Search similar:

uniqs
carnagerover
join:2006-04-15
UK

carnagerover

Netgear R7000 DD-WRT QOS help?

Hi all,

Basically I have just bought a Nighthawk R7000 from Netgear and put DD-WRT on it, I am looking to implement some QOS but I'm a bit of a noob at it really.

I am interested in QOS, I have quite a fast internet connection at 80Mbps down and 20Mbps up but I would like to make sure that the following devices in the house have enough available bandwidth to stream internet video whilst other tasks are going on.

2 iPads (wireless)
PS4 (wired)
Gaming PC (wired)
These devices will mainly be used for streaming video, like Netflix and Twitch.tv on the iPads and then gaming on the PS4 and Gaming PC, there are other wireless devices in the house also that are not as important.

I have inputted the Uplink and Downlink to the recommended specifications and at the moment I am just using the MAC priority fucntion to set these devices to Premium and I am assuming all other devices then just fall into the Standard priority.

My question is what do people recommend the best way to go about this is, probably not the way that I am going about it at the moment?

My thinking is that if any of my important devices are on the network then they are going to get priority over normal traffic but if more than one of these devices is on then they are going to share the bandwidth with each other and then the rest of the network.

Would I be better to do the following to prfioritize small packets for time sensitive stuff like video;

TCP-Packet Priority
Prioritize small TCP-packets with the following flags:
ACK SYN FIN RST
JPnATL
join:2011-11-16
Bethlehem, GA

JPnATL

An expensive router to be flashing in my opinion firmware that does nothing really and i have heard and seen to many bricks as a result. How often is that DD-WRT updated ? I have less bandwidth as you with my R7000 and maybe 6 devises and i am very confident that the router won't stumble the modem will before this thing does and the QOS is easy to setup just go look at the bottom of the page on the interface and where it says documentation click on that and watch the video. Now that you have messed with the firmware i am not sure if that will even work now.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

1 edit

1 recommendation

KoRnGtL15 to carnagerover

Premium Member

to carnagerover
You don't even need QOS with that fast of a connection and router. Unless you like to beta test and take a risk with such of an expensive router. Stock would be best to stick with until DDWRT matures more for that router.
CaliNine
join:2014-05-12
United State

1 edit

CaliNine to carnagerover

to carnagerover
I just have upload prioritized, 2 devices connected through ethernet the rest on wifi. I don't have any issues with all of them streaming at the same time.

mahicks
join:2001-06-20
Tallahassee, FL

2 recommendations

mahicks to carnagerover

to carnagerover
Your fine prioritizing those packets if you like. I am not going to hate on your firmware choice. In fact, it is what I use on the same router.

Lets see if I can help:
1. While I disagree with a lot of what has already been posted (more on that later.) I do agree with them that your specific needs you have posted so far with your connection speed probably doesn't need true robust QOS.

2. Your on the right track with a simple mac priority but you must have Uplink,Downlink set CORRECTLY and if you leave your MAC priorities set like you say now then you have not done much of anything because you have told it that ALL your devices have the same priority.

3. DDWRT and your router does some very impressive management without the need for a QOS schedule. That coupled by the fact that you have a very robust connection with few clients doing very basic albeit at times high bandwidth intensive tasks makes me question the need for a QOS schedule. HOWEVER; I would be glad to help you setup QOS if you think you really need it after reading this but I would rather go PM so I can get some details of what your doing with what so I can help setup a QOS schedule that really works. Not properly setup a QOS schedule can CRIPPLE your internet experience on all/some devices and can actually cause DDWRT to run poorly on your router and even cause global speed/performance issues on your network.

4. To decide if you really need QOS with your setup just turn off QOS scheduling and run the hell out of everything during peak times. Have both Ipads watching Netflix HD while you are downloading an update or something on the PS4 and play a game on the on the gaming PC. Then run a speed test and ping test from the gaming PC while doing all of the above and let me know how they turn out while doing everything vs. doing the same ping/speed test with nothing. I would bet a simple solution for you would be at worst to give the gaming PC Premium MAC priority at most and do nothing else.

Now to the other posters:
-it is very easy for the OP to flash back to stock firmware from DDWRT.

-I've done ALOT of router work and testing and have not seen a router bricked installing DDWRT in YEARS and that includes ones flashed over WIFI!.

-Yes, I have seen people use the wrong firmware, change kernel level settings they shouldn't have and a few other things brick a router but once again I haven't seen one that had the right firmware installed in YEARS brick upon installation and proper use. Tomato was recently introduced to our family of routers. Do it wrong and/or do not follow directions and you WILL Brick it. Nothing wrong with Tomato, its a user issue....

-QOS allows you to setup a system where not only does the router not stumble (which is NOT going to happen for the majority of regular/heavy/super heavy users WITH OUR ROUTER even with stock firmware) but it allows your CLIENTS not to "stumble." There is no such thing as a properly working modem/internet connection "stumbling" from normal use. To be quite honest, if it is working correctly and something "stumbles" it was because of customer side routing/networking which IS WHAT QOS is for and the modem did it's job providing maximum bandwidth available/purchased. ONLY AFTER YOU HAVE SETUP QOS/ROUTING/NETWORKING can you determine if your connection is INADEQUATE but like I have said, if your connection to the internet and your modem are functioning properly your connection will not "stumble"

-DDWRT is VERY mature for that router and most updates are for improvements to function or bug fixes for functions. There has not been major updates to the kernel in a very long time.

-There are Many updates to DDWRT for the above reason and to continue to improve the product. That is a good thing. Most stock routers receive few updates over time not because they have reached the point of perfect improvement but most likely because the device is sunsetting and there is a new one on the horizon....Most manufactures are not going to continue to support old products with the latest and greatest when there is NO MONEY in doing so....Which is why open source/community based firmware ROCKS!