mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to Styvas

Premium Member

to Styvas

Re: Target Canada suffers $931m loss

Not that long ago you couldn't get Aleve OTC in Canada. I had a friend who made regular trips to the US in part to buy her supply of naproxen.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to ekster

Premium Member

to ekster
Generic pain relievers are a lot cheaper in the US than they are in Canada. PPIs are also OTC in the US where they are prescription only here.

Though, you can't get ibuprofen above 200mg in the US OTC like you can here.

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

said by Gone:

Generic pain relievers are a lot cheaper in the US than they are in Canada. PPIs are also OTC in the US where they are prescription only here.

Generally speaking, I find anything over the counter is much cheaper in the US (situation is obviously different for presceiption drugs). I still go down once every spring and stock up on generic Allegra, which is far cheaper in the US then what we can get here (also a higher dose, 180mg vs. 120mg). Before I started my current job, I also used to pick up Omeprazole down in the US because the cost was so much lower than at the pharmacy counter here. CBSA has never given me a hard time about it.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Yeah, I stock up on generic acetaminophen and ranitidine every few months. It costs about a fifth what it does here. Even generic cortisone cream is significantly cheaper.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to Styvas

Premium Member

to Styvas

Canada

USA

One major difference between the Canadian and US markets is that "Aspirin" is still a brand name in Canada, the corresponding generics have to be called acetylsalicylic acid or ASA.

Whereas aspirin is a [generic] name in the US, and has been so for decades.

So the trademark promoted in the US is "Bayer" itself.
PX Eliezer1

PX Eliezer1 to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

Yeah, I stock up on generic acetaminophen and ranitidine every few months. It costs about a fifth what it does here. Even generic cortisone cream is significantly cheaper.

Just a general note, one must be careful between countries.

Rubex in US is doxorubicin, a powerful cancer drug. Rubex in Ireland is Vitamin C.

Cenestin in US is an estrogen hormone medication, the closely-named Canesten in Canada is an antifungal.

-----

Even generic names can differ. Generic names are themselves a shorthand of the full chemical name.

Classic example with Asthma rescue inhalers:

What Canada and most countries call [salbutamol], the US calls [albuterol], same exact medicine.

AppleGuy
Premium Member
join:2013-09-08
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
I blame their issues on two things; one - poor planning.
Two - Wal*Mart. Wal*Mart opened up 3 stores (including a super megastore) just in this area. The Wal*Marts are busier than the Targets, but they aren't nearly as busy as they were 3 years ago. I was at the Wal*Mart on Tuesday and it was as depressing as Target. Only different is the polished concrete floor, blue colouring, music playing and stocked shelved.

Target, on the other hand, no music (they claim this is what people want), red colour and bare shelves.
AppleGuy

AppleGuy to nitzguy

Premium Member

to nitzguy
Well, at the Dollarama's in Southern Ontario you can buy tylenol, advice, condoms, pregnancy tests, vitamins, etc. Not sure why Northern Ontario would be different.
AppleGuy

AppleGuy to koira

Premium Member

to koira

Re: End of era as founding Calgary Liquidation World store closes

said by koira:

Anyone ever been to KW surplus in Kitchener. Fun place to wander around if you have an hour or two. Camping stuff, hardware, tools, clothes, electronics.....

Tell them the address! Tell them the address! -- 666 Victoria Street!

KW Surplus, aka "army surplus store". You can find some seriously weird shit in there. Stuff you didn't even know existed. Good alternative to ebay for finding rare products. It truly is a redneck hangout though. Can't wait for spring, to get my hotdog from the outdoor vendor.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to AppleGuy

to AppleGuy

Re: Target Canada suffers $931m loss

Not all Dollarama's in Southern Ontario carry tylenol. A lot of the time it's some random generic brand that uses the same font as the Tylenol logo to fool you.

AppleGuy
Premium Member
join:2013-09-08
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy

Premium Member

I know...he was saying about his friends in the States being able to buy generics at the DollarTree. You can do the same here. Although the Dollarama's here do actually carry the proper Advil and Tylenol. $2 for the small cylinders.

Hydraglass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-08

1 recommendation

Hydraglass to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
Lets see... if I go to Wal-Mart I have 20 aisles of groceries that are pretty well stocked, produce, bakery, hot food, cheap prices on housewares and electronic goods, a VQA wine rack, a McDonalds, a Digital Photo Printing kiosk, an optometrist, 4 clean washrooms, automotive supplies and equipment, and in the spring and summer a large outdoor garden center - not to mention a new "Beer Store" in the same parking lot... if I go to Target (2 blocks further) - I have a store with poorly stocked shelves, prices higher than WalMart, an electronics department with prices higher than Best Buy or Future Shop, letalone WalMart, no produce, no bakery, no hot food, no VQA store, no automotive department, no garden center, and I have to fight with parking in a mall parking lot with tons of cross-traffic... Oh and not to mention Target is on 2 stories which means fighting with the cart escalator - IF it's working - and if it's not - having to go to the back corner of the store to use the elevator with my shopping trolley.

Hard choice to make eh? I pretty much only buy something at Target if I'm already in the mall and need something simple and quick.. that's about the extent of purchases they'll get out of me.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
My favourite thing about shopping at Target: How quiet it is.

Not good for overall sales. But great for keeping me as a customer.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by graniterock:

Wow.

In the US, Target is quiet because we're afraid to shop there unless we have lots of cash instead of using the credit cards.

But I guess that in Canada, Target simply sucks without needing help from outside hackers.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to graniterock

to graniterock
said by graniterock:

Not good for overall sales. But great for keeping me as a customer.

I dunno, I find the utter silence kinda creepy (Conversely the noise in Wal Mart is enough to make me want to wear noise cancelling headphones when I have to go in there with my friends, who are Wal Mart groupies)

NefCanuck

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I suspect that it has something to do with the way Target decorates their stores, because even the ones over in Buffalo that occasionally have a full parking lot still sound quiet. Maybe it's all the carpet tile that absorbs sound? who knows?
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck

said by Gone:

I suspect that it has something to do with the way Target decorates their stores, because even the ones over in Buffalo that occasionally have a full parking lot still sound quiet. Maybe it's all the carpet tile that absorbs sound? who knows?

Dunno, but it's sure different than the Wal Mart experience

NefCanuck

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

For sure. It most definitely is different.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
IIRC correctly when a brand name becomes a common term it's not longer protected under copyright. Aspirin became the most common term for any kind of analgesic , in the same fashion that Kleenex has become the common term for tissue paper.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS

TLS2000

Premium Member

TNT was a really good example of that. It's a generic term for dynamite now.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

TNT/Trinitrotoluene is an actual chemical compound, though. It would be like using the name ASA/Acetylsalicylic Acid for every pain reliever rather than just the trade-name Aspirin.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to TLS2000

Premium Member

to TLS2000
Related example of different generic names, though:

As a medication (not explosive), the US generic name is nitroglycerin, most other countries it's glyceryl trinitrate.
PX Eliezer1

PX Eliezer1 to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Aspirin became the most common term for any kind of analgesic , in the same fashion that Kleenex has become the common term for tissue paper.

Which indeed is how protection gets lost.

But "Aspirin" is still a trademarked name in Canada, and "Kleenex" still is in both Canada and the US.

Registered trade-marks that have become part of everyday language but are nevertheless registered (Canadian) trade-marks include "yo-yo," "bubble wrap," and "Kleenex."

»www.cipo.ic.gc.ca/eic/si ··· 360.html

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

That's interesting. I know about the other ones, but bubble wrap is new to me. Never heard of that brand (though I don't exactly buy a lot of bubble wrap...)

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
Seriiously? You going to say I'm going to take some ASA or an aspirin?

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal

Mod

I would say "take some Aspirin", just like take some Tylenol / Advil / Aleve / etc. I'd use it as a brand name, not a generic reference to a product, as I wouldn't say take some acetominophen / ibuprofen.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

I thought I was the only one that never called it aspirin unless I specifically meant Aspirin... always found that kind of weird.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
Click for full size
Another valuable Bayer brand name: Heroin.

Yes, they originated it (as a cough medicine) and Heroin was a Bayer brand.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Kardinal

Premium Member

to Kardinal
said by Kardinal:

I would say "take some Aspirin", just like take some Tylenol / Advil / Aleve / etc. I'd use it as a brand name, not a generic reference to a product, as I wouldn't say take some acetominophen / ibuprofen.

That's my argument, when does the brand name become a common term and no longer worthy of protection.
elwoodblues

elwoodblues to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
And don't forget Cocaine.