 150Mbps connection).

»blink.speedtest.net
Same thing.

HOWEVER:

»beanfield.speedtest.net - 150Mbps+
»teksavvy.speedtest.net - 150Mbps+

etc

Starting around 1000pm all of the above will jump straight to 150+ Mbps again.

Note that Nexicom and Blink speed testing slowly aren't the actual problem - they're just how I confirm that Rogers is crapping the bed again. The real symptom is that things like Netflix don't play properly for me.

Your test site above I can duplicate the same issue - anything port 80 = awful performance earlier. Anything port 81 or anything IPV6 = awesome performance. I was pulling 60Mbps over IPV6 (via Hurricane Electric tunnel) from port 80 while the IPv4 (not tunnelled) port 80 was sending me less than 5mbps.

Frustrating thing is, if I could just talk to someone competent at Rogers to give them information they could fix the problem. There is a lot of data outlining where to look. But of course you call in and you get the kind hearted but utterly incompetent tier 1 technicians who insist on booking a truck roll and only booking a truck roll as their primary means of solving your problem. So frustrating.

rickyricardo

Canada
What would you suggest to them, other than changing the modem?

While I got a connection back I then lost the upstream on channel 1 and the usual error messages of 16 lost connections and a reboot to get it back.

The tech is coming Thursday, would you change to a Hiltron modem? I don't care about the bad wifi - I can use it as a router and run the first port to a router with DHCP disabled and use that as a wireless access point. I just want a connection that doesn't drop part of its download speeds.

I have read that the Cisco modems have an issue with HTTP confirmation that requires a firmware fix.

On the one Ookla test just now I got 78 mbps down and 3 up.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit
said by rickyricardo:

What would you suggest to them, other than changing the modem?

While I got a connection back I then lost the upstream on channel 1 and the usual error messages of 16 lost connections and a reboot to get it back.

The tech is coming Thursday, would you change to a Hiltron modem? I don't care about the bad wifi - I can use it as a router and run the first port to a router with DHCP disabled and use that as a wireless access point. I just want a connection that doesn't drop part of its download speeds.

I have read that the Cisco modems have an issue with HTTP confirmation that requires a firmware fix.

On the one Ookla test just now I got 78 mbps down and 3 up.

I just did some more looking.

The BeanField speedtest above I quoted as "always being fast". It's connecting to 96.45.195.190:8080. Non-port 80.

The TekSavvy test? 206.248.140.50:8080. Non-port 80.

So you're right on the money. Basically from 7pm to 11pm every night my connection CANNOT reliably receive data on port 80 at anything above a few megabit. This then automatically clears itself up at around 10-11pm.

I'm going to call back and yell at Rogers some more. If I can't get anywhere, tomorrow I'm going to swap to a CGN2 and see if that helps. I'm using my own router so I'll be bridging no matter what (my DPC3825 is bridged).

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to rickyricardo
Ok, I swapped for a CGN2-ROG today (Hitron).
Will see within a few hours weather my connection takes a dive.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to rickyricardo
said by rickyricardo:

Can you please provide a link that provides information on the "the Cisco modems have an issue with HTTP confirmation" ... Thanks

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to rickyricardo
7pm with the CGN2-ROG. For the last 5 nights this test node has been dragging for me (is a port 80 test). As low as ~1Mbps, "surging" up to 5-10Mbps.

So far, so good with the DPC3825 removed.

rickyricardo

Canada
Well they are here Thursday a.m. so I wonder if I should call and insist they bring a Hiltron? I have so many errors in the log that it ran out of room today. Probably 50 just today.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
8:20pm:

It's definitely looking like the DPC3825 was the problem.

Where are you located, incidentally?

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to rickyricardo

Re: [Modem/Router] Rogers With Cisco Modem - slow or dead download, OK FTP??

Interestingly, it looks like they're updating the Cisco modems to a new firmware right now. Someone in another thread just reported that they're Cisco was updated to v131113a.

Wondering if this will fix your issues? Honestly my guess is that this has something to do with filtering. Strange that only port 80 is affected, and I really don't trust Rogers to use the tried and true "just add more bandwidth" solution to network management, rather than monkeying with packets.

Sigh.

cepnot4me

join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
This really interests me, the Cisco has been the solution to the pile of Hitron issues. Cgn2 or cgn3. Reading through I wanted to say node congestion. Since the times your talking about are the peak times.
However, I'm not so sure anymore. If you guys don't mind, keep this thread updated?

rickyricardo

Canada
Node congestion should be more evident in all traffic, yet ivp4 addresses, FTP all are at top speed and only HTTP, and then really downloads of files or inline images are affected. I would suspect shaping but the Cisco modem has nearly 50 errors including T3 and reboots in 36 hours. Now that could be response to a dead network or Rogers router and not a problem with the modem at all. Tomorrow they arrive to test.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to rickyricardo
This is my second night with the CGN2 instead of the Cisco.

Tonight I've watched the entire Habs/Wings game so far. Starting at 7.30. 10 minutes left in the third period now. HD, full frame rate and no stalls.

Current speeds:

Basically, the moment I got rid of the Cisco my connection works fine. If this was 2 nights ago with the Cisco I'd be getting 5Mbps on this test location (Nexicom) and hockey (or Netflix or anything else on port 80) would be unusable.

So the Cisco was definitely my problem it seems.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to rickyricardo
said by rickyricardo:

Node congestion should be more evident in all traffic, yet ivp4 addresses, FTP all are at top speed and only HTTP, and then really downloads of files or inline images are affected. I would suspect shaping but the Cisco modem has nearly 50 errors including T3 and reboots in 36 hours. Now that could be response to a dead network or Rogers router and not a problem with the modem at all. Tomorrow they arrive to test.

Yeah, exactly.

I was getting a lot log errors on the Cisco (none on the Hitron that I can see) as well.

Also, with the Cisco, I'd be able to get really good / full speeds doing ANYTHING except port 80. Port 8080, IPv6 tunnelling, SSH/SCP copies, etc... all 150Mbps. Even speed tests to sites like Beanfield or TekSavvy (which use port 8080 for their test servers) would show 150+ Mbps with boosting.

As soon as I used port 80 (and ONLY port 80), speeds dropped to 5Mbps until about 11/1130pm when it would clear up and go back to normal.

Definitely not node congestion.

rickyricardo

Canada
They came, they went, and no difference tonight on the cleaned up wires and connections.

The tech did give me his phone number to call him direct tomorrow and set up a time to exchange the modem but I think I will take the Cisco to work tomorrow and walk it over to a Rogers and get a Hiltron. Every night HTTP 8-11 is ridiculous

I was reading the Hiltron guide and will just run it in router mode vs. get them to convert to bridge, but shut off the wifi. Where is the logging? I looked in the guide and saw nothing for reading the logs.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
You can flip the CGN2 to bridge mode on your own via the interface - no need to ask Rogers.

This is my second or third straight night with the CGN2. Watched Habs/Penguins in HD on GameCenter tongith. Not a single problem. Watched House of Cards in Super HD. No problems.

Cisco was definitely my problem as far as I can tell. CGN2 is holding solid. (Hard time coming to terms with that but there it is).

rickyricardo

Canada
Set in bridge mode, the Cisco router becomes inaccessible by other than Rogers due to not having an IP in the network range any more.

What happens with the Hiltron? Can you connect to it with a known IP or is it the usual hard reset and log in when it is a router/gateway again?

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
said by rickyricardo:

Set in bridge mode, the Cisco router becomes inaccessible by other than Rogers due to not having an IP in the network range any more.

In Bridge mode to access the GUI on the DPC3825 the IP address is 192.168.100.1

the user name is : cusadmin
the pwd is: password

Once you connect your router to the bridged DPC3825 you should be able to access the GUI at the IP address I specified.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

rickyricardo

Canada
Interesting, didn't know that, though the question was the same one, but about the Hiltron modem/gateway in the same situation.

I'm going to exchange the Cisco for Hiltron today.

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
IMO the CISCO DPC3825 bridged is superior to the HITRON. I strongly discourage the use of the CGN2 .... I do not recall the CGN2 bridged GUI access but I suspect its the same as the CISCO however the login info may be different --- I just do not recall.

I am very surprised by the problems you and panda have experienced with the DPC3825 -- so I suspect that Rogers are doing something different on the nodes you're on that is specific to the HITRON but that is my speculation.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit
said by mozerd:

IMO the CISCO DPC3825 bridged is superior to the HITRON. I strongly discourage the use of the CGN2 .... I do not recall the CGN2 bridged GUI access but I suspect its the same as the CISCO however the login info may be different --- I just do not recall.

I am very surprised by the problems you and panda have experienced with the DPC3825 -- so I suspect that Rogers are doing something different on the nodes you're on that is specific to the HITRON but that is my speculation.

I previously would have said the same thing (having used a DPC3825 previously). I've recently "come back" to Rogers and was using an SMC for 45/4 and was having no issues.

I bumped up to 150/10 and swapped for a DPC3825 and on literally the first evening this happened my connection became unusable for port 80 traffic starting around 7pm-11pm or so (lots of accompanying T3 errors, etc - see above).

This lasted for about 4-5 days until I took the 3825 to a Rogers store and swapped it for a CGN2. Absolutely no issues since. So it definitely looks like the modem was the issue.

From my experience, CGN2 or DPC3825 are interchangeable if they're both in bridge mode. Both give the same latency and bandwidth performance and I'm not relying on the gateway/router functions of either so I'm pretty indifferent to interface / functionality from that perspective.

CGN2 GUI access is also 192.168.100.1. This is consistent with basically every bridged DOCSIS device I've ever used (SB51xx, SMC, Cisco, Hitron, Thomson, etc).

rickyricardo

Canada

2 edits
Well Rogers bless their hearts say they don't even have the CGN2 any more and gave me a CGN3, this great huge thing the size of an encyclopedia volume standing up.

And $4 a month more for it due to the "advanced" wifi which I promptly deactivated. 2.4 and 5 MHz and multiple SSIDs if you have guests. Not quite worth $4 with wifi turned off, is it?

It seems to have easy turn off of gateway mode, no calls to Rogers to do that, though for now it is wi-fi off and router on since a router is a router and I have the former router/wifi set to use as a WAP for now. I can bridge the modem and use my other router in about 2 minutes if I have to.

So far it is 9 pm. and still downloading and lliterally zero in the logs.

Ookla test was 44.5 down and 3 up vs., well zero at 8 p.m. The download test site worked on port 80. In the 1.5-2.2 MB/sec range.

My question regarding the Hitron is once it is in bridge mode can you login at the old IP address, e.g. 0.1 (NB it is 0 not 100) ? The Cisco dropped its IP when you bridged and had to reset it to log back in. I change the LAN IP to 2.1 from 0.1 since I have a slew of existing WAPs with fixed IP addresses in the 2.XX range.

All said I am adding TekSavvy DSL 25/10 for $35 a month and a $75 router and after a month or two of that to be sure it works, Rogers gets the boot (not the reboot like the Cisco).

Update: I added the 5MHz N and the signal is not bad. No worse than the other 3 APs I have going. Given that I am two floors down, -62 is close to the -59 of the DLInk N AP sitting next to it.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
So you're saying that at 8pm you still had the 3825 and were having performance issues and you switched to the CGN3 and it worked after that?

Apparently there is a new firmware update pushing now for the CGN3 that addresses some of it's bridge mode issues as well.

rickyricardo

Canada
Every night for the last 10 days with the 3825 no HTTP from 8-11 and so far tonight with the Hitron, all working and nothing in the DOSCIS logs at all.

The Hitron appears to operate on a different and much higher set of frequencies and has double the download channels than the Cisco.

One thing it is pretty slow responding with the GUI. For some reason it won't even respond to login, but the internet still works.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by rickyricardo:

Every night for the last 10 days with the 3825 no HTTP from 8-11 and so far tonight with the Hitron, all working and nothing in the DOSCIS logs at all.

The Hitron appears to operate on a different and much higher set of frequencies and has double the download channels than the Cisco.

One thing it is pretty slow responding with the GUI. For some reason it won't even respond to login, but the internet still works.

Yeah so there is definitely something up with the Cisco modems right now then. Two different people solving bad speed problems with a modem swap?

What area are you in? Wondering if we're in the same area - might be our CMTS?

rickyricardo

Canada
said by SimplePanda:

said by rickyricardo:

Yeah so there is definitely something up with the Cisco modems right now then. Two different people solving bad speed problems with a modem swap?

The Junction around Dundas and Pacific. Now the Hitron reports brie and consisten daily T3 timeouts and ranging errors around 10 a.m. and no reboots. Night time is OK.

Bell is coming the 17th and I will have Teksavvy 25/10 shortly thereafter.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit
said by rickyricardo:

said by SimplePanda:

said by rickyricardo:

The Junction around Dundas and Pacific. Now the Hitron reports brie and consisten daily T3 timeouts and ranging errors around 10 a.m. and no reboots. Night time is OK.

Bell is coming the 17th and I will have Teksavvy 25/10 shortly thereafter.

I'm also Junction. Medland just south of Annette.

Sounds like the node in our area is broken. Good luck getting Rogers to acknowledge that, I guess. Sigh.

I was on TekSavvy before this. Starting to regret coming back to Rogers. Then again, since moving to the CGN2 I've had no issues. Stuck renting, but hey.

rickyricardo

Canada
The Rogers tech says south of Annette is not the same switching as north of Annette where I am, so I don't know.

Teksavvy router arrived today, Bell comes next Monday so a month of overlap and I guess Rogers will be gone.