Search similar:

uniqs
Dodge
Premium Member
join:2002-11-27

Dodge

Premium Member

Sump pump

What's the quietest sump pump? I got a Superior pumps brand and it's loud. I don't want to hear the thing.

XBL2009
------
join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

XBL2009

Is it cast iron or plastic?
Dodge
Premium Member

Dodge

Premium Member

The one I got now is plastic, and I know cast iron would be quieter, but out of the multitude of cast iron pumps, which one would be the most quiet.

Richie12
join:1999-08-26
Tinley Park, IL

Richie12 to Dodge

to Dodge
I have a StormPro 1/2 HP Sump Pump . It has great output and is super quiet. You might also want to install one of Campbell Quiet Checkvalve as that could be a source of noise when the sump runs.
caps620
join:2009-01-18
Central NJ

caps620 to Dodge

to Dodge
Liberty 257, all I hear when it runs is the water flowing through the pipe. One thing that can transmit noise is the pipe vibrating.

XBL2009
------
Chicago, IL

XBL2009 to Dodge

to Dodge
Those plastic ones are loud. If you buy any cast iron model make sure it is mostly cast iron, from the bottom to the top. Some of the better models now have plastic tops but are still quiet.

Other things too consider: rubber grommets, anti torque coupler, less sharp angles for the PVC pipe, keep a little more water in the basin, cover for the basin, spring loaded check valve, soundproofing the PVC pipe & below the first floor where the PVC pipe exist.

Maybe just build sump pump closet like people do with fully furnished basements.
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr to Dodge

Premium Member

to Dodge
I want to hear mine, that way you know it's working.
Dodge
Premium Member

Dodge

Premium Member

said by kherr:

I want to hear mine, that way you know it's working.

A flood sensor will tell me if it's not working, I don't need to hear a motor running every 30 seconds, starting to get on my nerves.

XBL2009
------
Chicago, IL

XBL2009

Can you record it and upload the noise?

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to Dodge

Premium Member

to Dodge
said by Dodge:

I don't need to hear a motor running every 30 seconds

That's not a lot of off time. Are you sure the output pipe's check valve is closing? Can you confirm that the sump pit is filling only from the drain tiles and not from water draining back down the outlet pipe?
Dodge
Premium Member

Dodge

Premium Member

The check valve is working correctly. The problem is that the pit is very small and there is a ton of water coming in. I'm planning to make the pit much bigger at some point, but that's not a 'now' project.