Search similar:

uniqs
numb12
join:2014-02-25
nj

numb12

[Electrical] pull a new panel from existing house

hello all.
I am planning to wire a new panel from my house, the distance between the panel and the house is 600 feet and it is a straight line. I am thinking of 2 options here, #1 is let the electrician pull it from the existing house, #2 is let the power company pull it from the street(I dont know the power company will charge me a lot for 600')
The panel will be outside. I need at least 100A from it. I was told to wire it underground will be less cost. Is that correct?

I have a few questions here,
what type of wire will fit this job?

I will dig this trench myself, what is the reasonable price for a licensed electrician for the whole job(labor, material, other fees)

Is it possible to get a new meter from the power company and put it there. it will be the same distance to pull the service from the street. or they will refuse to do it because they dont want to spend 600 feet long wire for only 1 meter.

thanks

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by numb12:

hello all.
I am planning to wire a new panel from my house, the distance between the panel and the house is 600 feet and it is a straight line. I am thinking of 2 options here, #1 is let the electrician pull it from the existing house,

You will need quotes from both for comparison.

#2 is let the power company pull it from the street(I dont know the power company will charge me a lot for 600')

You will have to get the POCO to give you a price.

The panel will be outside. I need at least 100A from it. I was told to wire it underground will be less cost. Is that correct?

The 400 or 600 MCM cable is going to be very expensive.

I have a few questions here,

what type of wire will fit this job?

A 400 MCM copper conductor will limit the voltage drop to 3% or less when supplying 100 amps for 600 feet on a 240 volt system. This size will allow the conductor to be loaded to 80 amps. 100 x 80% = 80 amps. Conductors are only allowed to be loaded to 80% or their rated capacity. If you need the full 100 amps then you would need to use a wire with a rating of 125 amps. 125 x 80% = 100 amps. A 600 MCM copper conductor will limit the voltage drop to 3% or less.

I will dig this trench myself, what is the reasonable price for a licensed electrician for the whole job(labor, material, other fees)

Again you will need quotes from electrical contractors/Electricians

Is it possible to get a new meter from the power company and put it there. it will be the same distance to pull the service from the street. or they will refuse to do it because they dont want to spend 600 feet long wire for only 1 meter.

Again you need to contact your POCO for the answer to that.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to numb12

MVM

to numb12
600' is excessive. At 80% load (80 amps), you are going to need 700 kcmil AL cable (minimum) to compensate for voltage drop. If you plan on utilizing the full 100A, you'll need to compensate.

The problem with VD is you have to size for the "worst case scenario". Transformers won't work well because the load will be in flux. At low load, the voltage will be too high.
Another consideration is you already have VD on the utility service drop to get to panel A.

If you stepped it up to 600V, you could probably get away with 3/0, but then have the expense of 2 fairly big transformers.

Most utilities have a set length they will not exceed on service drops. I've seen numbers all over the map, but it tends to be around 150' - 200'. After that, the customer either pays for the bigger wire, or to bring the transformer closer.

While 5% is ideal, it's not a code requirement - it's merely a suggestion (a good one). What you are really concerned about is keeping the voltage at a usable level for all of your equipment.

When all is said and done, it's probably better to let the power company bring a leg in and set a transformer near the building in question.

If you ever drive around a rural area, you'll see that most farms don't feed off of a road easement transformer. They usually have a center pole near the house with the transformer and a meter loop. After the meter, the drops break off to the house and outbuildings.
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill

power company is not going to run 600 feet of wire at least not in pa, anything after 250 feet will require the transformer to be moved.

this crap is expensive. i have a utility pole on my property. i wanted it moved out of view. not even adding wire, simply moving the pole was 90 bucks a foot. i wanted it moved roughly 100, they quoted me 10k...