spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Rubens
join:2014-02-26
haiti

Rubens

[ipv6] IPV6 connectivity

Good morning to all. It's for the first time i use this Forum and i'm very happy to make that.
I've a question about ipv6 connectivity to upstream provider. I would like to know how i can do to keep separated ipv4 data stream and ipv6 data stream?
quesix
join:2005-12-19
Cary, IL
ARRIS SB6141
Cisco 2851
Asus RT-AC66

quesix

Re: [ipv6] IPV6 connectivity

In some ways they are separated by nature, similar to how TCP/IP and IPX/SPX was. If you want physical separation, you could use VLANs for LAN, and two separate WANs. But, for compatibility during the transition over next couple decades you want both IPv4 and IPv6 access to hosts. A completely separate VLAN with Ipv6 only will be very limited in function on today's internet, and would only be used for testing and lab purposes. What is your goal and available equipment and ISP connection(s)? Most ISPs do not offer IPv6 only connections, but if you don't assign IPv4 addresses or translate them to a LAN with NAT (not used in IPv6), it will only use IPv6 on that connection. Same on other connection if you don't turn on IPv6, only Ipv4 will work over that connection. The default is to use Both on same WAN internet connection.
quesix

1 edit

quesix to Rubens

to Rubens
p.s. You could have Dual NICs at host end to separate traffic as well. And use different Firewalls for the two protocols (or none), long as you setup the LAN/VLANs correctly.

single internet may be able to have seperate streams like this or simular:

cable modem -> dumb hub (cannot have MAC address) -> 4 Ethernet Linux firewall (2 port IPv6, 2 IPv4, 1 each WAN and LAN)
Rubens
haiti

Rubens

Thanks for the answer, but i want to talk about the stream from the upstream provider to the local ISP. I know i have a border router which interface with the router of my upstream provider. what i want to say is : DO the media wich transport the ipv6 stream have to be the same than the media of ipv4?

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm to quesix

Premium Member

to quesix
said by quesix:

cable modem -> dumb hub (cannot have MAC address) -> 4 Ethernet Linux firewall (2 port IPv6, 2 IPv4, 1 each WAN and LAN)

Why a dumb hub and not an unmanaged switch?

Thank you
quesix
Cary, IL
ARRIS SB6141
Cisco 2851
Asus RT-AC66

2 edits

quesix to Rubens

to Rubens
Dual Stack IPv6/IPv4 connections which are the most common (and possibly only available supported option at this time), the same media is used.

Although Technically it can be separate, but requires special setup on ISP and User ends, And is impractical in most cases. I do have one case in which DSL/Cable is used for IPv4 and long haul T1 for Ipv6, with different ISPs, because their primary ISP did not support IPv6. (I only setup the secondary ISP T1 connection with IPv6, on both ISP and user ends)

edit: was still typing when switch question came in, problem is cable modem will attach to mac address of switch, but it may be possible, if switch is truly "dumb" in sense it does not respond to ARPA? requests by the cable modem, or whatever it is...that causes problems.

p.s. on Second thought the hub/switch may NOT WORK, since two WANs would have different MAC addresses... maybe if you fool the linux box into using same MAC somehow...

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

rchandra to Rubens

Premium Member

to Rubens
The absolute answser is "no." If you want totally separate links for each of the two protocols, have at it. However, I think it will be quite difficult indeed to find a service provider to do that as most of them simply multiplex the two over the same link. Maybe I'm just dumb, but I cannot foresee a network engineering reason why you would WANT to do this. Perhaps if you were worried about some sort of packet flooding over one protocol starving out traffic on the other protocol, it might be marginally justified.

It's your money, and you can spend it any way you want, but for the costs of duplicating everything, for asymptotic to everyone the cost is not justified.
quesix
Cary, IL
ARRIS SB6141
Cisco 2851
Asus RT-AC66

4 edits

quesix to Rubens

to Rubens
For your information, It appears only one ISP in Haiti has any IPv6 connections to internet upstream providers at this time. That is Multilink SA, per public records. IPv6 Block 2001:1370::/32. Their website does not have an IPv6 address, nor does it load on IPv4 from here.

And it's tunneled thru HE.NET

tracert 2001:1370::1 results:
7 3 ms 3 ms 3 ms 2001:5a0:100:700::2d
8 4 ms 3 ms 11 ms 2001:5a0:40:200::a
9 41 ms 32 ms 41 ms 10ge3-2.core1.atl1.he.net [2001:470:0:2b2::2]
10 48 ms 48 ms 48 ms 10ge4-1.core1.mia1.he.net [2001:470:0:a6::1]
11 48 ms 48 ms 48 ms ge0-1.tserv16.mia1.ipv6.he.net [2001:470:0:a1::2
]
12 106 ms 111 ms 105 ms multilink-1-pt.tunnel.tserv16.mia1.ipv6.he.net [
2001:470:13:71::2]
13 Destination host unreachable.

Not too bad, only 30ms latency added based on website IPv4 block (77-80ms via UUnet a division of Verizon), and assuming that 105-111ms IPv6 hop is in Haiti. Probably better test if done from Miami instead.

We got any French speakers in here?

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

1 recommendation

tubbynet to aefstoggaflm

MVM

to aefstoggaflm
said by aefstoggaflm:

Why a dumb hub and not an unmanaged switch?

if the switch participates at all in spanning-tree or any other layer-2 protocols, the cable modem will pick up the mac address of the switch -- preventing the cable modem from picking up the router's mac and preventing communication.

it is possible to use a managed switch and disable stp on the vlan, as well as things like cdp/lldp on the interface and accomplish the same thing.

q.
Rubens
haiti

Rubens to quesix

to quesix
Thanks. how are you doing to know that Mutilink S.A has an IPV6 connections. It may be helpful for me?
quesix
Cary, IL
ARRIS SB6141
Cisco 2851
Asus RT-AC66

quesix to Rubens

to Rubens
Public records show 5 IPv6 assignments in Haiti, 4 do not show in global routing tables. That 5th one is Multilink SA. Therefore only Multilink SA has the possibility of providing you any Dual Stack IPv6/IPv4 connection at this time.

»www-public.it-sudparis.e ··· /HT.html

show ipv6 route (list above) from my border IPv6 router in Chicago area.
2001:1370::/32 only positive result

traceroute 2001:1370::1 as above from Chicago area native IPv6 connection.

last two tests only available from a working IPv6 global connection, but there are some websites that list by ASN like: »www.cidr-report.org/v6/as2.0/ which would require additional steps. Such as looking for all Haiti ASNs in online tables from »www-public.it-sudparis.e ··· /HT.html

If you are not in Haiti or another country with limited deployment these tests may not be of use (fastest if you have access to working IPv6 global connection as well).
Rubens
haiti

Rubens

Great quesix. I think you can help me for my homework. I've to allow an ISP to provide ipv6 connectivity to its customers. But for the moment the ISP network is providing ipv4 connectivity. How can you help me?
quesix
Cary, IL
ARRIS SB6141
Cisco 2851
Asus RT-AC66

4 edits

1 recommendation

quesix to Rubens

to Rubens
homework? that question is too broad. There are many parts that need to come together. Is that the exact question to be answered? Is so they may be looking for a general outline of all the steps required. stuff like, obtaining addresses, configuring, adding DHCP-PD pools, setting up clients...how broad is you IPv4 knowledge? do you know how to setup a new IPv4 based ISP network?

And yes I have done it myself, for real (not homework).

Are you doing a term paper? You might want to start at www.lacnic.net and find out how to get IPv6 address assignment for your existing ASN.
Rubens
haiti

Rubens

I don't find the real wrd tou use, but i can't explain it like: I'm at the end of my Study and the memory 've to do is about this question : Allow an ISP to provide Internet service to its customers via ipv6.
Expand your moderator at work
quesix
Cary, IL
ARRIS SB6141
Cisco 2851
Asus RT-AC66

4 edits

quesix to Rubens

to Rubens

Re: [ipv6] IPV6 connectivity

I'm sorry, that is too complicated (and too general at same time) to explain on this forum, even more so with the language barrier.

starting point in French
»fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Re ··· A9gional

Unfortunately most everything else is not available in French.

Have you tried contacting Multilink SA office in Haiti to see if they can help/meet with you?

»www.pagespro.ht/en/compa ··· link-s-a

If that doesn't work perhaps you can contact someone in France. (Orange France has most Ipv6 deployed, »www.orange.fr/)

p.s. sounds like a "term paper" to me.