SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine

Premium Member

[TV] The Americans

I couldn't update an older thread, but The Americans is getting a lot of positive press from reviewers who have seen the first few episodes of the second season. I think I'm going to have to binge-watch Season 1 and come to my own conclusions.

Here are two reviews with excerpts from The New Yorker and The Daily Beast.

»www.newyorker.com/online ··· ans.html

This is a quick post to deliver one message: watch “The Americans.”

It’s not a critic’s job to be a P.R. flack, to sell a show. We’re supposed to maintain healthy boundaries, gazing at art from an Olympian distance. But there are certain TV series that bring out the evangelist in any writer, and, in a world of hype for “prestige cable dramas”—the Internet’s favorite topic to obsess about—FX’s smart thriller “The Americans” came in way too far under the radar last year...

You can certainly start with tomorrow night’s episode and catch up by way of Wikipedia. But I’d recommend skipping work, ignoring your family, going directly to iTunes or Amazon, and watching the first season, binge-style, while drinking vodka. Tell the Jenningses I sent you.

The Daily Beast article compares The Americans to Homeland, with the latter suffering in the comparison:

»www.thedailybeast.com/ar ··· -tv.html

The second season of The Americans—the hourlong FX drama about a pair of married Russian spies (Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell) masquerading as an apple-pie American family in suburban Washington, D.C. at the height of the Reagan Era—is just as smart, gripping, and propulsive as the first. And that's no small feat.

Sophomore seasons can be tricky. Back in the day, a show could limp along for a season or two before finding its voice. In fact, that's how some of the best shows ever started out. Go watch Season 1 of The Simpsons, for example. Or Seinfeld. They're kind of ... uncomfortable...

At first glance, The Americans seems like Homeland's retro cousin. The spies. The international intrigue. The bureaucratic infighting. Even the basic structure is the same: a man and a woman struggling to keep their relationship alive amid the slings and arrows of outrageous counterintelligence. But Season 2 of The Americans makes none of the same mistakes that Homeland made, and the reasons why are revealing. The Russian spy saga was simply better crafted from the start...

Another reason Weisberg set The Americans in the 1980s is that he served as a CIA spy back then, and he brings a granular, first-person knowledge of tradecraft—interrogation, surveillance, encryption, dead drops, disguises, and so on—to bear on every episode. Homeland is at its best when it veers away from soapy romance and returns to its roots, but actual espionage got less and less screen time after Season 1. The Americans, in contrast, never strays far from the operation at hand, and it's more grounded—and fascinating—as a result...

For three seasons, Homeland was too terrified to cut its Carrie-Brody life-support system. By playing it safe, the show suffered. But The Americans is already reinventing itself. Why? Because it has the confidence to know that it's about more than the relationship between two specific characters. Rather it's about the idea of relationships in general, in all their intricacy and weirdness—the secrecy they require, the comfort they create, the confusion they entail, the danger they can unleash. And that never gets old.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

I need to finish up season one soon -- I really liked the first several episodes I watched.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to SixOfNine

Premium Member

to SixOfNine
It's back on tonight here.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to SixOfNine

Premium Member

to SixOfNine
I'm not going to record any more shows. As I tend not to watch them on the DVR anyhow. Instead I'll watch them on Netflix, or Amazon Prime. Netflix has ruined me on watching traditional TV. I want the whole season and I want it commercial free
I know I can use alternative sources like torrent sites to nab the shows, but I want them to get money from me watching the show. Hence why Netflix and Amazon Prime.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to SixOfNine

Premium Member

to SixOfNine
I was wondering what the hell was going on, I was positive it was starting again tonight, since none of the episodes have been pushed to me.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord to Snakeoil

to Snakeoil
I give Netflix my money for the same reason, but I also usenet them.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

I'm reaching the point where I'm waiting a year for this year's crop of new CW shows to watch via Netflix...

SixOfNine
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine

Premium Member

said by darcilicious:

I'm reaching the point where I'm waiting a year for this year's crop of new CW shows to watch via Netflix...

Yeah, I might have to wait until rerun season to do some catching up on some of these shows. I only had time to watch Justified on the DVR last night, and now Arrow is sitting there, and Grimm ends its Olympic hiatus tomorrow.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to SixOfNine

Premium Member

to SixOfNine
Wow........they didn't pull any punches last night,crazy opening.

capecoddah
join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to SixOfNine

to SixOfNine
I remember growing up on Walton's Mountain and my father would say: "Kill a Commie for Mommy, John-Boy".

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008 to SixOfNine

Premium Member

to SixOfNine
The first episode of season 2 was very good.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by Rook008:

The first episode of season 2 was very good.

I thought it started off on a good note.

SixOfNine
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine

Premium Member

I've now watched the first four episodes of season one and it's excellent.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

Isn't it?

RockCake
Premium Member
join:2005-07-12
Woodbridge, VA

RockCake to SixOfNine

Premium Member

to SixOfNine
I'm binging on Season 1 at the moment, and am LOVING it so far. That Keri's ruthless!
that beat-down she did on Claudia/Granny...yikes!

SixOfNine
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine

Premium Member

said by RockCake:

I'm binging on Season 1 at the moment, and am LOVING it so far. That Keri's ruthless!
that beat-down she did on Claudia/Granny...yikes!

Yeah, that was awesome. They have quickly become my favorite American television couple.

RockCake
Premium Member
Woodbridge, VA

RockCake to SixOfNine

Premium Member

to SixOfNine
Well shoot, now I'm all caught up. Waiting week to week sucks now!

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord to SixOfNine

to SixOfNine
Laughed my ass off at the 69 scene.

SixOfNine
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine

Premium Member

Almost caught up - the last episode of the first season is next.

RockCake
Premium Member
Woodbridge, VA

RockCake to SixOfNine

Premium Member

to SixOfNine
I meant to mention this earlier but I also love the music they have woven into some scenes...most notably 'Tusk' in the opening episode to 'Games Without Frontiers' at the end of season 1.

capecoddah
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to SixOfNine

to SixOfNine
Again with the teenage girl?
The bane of my TV viewing is teenage girls.
Literally, figuratively and metaphorically twisting ankles since forever.

RockCake
Premium Member
Woodbridge, VA

RockCake to SixOfNine

Premium Member

to SixOfNine
Paige is getting to be quite the problem child...
Expand your moderator at work

SixOfNine
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine

Premium Member

Re: [TV] The Americans

Good to see Margo Martindale (Claudia) back in the mix. She was also an excellent villainess in a season of Justified.

And I like that way that she doesn't give a crap about what HQ says when things get personal. She killed that CIA employee in season 1 ("you won't be able to move for 20 minutes, but you'll be dead in 10" ), and now she wants to go after the killer of her team without HQ's blessing).

capecoddah
Yarmouth Port, MA

1 recommendation

capecoddah to SixOfNine

to SixOfNine
"Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!"

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord to SixOfNine

to SixOfNine
Anyhone else recognized the meanie from yesterday's episode was Cliff Simon who played Baal on Stargate SG-1?

»www.imdb.com/name/nm0800101/

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Ya I liked him as Baal..............especially when he cloned himself.

SixOfNine
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine

Premium Member

What an awesome episode this past week -- so many layers of deception, so much tension between believing in "the cause" and murdering for the cause finally getting to you (that's you, Phillip).

It's always such delicious irony to see a couple whose external and internal lives are based on lies yelling at their daughter to be honest with them. And that closing scene with the pastor...

Edit: apparently he provided so much detail and color that none other than Ollie North was given a story credit for this episode.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

I loves Stan's reaction to his wife declaring she was going to have an affair............what??

Course I don't blame him with this gal.

»www.imdb.com/name/nm3393 ··· hs_md_sm

SixOfNine
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine

Premium Member

said by ZZZZZZZ:

I loves Stan's reaction to his wife declaring she was going to have an affair............what??

That was delicious, her running off with a fellow est student.

And he remained silent when she asked him if he was having an affair.