Secyurityet
Premium Member
join:2012-01-07
untied state
·T-Mobile

Secyurityet to tempnexusawa

Premium Member

to tempnexusawa

Re: What backup software do you recommend for a Windows 7/8 machines?

Windows Home Server 2011. Runs on a separate desktop-class computer (64-bit), backs up all connected windows/mac systems automatically, serves media to the network, gives you a 10-client license and built on Server 2008R2. Easy restore of a file or a whole disk.

~$50 plus hardware.

Even if you don't use the server, $50 for Server 2008R2 is nothing to sneeze at.

Alittlegreen
join:2008-07-24
Montreal, QC

Alittlegreen to trparky

to trparky
said by trparky:

I'm using Acronis True Image 2014 right now. So far I've not had a problem with it.

+2 for me

It's flawless.

blohner
join:2002-06-26
Lehigh Acres, FL

blohner to tempnexusawa

to tempnexusawa
Been using Paragon since 2009. Recently had a HW go bad on a laptop - restored 100% from my Paragon backup with zero issues. Couldn't be happier
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to tempnexusawa

Premium Member

to tempnexusawa
Click for full size
If you have any Seagate or Western Digital drive (internal or external) just get their version of Acronis TI. It's free. It will clone and do full backups. The only thing it won't do that the paid version does is incremental backups which are so IFFY that I won't do them. No problems with full backups but terrible problems if incremental are attempted (even when verified). That's my experience over many years.
coryw
join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw to tempnexusawa

to tempnexusawa
I use TrueImage 2012 on my Windows 7 machines, 2013 on my 8 machines and will probably buy some 2014 licenses when I get ready to upgrade to 8.1 on the 8.0 machines. I've been using it for maybe six or seven years now, on all of the attendant versions of Windows and hardware I've had in that time. (Everything from XP on a Pentium III to my Windows 8 machines.)

I have had really good luck with it on all of my machines except for one, where it's now complaining that it can't find some old backups I made last year. On all of the other machines though, both with my scheduled backups (if I use a plan that doesn't simply fill my backup disks) and with one-offs, I've had no problems whatsoever, and I actually pretty frequently use it to take an image, do something on the machine, and then revert to the image if something goes wrong.

The plan I use tends to involve a weekly full image and a daily incremental or differential, and cleaning up the oldest version chains. (I typically just keep two or three version chains around, just depending on how much stuff there is to keep.)