spc
Search similar:

uniqs
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

the state of competition...

Ny metro is seeing the death of competition... just the slow painful kind.. not physician assisted like in the movie (or what Comcast wants to do by buying Time Warner)...

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· DSPkfbSE

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

You crack me up with some of your comments. Without FiOS competing with Cablevision, YOUR BILL would be much higher. The consumers got spoiled, as the two companies undercut each other so much on promotions there was no profit left. They have finally realized they exist to make money, not provide services pro-bono. What part of every TV bill goes to carriage fees? $40? $50? ESPN alone is $5?
Both companies should come up with a system that flags reviously subscribed addresses, and disqualifies those people for promos. People that bounce back and forth like clockwork are a liability for these companies, people will then stick with the quality products.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

I don't buy video services from any provider, yet I'm not left wanting for the 6 channels 98% of consumers who pay $50+ for tv service and some more than $200 get for a few more channels they watch.

For generations (20+ years, telcos like the rbocs.. now mainly three big bells stopped dong 1-up promotions way back in the long distance calling wars-- at least then you could call competition "WARS") Today, you have a mere shadow of what real telecom competition is supposed to be anywhere, and it's been dying ever since! I am familiar with your PRO business / industry stance on issues.. and I'm sure if you took a vote for most of the people who post in this forum, you'd not find a majority of support that these businesses are routinely doing right by the consumer (let's leave the time frame at 2006-2014)

I do agree that consumers that stay put should probably get more rewarded than those that switch (more oft than not, you are GUARANTEED a price increase--aka PUNSISHED FOR STAYING), but let's NOT FORGET where this ideology comes from... way back when the smaller banks were falling all over themselves to get new customers (late 80s & 90s) would do massive promotion-- and it cycled throughout the go-go 80s economy, parents/grandparents of today's hipsters (yuppies), and so on..

BTW 2003-2010 we see a bankrupt economy and many small business fold.. the entire economy was nearly wiped out when banks cut credit. Ever since, then it made many businesses risk averse, REGARDLESS of the regulatory and/or ACTUAL business environment. If you actually made your arguments along these lines, you might have a leg to stand on.. BUT telcos in particular have PLENTY of evidence in their actions of being anti-consumer (and if telcos can get away with it, WHY NOT ask Comcast and Time Warner?!?)-- much of this begins around 2006 and basically has not stopped and gotten progressively worse for the consumer despite more deployments & faster speeds available, upticks in price without consumers being able to afford them (because their salaries are not keeping pace) begins to swing the pendulum.. consumers WILL pull back, and have CHOICES for video and that will force the evolution of cable-tv as we know it.. even if you think a majority of the 95+ million subs are addicted to it now to pay any price.. lets see what happens to those levels in the next 8-10 years.

BTW, might cable companies have to give some video programming away for free?? Maybe...when they have to compete with bittorrent, p2p file sharing networks & video channel streaming piracy too.. they will. This is called evolution of the business model that's been knocking at their door since broadband speeds got above 10 megabits.