All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
sndsl
join:2014-02-26
North York, ON

sndsl

Which is better for price TekSavvy or acanac ?

hey

i am between this two to get internet.
i am paying $55 with acanac. for dsl 15 mbps. TekSavvy is around same.
which is better to get? or is there anythign better out in market that offer unlimited download and upload?

Thank you

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

1 edit

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

Well you can't beat a TekSavvy agent answering your questions! Maybe I'm a tad biased but you now know who's getting my vote!

But to be clear our 15/1 is $47.99 and 15/10 is $49.99. I'm not sure if your $55 was including taxes.

Let us know if you have questions about our services and we'll gladly answer you.

Martin
the1bobcat
join:2011-11-06
Brampton, ON

the1bobcat to sndsl

to sndsl
I used to be an Acanac customer, now Teksavvy, and can speak to a lot of differences between the two companies.

Yes, the prices are very similar. Acanac has always unlimited usage; but speed is slowed to half speed during prime time. Teksavvy's unlimited plans are costlier; but their capped plans offer unlimited during the night 2am to 8am. No slow downs.

Both companies are at the whim of the incumbent suppliers when it comes to hook up and such. This is a problem for all independent ISP's not just these two.

Acanac has a lot of helpful people on their forums that are all volunteers. I used to post there fairly often. Teksavvy's forums are just meh. I've used Teksavvy's forums here on DSLReports more than their web site.

Customer service is really where the two are galaxies apart. I have said this in my reviews of both companies but i will say it here too. I've spoken to Acanac CS agents in Tennessee, Africa and the Philippines. None were able to help when I had a serious issue, nor did they offer any sort of alternative. They just couldn't satisfy the customer. Then when there is a major issue they hide behind what I call an 'email wall' and they ignore all emails. God help you if you run into this. Remember, these were my experiences. I could tell you of my friends too but won't. His was worse than mine.

I signed up with Teksavvy this past August. In every dealing with them from scheduling hookup, info on the costs and other issues, I got friendly, efficient, knowledgeable service from people who use the same service I use. I've not had a major issue with Teksavvy but I think I can safely assume that the service will be just the same.

Ultimately, its up to you but I recommend Teksavvy.

Canaca
Premium Member
join:2007-03-05
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

I don't want to get involved in this post aside from correcting one statement above.

As for Feb 1st 2014 we no longer have any type of rate limiting. Service remains fully unlimited.
shoeman
join:2013-10-03

shoeman

I've had both as well (7 years with Acanac DSL, 4 years with TekSavvy cable) and I can say that both offer pretty decent services. Prices are slightly lower with Acanac, true, and TekSavvy goes out of their way on social media, but as both are heavily dependent on incumbent service providers, neither can necessarily do much when the stuff hits the fan.

I maybe had to call Acanac twice in 7 years, and both times it was Bell's issue to resolve. I've had to contact TekSavvy more times than I can count, many times they've tried to help diagnose the problem, but again, it was mainly Rogers to blame and fix.

For me, there is no difference in support when either companies are at the mercy of the big boys.

eeeaddict
join:2010-02-14

eeeaddict to sndsl

to sndsl
I've been on acanac for 5 years now and had less problems than my TSI friends though he's only had one outage, as long as you don't have any issues no one really beats acanac for the money
sndsl
join:2014-02-26
North York, ON

sndsl

i agree customer service for acanac is horrible ... but i guess you get what you pay for..
any other service that is similar?
Guru
join:2008-10-01

Guru

said by sndsl:

i agree customer service for acanac is horrible ... but i guess you get what you pay for..
any other service that is similar?

You can check out Start!
adit7
join:2013-04-02
Oakville, ON

adit7

said by Guru:

You can check out Start!

+1

Alittlegreen
join:2008-07-24
Montreal, QC

Alittlegreen to sndsl

to sndsl
Although there are quite a few out there such as Velcom (400gb cap) & Vmedia (unlimited), all for roughly the same price. At the end of the day, it boils down to what you place the most value on.

You should look for customer reviews of the above two co. as well as any other ISP you're considering. This should give you a fair idea of the quality of staff and service you'll be dealing with.

For the user that stays within the cap, the price difference is usually less than a trio at McD.

What you get in return with TS, is a co. that's grown it's client base by demonstrating integrity in the way they conduct their business. Unfortunately a rarity today.

After speaking to a co-worker about the "crazy deal" he was getting with another indie ISP I started looking at alternatives. Well a couple of days later, articles started coming out about how TS was the only one of the ISPs that stood it's ground and defended the privacy of it's subscribers. (simply search for "voltage" & "teksavvy"). While other ISPs did the exact opposite... Hard to put a price on that.

They don't trap you into prepaying a year in advance and then spike your rate, like some others do. (read the fine print about the promotional prepaid rate)

Don't get me wrong; This isn't to say that TS is impeccable. At the end of the day, the Canadian telecom landscape is such that they rely on someone else's wire coming into your house. And someone else's technician setting things up. But they again, this isn't something that's likely to change any time soon. And given our current landscape, they do a pretty decent job at helping he customer along as much as humanly possible.

I think this may be the longest post I've ever written, but i just thought of something... (can't you see the smoke), to the best of my knowledge, they're one of the few ISPs, if not the only, that has it's VP chatting and posting with their client base on a regular basis.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to sndsl

to sndsl
in that case- ILEC or MSO would be better than all since they cost more.