rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar

Premium Member

Flash drive and Linux query.

I have Mint 13 mate set up on a flash drive and am wondering if there is a program available to allow putting mare that one distro on the flash drive. so I can duo boot. I bought a 32 GB Flash drive because it is 15 times faster that my 8 & 16 gig Flash drives.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

»www.pendrivelinux.com/yu ··· creator/
»www.makeuseof.com/tag/ho ··· b-stick/
I've used YUMI before, but it's been a while, and I cannot remember if it's possible to get it to be persistent on USB.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar

Premium Member

Thank you very much.

From the YUMI page;

Persistently Saving Changes: YUMI currently enables the casper-rw persistence feature for some (but not all) Ubuntu based distributions. Yes, you can have multiple persistent Ubuntu based distributions, as each distro utilizes it's own casper-rw file. * Persistence will NOT work on NTFS formatted USB drives. Some Distributions also will not even boot via NTFS!
uteck
join:2009-12-30
Elgin, IL

uteck to rfhar

to rfhar
I have been using MultiSystem for a few years and been happy. It also has the option to enable persistance for the booted image.

It is also linked from the Pen Drive Linux site, but I found an Ubuntu PPA so it gets updated regularly.

TuxRaiderPen2
Make America Great Again
join:2009-09-19

TuxRaiderPen2 to EUS

to EUS
said by EUS:
»www.pendrivelinux.com/yu ··· creator/

said by EUS See Profile
»www.makeuseof.com/tag/ho ··· /[/quote :

I see both of these listed all the time in regards to this question or related|similar...why???

BOTH are wincrap programs, especially the second... and the Linux version of the YUMI is not on par with the wincrap...although from the pendrive site:

Linux Based YUMI Downloads:
Note: I am currently rewriting YUMI for Linux to match YUMI for Windows, so the following tool will dramatically change over the next couple months.

This is one of the reasons I've always dismissed that site.. it relies on using software not wanted, not desired, and simply not available... wincrap.

The second one is a pure wincrap program... so why is it even mentioned?

What good is software I can't use? ? ?

Never really understood why a site promoting PenLinux doesn't get it... duh if I am using Linux I don't have or want wincrap!

KMint Linux had a great tool to do this with their distro, but it seems to have gotten borq'd up when the *buntu based tool it was derived from was seriously changed and didn't support doing this or didn't work well... at least from the experience I had.. been a while since I tried it since I left KMint for straight highly customized Kubuntu...maybe they fixed it... had something to do with the changes in that startup disk creator or something and it was just total garbage v. what was there to start...
said by uteck:
I have been using MultiSystem for a few years and been happy. It also has the option to enable persistance for the booted image.

It is also linked from the Pen Drive Linux site, but I found an Ubuntu PPA so it gets updated regularly.
Where is this PPA? ? Please. What I am finding for a "multisystem" ppa on launchpad doesn't even have that package it is or seems to be totally unrelated from some gogo guy...
uteck
join:2009-12-30
Elgin, IL

uteck to rfhar

to rfhar
said by TuxRaiderPen2:

Where is this PPA? ? Please. What I am finding for a "multisystem" ppa on launchpad doesn't even have that package it is or seems to be totally unrelated from some gogo guy...

deb »liveusb.info/multisystem/depot all main
Sorry, not a PPA but a seperate repo

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

Tirael to uteck

Premium Member

to uteck
Sort of OT: The problem with YUMI and MultiSystem is that you can only have 4GB persistence (I have 128 GB flash drive), so I set up persistence on my own.

Back to the topic: Having used both in Linux, I prefer Multisystem. Sometimes, I would get flash drives that just would not boot that were made by YUMI. YMMV, I guess.