Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to digital808

Premium Member

to digital808

Re: Things are heating up for Oceanic Time Warners Internet Services

said by digital808:

Here's Hawaiian Telcom new pricing for the new internet speeds they are offering.

»www.hawaiiantel.com/Inte ··· ult.aspx

What are the prices after a year?

Hob
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to digital808

Premium Member

to digital808
The upload for all plans except fiber is ridiculous! 50/1??? UGH.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

The upload for all plans except fiber is ridiculous! 50/1??? UGH.

Thats VDSL copper technology for ya.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

VDSL2 (who would use VDSL these days on a new rollout?) is rated for much more than just 1Mbps. 1Mbps is the limit of the old ADSL standard. Even ADSL2+ can get to 3.3Mbps if providers tried.

Konaguy
Live From Hawaii
Premium Member
join:2000-10-21
Kailua Kona, HI
·Hawaiian Telcom

Konaguy

Premium Member

This article goes into a bit more detail about Hawaiian Telcom's broadband/IPTV plans. They're shooting to service up to 250,000 homes on Oahu.

»www.fiercetelecom.com/st ··· 13-06-05
digital808
join:2007-07-28
united state

digital808

It sucks because only certain areas are able to get those fast speeds!
horkboy
join:2005-05-18
Honokaa, HI

horkboy to Mele20

to Mele20
That seems odd, I was getting 3Mbps upload when I had the 20Mbps plan. And I know for a fact it was advertised as 20/3 before they redesigned their website recently.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Click for full size
When I saw that, I wondered if it was a typo as it didn't make sense that 50 down would only have 1 up. But I didn't know as I hadn't been to their website in quite awhile. Fx on their old site or new site barfs if I try to check to see if dsl is available here.

I finally had to use Opera to be able to check regarding broadband from them (even IE 10 wouldn't work and none of the browsers have the mouse pointer working correctly at their new site and their links do not appear to be links). I think it sad that when I put my address in to be checked for availability for internet broadband that I got a page back saying "High Speed Internet - Choose your plan" and then it showed me two phone only plans (not even the one I have). On their old site, a check would say "please get on our waiting list for high speed internet in your area" (or something like that) and give me a link to get on a waiting list. Now they obviously don't intend to ever come where I live and can't be bothered to even tell me that. (Of course, HawTel told me a couple of years ago that if my building would sign a contract with them then they would bring high speed internet to us within one month but other wise no).

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew

Premium Member

nm
stuck
join:2011-05-04
Honolulu, HI

stuck to digital808

to digital808
I currently running the Time Warner's 100 speed, but since I live in a condo. I get awful speeds during nights and weekends. I'm tempted to upgrade to 300 speed offered by Hawaiian Telcom, but if Time Warner releases Maxx here, than I probably pay for cheaper monthly fees with Time Warner. Decisions, decisions, plus I would have to sign for a 1-year contract with Hawaiian Telcom.
digital808
join:2007-07-28
united state

digital808

Fiber to the premises is what Hawaiian Telcom is offering in areas that are able to get fiber. Currently where I live, we only have fiber to node as of right now. Just about 50% of Mililani Mauka has fiber to premises. I'm the other half that don't have! LOL
stuck
join:2011-05-04
Honolulu, HI

stuck

I called Hawaiian Tel, and they indicated that there is fiber to the street but to the condo is copper. I'm not sure if I am going to get constant good speed of 300 mbps. I forgot to ask if they have a 30-day guarantee just in case the speed is not up to par since I would have to sign up for 1-year.
horkboy
join:2005-05-18
Honokaa, HI

horkboy

said by stuck:

I called Hawaiian Tel, and they indicated that there is fiber to the street but to the condo is copper. I'm not sure if I am going to get constant good speed of 300 mbps. I forgot to ask if they have a 30-day guarantee just in case the speed is not up to par since I would have to sign up for 1-year.

Is that even possible, to get 300Mbps over copper even for a short distance from street to premises?

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by horkboy:

Is that even possible, to get 300Mbps over copper even for a short distance from street to premises?

You can run Gigabit Ethernet on copper 300ft.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by DocDrew:

said by horkboy:

that has to be coax based right? I can't see twisted pair supporting 1Gbps now or anytime in the future with the current VDSL profiles.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by motorola870:

said by DocDrew:

said by horkboy:

that has to be coax based right?

Nope it's twisted pair Ethernet (uses all 8 wires), not VDSL.

Just saying it's possible over twisted pair copper.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

yeah but isn't ethernet totally different than old fashioned twisted pair I would just say Cat5e or Cat6 cabling as that could confuse some who has traditional POTS service and used to the two wires not 8 lol!
motorola870

motorola870 to DocDrew

to DocDrew
said by DocDrew:

Nope it's twisted pair Ethernet (uses all 8 wires), not VDSL.

Just saying it's possible over twisted pair copper.

theoretical limits on old fashioned Twisted pair is about 200Mbps single pair and two pairs is 400Mbps using VDSL2

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ve ··· r_line_2

Konaguy
Live From Hawaii
Premium Member
join:2000-10-21
Kailua Kona, HI

Konaguy

Premium Member

The new Hawaiian Telcom speeds will be available to folks with fiber to the home only, as far as I understand. The max available speed on the fiber to the node will be 50Mbps.