spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MPSAN

join:2001-05-15
Portland, OR

[FiOS] POP3 Client for XP instead of Eudora?

Hello ALL:
I have been using Eudora for decades, but ever since Frontier changed to Yahoo Mail (I hate it) I have friends on a list I use, that say they get blank messages. Also, when I get my new mail, it often times out and I have to search again. It ALWAYS works this second time. Some say that a word like this...didn't...comes out with strange characters after the "n".

So, does anyone know of another email program that supports POP3 and can import my rather large address book from Eudora?

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:3
I use Outlook and just reviewed the import process and it states that it can import from Eudora Lite and Pro.

MPSAN

Portland, OR
Thank you, Hank. However, I have always been afraid of Lookout...I mean Outlook...as it just opens attachments. Eudora just d/l them and then you have to click them. Does Outlook keep all items in a thread?

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:3
Outlook does not automatically open the attachments. Yes you can configure rules to place them in specific folders. You can also configure it to use different ports required by the different email servers.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:25
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
reply to MPSAN
Thunderbird's a client I use on my Linux boxen for e-mail. It should still be supported for Windows XP. Give it a look.

Also, *PLEASE* consider using IMAP for your Frontier e-mail. That way if you have a mobile device or another computer with your e-mail set up, or should you ever need access Yahoo's Webmail, everything will be the same across computers. You might as well, considering YMail gives 1TB of mail storage these days...

»help.yahoo.com/kb/index%3b_ylt=A ··· =SLN3361

MPSAN

Portland, OR
reply to MPSAN
Thanks ALL:

I also want to look at Zimbra Desktop. Not sure anyone here has heard of it.

Doug Huffman

join:2007-07-27
Washington Island, WI
reply to MPSAN
I use Thunderbird on Fedora linux and a fee-paid SMTP server.
--
Washington Island, Wisconsin across Death's Door Passage

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to MPSAN
said by MPSAN:

Thank you, Hank. However, I have always been afraid of Lookout...I mean Outlook...as it just opens attachments.

Outlook costs money. Outlook Express is included with Internet Explorer 6 in Windows XP. Outlook Express can be configured to disable the preview pane. But I like Mozilla Thunderbird better. It works very well with IMAP on my old '@pacbell.net' email accounts (which are managed by Yahoo!).
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

MPSAN

Portland, OR
It has been a long time since I looked at Thunderbird.

MPSAN

Portland, OR
Well, I had heard that Thunderbird was no longer being updated. I did not want to go that route as that is what happened to Eudora. I get timeouts, etc.

Anyway, it sure looks like Thunderbird IS still being updated and that I CAN import my address book from Eudora...and old email if I wish. It also looks like it will support several accounts, but I do not know if it merges the email or will it keep the accounts separate? I have my main email on Frontier and wish to create another which will be my Ham Radio Call. That way I can get mail from both id's but I do want them separate.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by MPSAN:

I have my main email on Frontier and wish to create another which will be my Ham Radio Call. That way I can get mail from both id's but I do want them separate.

I have not used POP3 in a long while; I don't recall if Thunderbird POP3 accounts go into a global Inbox. I have nine separate email accounts set up using IMAP in T-Bird. All email is separate.
--
Norman

MPSAN

Portland, OR
Great...I just checked and it looks like you CAN have it all in one or keep them separate. Now I am not sure what I want!

I used to use IMAP at work and liked it, I was not aware that Frontier FIOS had IMAP just POP3.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by MPSAN:

I used to use IMAP at work and liked it, I was not aware that Frontier FIOS had IMAP just POP3.

My former ISP is a Yahoo! partner, and works with IMAP:

Configuring Yahoo! IMAP.

What is really fascinating is the my former ISP allowed me to keep my email accounts as free web mail accounts after I left. I believe this is because the ISP set it up with Yahoo!.
--
Norman

goldrush

join:2012-11-30
New Haven, IN
reply to MPSAN
I use Thunderbird on XP and Windows7; it is still supported and updated-I just received an update last week. Frontier email supports both POP3 and IMAP as does the Thunderbird email client.

MPSAN

Portland, OR
reply to MPSAN
Good to know. I think I will do a TrueImage backup image and see what I can do with Thunderbird. Very often, with Eudora, it tries to get the email and then times out, or gets half of it and when it tells Yahoo to delete the message it times out. I also have some friends who say my email kills some special characters and messes with the fonts. I hope Thunderbird stops all of this!

Still can not decide if I want my 2 frontier ID's to be in the same InBox.

goldrush

New Haven, IN
I have two Frontier mail Id's and in Thunderbird I have an account for each. Therefore, when you sign with Thunderbird, you have a separate Inbox for each ID. You can also configure Thunderbird to leave the emails on the Frontier server after download if you wish. The user community and mozilla knowledge base will help answer any question you have; support is excellent.

Doug Huffman

Washington Island, WI
reply to MPSAN
Character encodings are optional for both incoming and outgoing messages from T'bird. That is probably the reason for your loss of special-characters and messed-up fonts.
--

MPSAN

Portland, OR
reply to MPSAN
Thank you both. So can I assume that if I leave Thunderbird alone I will not have character issues like I do on my old Eudora ver 7?

Doug Huffman

Washington Island, WI
I can't tell if your sent or received characters are being corrupted, but if you and your correspondents use only 'conventional' character sets then you ought'a be OK. I occasionally use special characters.
--

MPSAN

Portland, OR
reply to MPSAN
Well, I just installed TBird. It gave me a warning that Frontier does not use SSL or anything other than a password? Is that correct? I did use POP3.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
Which server did you use? Any Yahoo! server I have used, since at least 2008, has required SSL; either for POP3 (Port 995), or for IMAP (Port 993). This includes ISP accounts from AT&T (either 'pacbell.net', or 'att.net').
--
Norman

MPSAN

Portland, OR
Well, I used pop3.frontier.com ad smtp.frontier.com for my POP3...same as I always did. The Yahoomail transition here on FIOS required no changes.

goldrush

New Haven, IN
reply to MPSAN
From the Frontier tech support site FAQ here is link to setup Thunderbird; scroll down the page to the section "To enable SSL encryption in Thunderbird": »www.frontierhelp.com/faq.cfm?qst ··· nderbird Follow their instructions.

MPSAN

Portland, OR

1 edit
Great, I will try this!
So, I did SSl but I guess we use Normal Password, correct?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Yes.

MPSAN

Portland, OR

1 edit
Great, I do like TBird, but like Eudora, I still get timeouts when checking for email! This never happened before they went to that DARN YAHOO! There should be a setting to extend the timer, and did find one in TBird, but it did not help.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by MPSAN:

Now I need to see how to have TBird check 2 frontier ID's with different passwords. I can not seem to do that without setting 2 profiles, but then I would not be able to have TBird check both, and keep mail separate.

Multiple accounts.

The caveat, here, is that each listed account is an IMAP account; I don't do POP3 any more. Another caveat is that each account must have a separate SMTP account configured; else sending looks like it is coming from a single account.

SMTP server list.

--
Norman

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to MPSAN
said by MPSAN:

I still get timeouts when checking for email! This never happened before they went to that DARN YAHOO!

Unfortunately, this is a perennial problem. The AT&T forums are full of threads, but there has been no resolution. Nor is it the old, "You get what you pay for" aphorism applied to free stuff; the Yahoo!-ISP partner accounts are supposed to be comparable to the paid "Yahoo! Mail Plus" accounts.
--
Norman

MPSAN

Portland, OR
reply to MPSAN
Thank you BOTH, and I did get my 2 frontier id's working. Now, I "may" try to add my GMAIL. It would be great to have t'bird check all my accounts! Not sure what happens to GMAIL Spam folder.

Well, at least TBird does not go crazy on special characters like Eudora did. I tested it with one of my contacts. Eudora messed it up and TB was fine!

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by MPSAN:

I "may" try to add my GMAIL. It would be great to have t'bird check all my accounts!

Mine is set up thus:

IMAP folder configuration.

Not sure what happens to GMAIL Spam folder.

Do not check, "Move new junk messages to:".

Junk settings.

I have several different ESP accounts set up.
--
Norman