Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
kudos:2
reply to Msradell

Re: [Plumbing] Well Pump Upthrust issue: Dole Restrictor Valves good or bad?

Tank is 20 gallons, with a 40/60 drawdown of 5.9 gallons. A larger tank would maximize pump runtime, but would not address the issue of upthrust (if it's even an issue worth considering).

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
I've never seen any data showing that upthrust is a bad thing. Maybe Goulds could give you more information about that. To me the bigger issue is the short cycle time of the pump.
--
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
I'll try to more accurately test the water flow. I am looking at the WX-203 as the replacement tank. The 40/60 drawdown is 9.6 gallons, so if the GPM ends up being about 10 GPM, that would be my choice. The T from my WX-202 would simply bolt up (anything bigger than the 203 would require a new T), and it would fit in exactly the same space, only taller.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to Msradell
said by Msradell:

I've never seen any data showing that upthrust is a bad thing. Maybe Goulds could give you more information about that. To me the bigger issue is the short cycle time of the pump.

I lived in a house 10 years with a 1 hp submersible pump in a 30 ft shallow well so you can imagine the upthrust on it. It would run 2 sprinklers on 3/4" hoses and cut on and off. (and no I never ran the well dry). That provided a wonderful car wash water supply

The original pressure tank was about 5 gal mounted between the floor joists in the unfinished basement. When I finished the basement I removed it and installed a 80 gallon tank in my new utility room.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to SwedishRider
said by SwedishRider:

A larger tank would maximize pump runtime, but would not address the issue of upthrust (if it's even an issue worth considering).

There you are making an assumption that the upthrust is constantly occurring whenever the pump is running. I am suggesting that once the pump starts and draws the well down, it may no longer be an issue. That is why I would like to see a more detailed flow test. Personally I don't like to see a pressure tank sized so closely to actual well performance. I like to see my pump run for minutes or longer.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
I'm not even sure if upthrust is really a problem in the first place. The only thing I am sure of is that the cycle time is too short. I think the minute or so run time is acceptable, at least for my purposes.

Again, my last pump must have cycled even quicker than this one, and it failed a check valve death, not a motor or pump death. Given it was composite plastic, and this one is stainless, I think about a minute runtime should work acceptably.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
Have you double checked that the installers set your pressure tank to the correct pressure?

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
Yes, it's at 38psi with a cut-in of 40psi.