Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

[Mav] Clean Install Of Mavericks

I want to do a clean install of Mavericks on 2 machines. Both are currently running Lion. For anyone who has done a clean install of Mavericks, is there a website you would recommend that gives the best instructions?

I've Googled it and found many sites that give them. Thanks.

rjackal
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI

rjackal

Premium Member

I haven't done it, it's not worth the effort for most people, but I found these instructions easy to follow, and I like this site for other OS X info:

»osxdaily.com/2013/10/26/ ··· vericks/

Note you will need to make a bootable USB stick from the downloaded Mavericks installer before you actually install anything. Follow the link in the article about creating a bootable USB stick if you haven't one already.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thanks....It looks pretty comprehensive and easy to follow. I have an unused USB stick just ready to do it with.
Shady Bimmer
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03

Shady Bimmer to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
Another alternative if you have the time is to do the 'upgrade' install via the App Store first. After you've done any testing/verification of your applications on Mavericks and you feel comfortable with it you can do a fresh install via the recovery process (boot with -R).

Of course this only works on "newer" Macs that support internet installs but it is an option. Once you do the upgrade install the recovery boot is updated to reflect Mavericks, which would then be used for full-installs in the future.

This is what I did on my mid-2010 MBP.
Riamen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

Riamen to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
I've used Diskmaker X to create a USB boot drive to install Mavericks.

»liondiskmaker.com/

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thanks both of you. I'm going to tackle it this weekend.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

1 recommendation

not quite right to lordpuffer

to lordpuffer
Here ya go »www.macworld.com/article ··· ive.html

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Click for full size
Using Terminal
The above is from osxdaily. I'm not understanding what to replace "Untitled" with, when using Terminal, to match the name of the external USB flash drive exactly. It may just be another senior moment. Can someone help me with that? Thanks.

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium Member
join:2002-05-29
Baton Rouge, LA

sfogliatelle

Premium Member

I'd scratched my head over the same issue. This thread may shine more of a light on what you're asking: »[Mav] createinstallmedia/Terminal question

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Wow..Same basic issue. I still don't know how to name it to "match the name of the external USB flash drive exactly."

not quite right
Puyallup, WA

not quite right

instructions say when you format the drive you leave it untitled, and you leave it untitled in the command line as well. I'm sure you can replace "untitled" with what ever you named the drive and it would work. IDK because I followed the directions ...

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Now I'm totally confused. One site says one thing and the other says the opposite. Or am I incorrect?

bbarrera
MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA

bbarrera to lordpuffer

MVM

to lordpuffer
said by lordpuffer:

Wow..Same basic issue. I still don't know how to name it to "match the name of the external USB flash drive exactly."

In terminal you can issue command "df -h" or "ls /Volumes" and you will be able to determine the volume name of the USB flash drive. You may want to confirm name by launching Disk Utility.app.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thank you bbarrera. Now I understand.

bbarrera
MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA

1 recommendation

bbarrera

MVM

The createinstallmedia command needs to know which volume to create the installer on, and that information is passed to the command via the "--volume /Volumes/xxxx" command-line option. It won't guess which volume, so you need to determine the name of your external USB drive using command-line or Disk Utility.app.

not quite right
Puyallup, WA

1 recommendation

not quite right to lordpuffer

to lordpuffer
Don't get your feelings hurt, but how did you make something that's relatively easy into something so difficult? LOL
Expand your moderator at work