join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot

Re: Target Canada suffers $931m loss

said by urbanriot:

Same in Niagara Falls.

Not sure why really, it's not a terrible store although the lighting kind of seems very clinical and sterile. The prices do seem a bit higher than ghetto Walmart in St. Catharines but they seem to have a slightly better selection.

They did a good job of keeping the US and Canadian stores the same as the layout of the store in Welland is identical to the one on Elmwood Ave in Buffalo. Were it not for the Starbucks at the entrance, the lack of people and empty shelves I might have actually thought I was in the US.

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
It's been a long time, but I remember Walmart's first years in Canada were not so great either. I'm sure they will eventually figure out eventually how to make their stores work in Canada, hopefully before they pull the plug if ever. I think a lot of their supply problems are more to blame with Target using a 3rd party distribution company.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by ArthurS:

It's been a long time, but I remember Walmart's first years in Canada were not so great either. I'm sure they will eventually figure out eventually how to make their stores work in Canada, hopefully before they pull the plug if ever. I think a lot of their supply problems are more to blame with Target using a 3rd party distribution company.

the Walmarts here are and were always busy...i avoid them both for the chaos and the sketchy people who frequent them.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Dude, anyone who doesn't live in a brand new neighbourhood on the edge of London is a sketchbag to you. If you *really* want to see "sketchy" visit a Walmart within the City of Buffalo.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

no, we have our fair share of sketchy people here too...the last time my wife and i went there (last summer), some white trash looking woman (which seem common there) was cussing and swearing up a storm while smoking a cigarette and talking to her friend (they were walking just a few feet ahead of us)...as we merged together to enter the store, she takes on last drag of her cigarette and flicks it behind herself (not even looking), where it ended up hitting my wife in the leg...i would like to say we were shocked, but we weren't.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Haha! Man are you ever sheltered. Quite honestly that's absolutely nothing. While that may rude that's not necessarily someone who is truly sketchy.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

ok, i guess trashy is the better word.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

FYI: Sketchy means on/recently-on meth/crack or some other speed-ish drug.

PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to nitzguy

Premium Member

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

Our american friends on this forum must find this all laughable ...considering they can go into their local dollar tree and get some knock off tylenol or advil for $1 US...no tax (at least in michigan)...with no pharmacist neccessary...it didn't kill me as I needed it the following day .

There was also knock off cough medicine and other stuff....it just kinda floored me how our countries are so different...

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this.

AFAIK Tylenol (acetaminophen, also called paracetamol) is OTC in both countries. Further, in Canada you can buy some Tylenol with Codeine, as OTC, while in US a prescription is needed for any codeine product.

Or were you talking about price difference, or the availability of generics, or are there provincial restrictions on product sales?

Things like Reactine (Zyrtec in US) were OTC in Canada much earlier than US.
PX Eliezer1

PX Eliezer1 to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues

End of era as founding Calgary Liquidation World store closes

The Liquidation World store in northeast Calgary, where the chain first began in 1986 and then spread across the country, is no longer in business as well as the only other city store near Chinook Centre.

“This is a corporate decision,” said the former employee, of the American-based Big Lots retailer which purchased Liquidation World in 2011. “I don’t know. Business was booming. It was busy. But the market was tough. There’s lots of competition now. That hurt business a little bit.

“It is a sad day. Customers were coming here today. I met a woman who was a first shopper when Liquidation World first opened. Thirty years she shopped here. She was crying.”

»www.calgaryherald.com/bu ··· ory.html

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

they have/had a Liquidation world around the corner from my work...they rename itself LW (not sure why, but whatever)...i was in it once...not surprised they are going under.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira

Premium Member

Anyone ever been to KW surplus in Kitchener. Fun place to wander around if you have an hour or two. Camping stuff, hardware, tools, clothes, electronics.....

As for Target I have yet to visit one. Gotta go and see what all the disappointment is all about. I miss the local Zellers.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

my wife went to Target a couple of times, only to find they didn't have the items advertised...i was in it once, just looked like a "pretty Zellers", which wasn't that great either.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1

OTC in your case and OTC in our case are much different. Price difference, I couldn't get any tylenol/advil knockoff for less than 4 or 5 bucks....typically, outside of small convenience stores, you don't see those kinds of things on the shelves.....

Availability, in canada, most medications require a pharmacist on duty....they will lock up these areas otherwise and they are inaccessible when the pharamcist isn't on...which at least up here in sudbury we don't have 24h pharamcies but down south its much more common....yes while tylenol with codeine is otc, its sort of otc you have to ask the pharmacist and you go through the 3rd degree to get it, but conversely you can get hydrocortisone otc in the us, but not in canada...so it works both ways...(That actually surprised me).

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0

Re: End of era as founding Calgary Liquidation World store closes

said by dirtyjeffer0:

they have/had a Liquidation world around the corner from my work...they rename itself LW (not sure why, but whatever)...i was in it once...not surprised they are going under.

Big Lots bought Liquidation World (LW was just a branding, they were always Liquidation World) and then started to convert stores to the Big Lots brand a bit at a time. The first Big Lots store in Canada was the former Liquidation World in Niagara Falls, it was converted in the Fall.

A few months ago they announced that they were closing all of the stores, citing lower than expected profits.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to nitzguy

MVM

to nitzguy

The dep in my apartment building sells OTC stuff...

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

I went to the Target in Welland a few weeks back. It was kind of depressing to see how empty the place was.

I pulled into the parking lot at same Target, had to pull up their website to check if it was closed because there were no cars.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by Last Parade:

I pulled into the parking lot at same Target, had to pull up their website to check if it was closed because there were no cars.

Wow.

I recently advised someone who was starting a new business, to park his car in a parking space where it was visible from the street because otherwise his parking lot looked empty---and people don't want to go into a totally empty parking lot.
PX Eliezer1

PX Eliezer1 to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

The dep in my apartment building sells OTC stuff...

Ah, so now I have learned what dep (dépanneur) means!

Never heard it before.

Somewhat like a bodega, I suppose.
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
Target to expand further in Canada with nine new stores in 2014.

»www.torontosun.com/2014/ ··· -in-2014
------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------

cutting jobs and opening new stores eh, seems like they are banking big on Canada....i think that data breach will turn a lot of customers away, plus a whole lot of what everyone else posted here.

but you have to love this quote...lol

"They are never going to have U.S. prices in Canada, so somehow they have to communicate that Target Canada is its own experience and that while it is not the same as the U.S. experience, it is still special."
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
I've been to the Square One Target a couple of times and to say I was underwhelmed is an understatement. Yes it is much cleaner and brighter than the Zellers it replaced but the whole place had a clinical or sterile quality about it. That does not make for a pleasant shopping experience.

Zellers had character. Target not so much (at least not yet).
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

I have no mouth and I must shop.

It's been forever since I've been to a Zeller's, but I have to agree on the Target stores at least here in the US.

Clinical and sterile are good words.

I think that some of it may be due to the color schemes, the type of fluorescent lighting they use....

Wal-Mart is similar, but not so much orange....

[The photo caption is derived from a Harlan Ellison story].

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

The best way I described Target was a cleaned up Zellers, towards the end (before liquidation) the stores were getting dumpier by the day, but at least the shelves were always full.

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

The best way I described Target was a cleaned up Zellers, towards the end (before liquidation) the stores were getting dumpier by the day, but at least the shelves were always full.

Been inside Target once, in my Mall. Looks exactly like the Zellers, but cleaner with far more polite sales people. There's nothing I want to purchase from there.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

1 edit

elwoodblues

Premium Member

There is nothing to purchase, while Donoero likes to lounge pantless (hoping the Milf across the street sees something )I prefer to lounge in sweat shorts,which I can't find in the a couple of the targets I visited.

Bender2000
Bite My Shiny Metal Ass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-06
J7W 8E4

Bender2000 to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
I've come to realize that Target (Canada) is a pretty crappy store. I thought the US version was alright when I've been to the states. I decided not too long ago that I'd give Target another shot and see if they had any jackets. My jacket was in worse shape than the people with "Homeless, broke and hungry, anything will help" signs at various intersections lol.

So, I popped into the nearest Target, went to the mens section, and didn't see a jacket anywhere. I eventually found an employee (the place was like a ghost town, all was missing was tumbleweed) and asked about men's jackets. No men's jackets in the men's section, maybe at the front of the store where the women's section is. What the hell?!? Well, I found no men's jackets at all. Ended up getting a nice jacket at L'Equipeur (aka Mark's work warehouse), ironically owned by Canadian Tire (that article mentions competition with CT and Walmart). I've decided I will no longer even waste my time by walking into a Target store.

I have a hard time believing Target will survive in Canada. Not unless they a) fill the shelves and b) reduce their expensive prices (they are more expensive than walmart).

Treegravy
Premium Member
join:2011-04-21
Canada

Treegravy to TLS2000

Premium Member

to TLS2000
said by TLS2000:

All LP people have handcuffs, even at Walmart. They're essentially a requirement of the job. It's dangerous to make an arrest without handcuffs.

Uh, you're most likely right, TLS2000, and in my state of mind I was looking for "Americanish" cultural exports in the form of security consciousness -- The American Embassy in Ottawa is a study in "target hardening" -- and inadvertently transferred my unease of American Imperialism (if that's even a valid concept in Canada, lol) to the security guards when I caught sight of the handcuffs.
Though, in other stores' places, the guards don't appear to be floor staff and I've never noticed handcuffs on "regular" guards.

Anyway, the take away, like most here, was that it was a hospital Zellers lacking the unique offerings of the southern stores. Particularly in the realm of lithium battery powered dustbusters and the Blue Dot furniture. Not having the latter, especially, was not the swiftest move since the "Tarjay" angle needs that designer stuff.

Mrs., loves the Denizens so we'll trek out there sometime.

Bender2000
Bite My Shiny Metal Ass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-06
J7W 8E4

Bender2000 to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

said by nitzguy:

Our american friends on this forum must find this all laughable ...considering they can go into their local dollar tree and get some knock off tylenol or advil for $1 US...no tax (at least in michigan)...with no pharmacist neccessary...it didn't kill me as I needed it the following day .

There was also knock off cough medicine and other stuff....it just kinda floored me how our countries are so different...

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this.

AFAIK Tylenol (acetaminophen, also called paracetamol) is OTC in both countries. Further, in Canada you can buy some Tylenol with Codeine, as OTC, while in US a prescription is needed for any codeine product.

Or were you talking about price difference, or the availability of generics, or are there provincial restrictions on product sales?

Things like Reactine (Zyrtec in US) were OTC in Canada much earlier than US.

I was in the states recently and was shocked to see I could obtain Aleve (15 tablets) for $1 at the dollar store (I believe it was dollartree). Here, if you ask for Aleve (behind the counter), they'll sell it to you, but they will take down your name, phone number, address and medicare card # !!! You pay something like $10 for 30 pills if I'm not mistaken.

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

Isn't Aleve just naproxen? I'm pretty sure you can get a giant bottle of it at Costco for less than $10 for the Kirkland brand right off the same shelf where the ibuprofen and acetaminophen are sitting.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

Yeah, it's available at Costco at $20 for 320... so it's actually still a bit cheaper than the dollar stuff.

But it's even cheaper at the US Costco ($15/400)