spc
uniqs
clone (banned)
join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN

clone (banned) to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd

Re: a lot is due to non unified networks

I can tell you that my Verizon iPhone 5S that I got a subsidy on for signing a new contract is humming away on my AT&T line, with full LTE support and everything.

But feel free to continue to bemoan how bad we have it here in 'Murica, even though it's really not true anymore except for Sprint, they're the last holdout who refuses to unlock their phones/activate other carrier's phones (and also the sole reason I am no longer their customer).
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

As a general rule he is correct and you probably know that.

MOST phones do not support all 4 big carriers in the US so they can't be switched between. Even the Nexus, which is one of the more compatible phones can't be used on all carriers.
wkm001
join:2009-12-14

wkm001 to clone

to clone
The FCC needs to mandate all phones sold in the US work on any network. Before you freak out, frequency planning could easily take place to keep the cost of phones from skyrocketing.
wkm001

wkm001 to Skippy25

to Skippy25
The Nexus 5 works on Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile. If the CDMA part works on Sprint is could easily (through software) work on Verizon. Would only need Verizon LTE bands. The Nexus 5 doesn't work on Verizon because Verizon didn't want it to.

This is the major reason I switched to AT&T. Not for the Nexus 5, but so I can buy a new phone from the manufacturer when I want one, instead of second hand on Craig's List or swappa.com.

pep5e8490213
@northwestern.edu

pep5e8490213 to clone

Anon

to clone
»www.macrumors.com/2013/0 ··· -mobile/