uniqs

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

[Hardware] Kit Kat for AT&T Galaxy S4 rolls out today....

Just saw that it is coming out today OTA or you can manually check for the update.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thanks for the heads up! If it is going to be anything like upgrading to 4.3 (took me like 3-4 hours to download right when it came out), I'll wait until their servers aren't as busy.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Good idea. I am rooted so the OTA checker doesn't seem to work. Not sure if I am going to upgrade or not.

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium Member
join:2006-07-25
Rochester, NY

unknvoip

Premium Member

I'm on Verizon so I am sure it will be months before the update is available to me. I am not sure I care as I don't see any real compelling features. Anyone seeing something I am missing?

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Nothing major to me, but here is this list.

»www.android.com/versions ··· kat-4-4/

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
I just downloaded and installed KitKat 4.4.2 on my AT&T S4. It took about 30-45 minutes to download over a fairly fast connection (70mbps down). Took about 15 minutes to install.

First impressions: Faster with no noticeable lag. Apps close quickly with back button. I really hope that KitKat fixed the lag, for it was driving me nuts.

attuser
@rr.com

attuser to ptrowski

Anon

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

Good idea. I am rooted so the OTA checker doesn't seem to work. Not sure if I am going to upgrade or not.

same here. my phone works fine with JellyBean.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

I did upgrade and will most likely go back down to 4.2 as 4.4 killed Foxfi.......

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY

Racerbob to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
My HTC One (AT&T) just received the Kit Kat update tonight. Update went smoothly. 619 meg download.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to ptrowski

to ptrowski
I updated my GS4 and really didn't notice any of the cool new features. I guess Samsung and at&t striped them all out ...

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Or obfuscated them with extra layers of GUI and app bloat. #justsayin #AOSPftw

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
In addition to installing 4.4.2 on my A&T S4, I decided to go into developer mode and turn off animations. The phone is so fast now it seems that some of the apps cannot keep up with it.

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium Member
Rochester, NY

unknvoip

Premium Member

said by unknvoip:

I'm on Verizon so I am sure it will be months before the update is available to me. I am not sure I care as I don't see any real compelling features. Anyone seeing something I am missing?

Well it turns out to be two months to be exact. I wanted to check back in to see how the upgrade has settled in with any of you folks. I understand there are some SD card storage concerns and was wondering if anyone had those issues and how you dealt with it?

Thanks all.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium Member
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX

juilinsandar to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
Does anyone know if this kitkat update is also for the S4 Active version or just the regular S4?

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Best would be to try updating it via Settings.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
Got KitKat for my verizon s4 the other day. Phone seems noticeably faster. Not much difference otherwise.

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium Member
Rochester, NY

unknvoip

Premium Member

How is your battery life? Mine seems to drain faster since the update.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna

Premium Member

said by unknvoip:

How is your battery life? Mine seems to drain faster since the update.

Batter seems fine, no issues.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to unknvoip

Premium Member

to unknvoip
Personally I would recommend trying Juice Defender. Great program to eek out battery life.

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium Member
Rochester, NY

unknvoip

Premium Member

I've used Juice Defender for years on the three android phones I have had. My battery issues have settled out somewhat, but I still drain faster than in the past. I have noticed that if I leave some apps running by hitting the home button, they sometimes use battery where they didn't in the past. Also, I had to go through and relearn which apps are allowed to use data and under what conditions.

After doing that my battery life is better, but not what it was pre-kitkat.

GadgetsRme
RIP lilhurricane and CJ
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
Canon City, CO

GadgetsRme to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

Personally I would recommend trying Juice Defender. Great program to eek out battery life.

The other thing to remember is that android phones, like any other computer benefit from a "cold boot" every so often. I try to do mine at least once a week and it seems to help with battery life also. After a "cold boot" Clean Master typically sees memory in use at 35%. After a few days it has crept up and battery life is slipping.

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium Member
Rochester, NY

unknvoip

Premium Member

said by GadgetsRme:

The other thing to remember is that android phones, like any other computer benefit from a "cold boot" every so often.

I do that too, about once a week.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
I sincerely hope that Samsung has fixed some bugs that Google has been moving at a glacial pace to fix in Kit Kat, if they do so at all. I mostly love my 2013 Nexus 7, which features stock Android and quad core power. But it does have bugs that I have waited months and months for a fix that were introduced in the 4.4.2 update. Kind of makes it love/hate. 1 bothersome bug is that auto brightness always selects the minumum brightness, even in direct sunlight. It just does not work. Hardware problem that coincided with Kit Kat update? Nope! I installed my old Juice Defender Ultimate license on it for a particular purpose then decided to enable its auto brightness using the light sensor. Works like a charm. Thank you Latedroid and Juice Defender for this third party workaround that works very well. Screw you Google for letting this go on and on. The other major one is quite the pain in the ass to work around. VPN support just does not work. It will connect, but no packets will be allowed to pass. Some say a routing problem and are probably right as a couple paid VPN apps manage to work around this as does Hola in VPN mode. Hotspot Shield, Tunnelbear, VPN 1 Click? Forget them all. They just do not work in Kit Kat. Google has displayed the same lack of attention to this bug too. Workaround? Connecting my Jellybean based phone to the network and setting up VPN, then tethering the Kit Kat tablet to the phone. Not elegant, but works. But I only use VPN when I really need it as a result as I hate to do these steps every time. I hope Samsung has fixed it for you Samsung owners, but figured I would give a heads up on these issues that still exist in stock Google 4.4.2 Android.
Selenia

Selenia to not quite right

Premium Member

to not quite right
The extra features are subtle. Thing like being able to stream to a Miracast monitor. Otherwise a slight face lift to the GUI(icons and such) and a seemingly faster and more stable kernel vs Jellybean 4.3. This is with stock Android. Despite the bugs I listed, I would not downgrade. KK is a somewhat incremental upgrade as suggested by the version number. Might even be more subtle on Samsung devices with TouchWiz raping the interface.

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

join:2000-10-05
Marina, CA

FutureMon to ptrowski

to ptrowski
With KitKat on my Droid Razr Maxx HD, GPS can no longer be turned fully off. Even with the slider in the off position, the icon on the widget goes to 'half' and it now says it's 'low power mode', and my 4 day battery now only lasts about 2 days.

- FM
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

said by FutureMon:

With KitKat on my Droid Razr Maxx HD, GPS can no longer be turned fully off. Even with the slider in the off position, the icon on the widget goes to 'half' and it now says it's 'low power mode', and my 4 day battery now only lasts about 2 days.

Just FYI, the GPS chip is always powered on. The on/off selection is only to turn app access to the shop on and off. Turning it on should see very little additional power use.

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

join:2000-10-05
Marina, CA

FutureMon

I figured out how to get it completely off. Click on the GPS setting option and then I can slide "Location" to off. Then the widget reports it is completely off (whether it is or not), but "low power mode" still eats more battery than it did before the update to KitKat.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

That setting is still to allow apps access to the chip, not to turn power off to the chip.

mastsethi
join:2012-05-26

mastsethi to ptrowski

to ptrowski
No significant difference from its predecessor.