dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
63475675 (banned)
join:2014-01-06

63475675 (banned)

Charter door to door salesmen coming to door in the dark?

Just tonight I noticed that a couple of people that identified themselves as
representatives of Charter came to my door around 6:45PM which is a time that is completely dark here. It appeared to by two twenty somethings one girl and one guy. I didn't answer the door but they identified themselves as being with Charter , when I replied I wasn't interested, the girl claimed they were lost and asked me to help them get back to the main road (which is just 100 yards up the street from which they came.....

Anyone know if Charter is sending folks around door to door in my area,
it is the Anderson,SC area. 29625.
sittin_tech
join:2004-04-13
Rochester, MN

sittin_tech

I don't know about you area, but I do know charter does use door to door people who are allowed to set their own hours. They do generally run after 5pm to catch people when they are home.
63475675 (banned)

63475675 (banned)

Thanks for that. It just seemed odd that after they were told I was not interested (I already have service LOL) that the girl claimed they were lost, even though they came off the main road less than 50 yards up my street, and there are no other streets connecting up to where they parked.
bozzy
join:2009-08-25
Simpsonville, SC

bozzy to 63475675

to 63475675
It is strange that they would not be equipped with at least a smartphone for them to navigate with.
naizarak
join:2007-08-18
Glendale, CA

naizarak to 63475675

to 63475675
yeah they're freelance salesmen. my friend did something similar for verizon for a week, before he got sick of it.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to 63475675

Premium Member

to 63475675
I'd give those idiots a piece of my mind if they came knocking on my door at that time, or any time actually!

At least with door to door sales people, they don't get the chance to hang up on you like telemarketers, so I could REALLY let them have it! Probably why you don't see many of them anymore.

Never heard of any door to door Charter people around here.
fossilz
join:2001-03-20
Port Charlotte, FL

1 recommendation

fossilz

said by cork1958:

I'd give those idiots a piece of my mind if they came knocking on my door at that time, or any time actually!

Yes, because some underpaid Charter salesperson has everything to do with your problems. Please.
STL_TOM
join:2013-12-12
USA

STL_TOM to 63475675

to 63475675
When AT&T U-Verse was trying to convert our area, we constantly had U-Verse sales people showing up at the door at least monthly. The first person that came I was nice and let them go on their sales pitch but declined...but they kept coming and coming...I finally found a nice way to shut them down - I asked "Can you offer me 100 meg service?" When they would say "No", I would ask why I would switch from Charter. That usually would shut them down.
frankrizzo
join:2008-05-05
Boston, MA

frankrizzo to cork1958

to cork1958
you obviously have some issues. 6:45 is not very late and these people are trying to make an honest living.

lineofsight
join:2003-01-03
East Saint Louis, IL

lineofsight to 63475675

to 63475675
Put a "No Solicitation" sign up near the door. If they ignore it, just point to it.
cablemandrew
Premium Member
join:2013-12-22
USA

cablemandrew to 63475675

Premium Member

to 63475675
As far as I know all sales for Charter were pulled in-house about a year ago. That said we do have Direct Sales reps that will do door-to-door sales as well as some agreements with local resellers that allow them to setup workorders for the area. Though I usually hate the orders where the DSR's promise something that they know we as technicians can't or aren't supposed to do.
63475675 (banned)

63475675 (banned) to frankrizzo

to frankrizzo
I'm not arguing about the time as much as the fact that it was pitch dark outside. The general rule of thumb in door to door from my experiences is that once it is dark outside they are done for the night.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member

cork1958 to lineofsight

Premium Member

to lineofsight
said by frankrizzo:

you obviously have some issues. 6:45 is not very late and these people are trying to make an honest living.

No issues. Just can't stand people coming to my door like that. Those sales people are NO different than a damn telemarketer. Wife goes to bed at 7:00pm and up at 2:00am for work also. Don't need the dogs going nuts over some one at the door. 6:45pm IS to late for that s**t also, IMO.
said by lineofsight:

Put a "No Solicitation" sign up near the door. If they ignore it, just point to it

Duh!

I have 2 signs up. One says No Solicitation and the other says Protected by a Smith & Wesson!!
frankrizzo
join:2008-05-05
Boston, MA

frankrizzo to 63475675

to 63475675
well they probably were since they were asking for direction and said they were lost. They also were probably not familiar with the streets because they have never been there before. I think it is best to think positive about the situation and give them the benefit of the doubt instead of always being a negative Nancy. People might think you're just a rude person.
63475675 (banned)

63475675 (banned)

You must not have read my previous post which mentions that the street they were on was ONLY about 50 yards or less from the main state road they had just turned off of which itself is clearly marked, as I mentioned there are NO other streets to turn off of from my street.

Like cork mentioned not everybody lives or works a 9 to 5 pattern. But my main gripe is that you should NOT be out selling after dark, I have NEVER seen this before in my 30 years of adulthood.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

I had the some thing happen a few months back. I even have a "NO SOLICITING" sign on the door with 3" lettering. Needless to say, our exchange wasn't pleasant. FWIW, CenturyTel did the same damn thing about a week later and even later at night.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member

cork1958 to frankrizzo

Premium Member

to frankrizzo
said by frankrizzo:

well they probably were since they were asking for direction and said they were lost. They also were probably not familiar with the streets because they have never been there before.

As OP stated, they were only 50-100 yards away from main drag and that is probably where they came from originally, so them stating they were lost is almost an impossibility! Even if they were lost, DO NOT come to my door asking me to buy something first and THEN stating you're lost. Would just make the sales pitch REALLY sound like a scam!

In today's world, that kind of stupidity can get you killed!!
NightOwl2
join:2012-03-19

NightOwl2

You are so right. OP was smart to not open the door. I don't consider it rude - I consider my family's safety first.
cloves69
join:2004-01-11
Midwest

cloves69 to 63475675

to 63475675
Charter has been on a hiring spree for direct sales reps. The reps get a list of addresses that focuses primarily on never or not current opportunities and have so many days/weeks before getting a new list.

For every good sales rep, I'm sure there are a few more who struggle to get a door open and complete a sale. As long as the sun is out, I don't mind a knock at the door. After sunset I'm annoyed but giving a person "a piece of my mind" for trying to make a buck is more than I'd bother with. And until a bit later in the year, it's dark before most people get home from work. Sucks, but part of the deal of a door-to-door salesman.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member

1 edit

cork1958

Premium Member

Edited:
Not going to say that!

A piece of my mind would probably only be something like "don't you think I know about your services and that if I wanted them, I'd call you" type line.
towerdave
join:2002-01-16
O Fallon, IL

towerdave to 63475675

to 63475675
We have a Do Not Solicit list in our city, and we are on that list, and we have a sign up in the door. Since both of those things have been done, we don't get anyone door to door except for the Boy/Cub Scouts putting their Scouting For Food bag on the door last fall. I'm OK with that, and Girl Scouts selling cookies.

TD
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN

Chubbysumo to sittin_tech

to sittin_tech
I have had charter reps knock on my door trying to sell service, but they always wore a charter shirt, and had their employee ID badge displayed, and they never came after 7pm, and they were always alone. OPs story just seems wrong or shady.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member

cork1958 to towerdave

Premium Member

to towerdave
Man!

Haven't heard of the scouts going door to door in ages! They actually still do that? I'm shocked!
towerdave
join:2002-01-16
O Fallon, IL

towerdave to 63475675

to 63475675
They do a food drive every year in the fall. One weekend they hang bags on doors. The next weekend they pick them up. They also sell popcorn as a fundraiser and are allowed to go door to door for that.

TD

Charteranon
@charter.com

Charteranon

Anon

Direct sales reps do not get addresses for customers who already have Charter service. They would have had to be third party resellers.
63475675 (banned)

63475675 (banned)

said by Charteranon :

Direct sales reps do not get addresses for customers who already have Charter service. They would have had to be third party resellers.

Glad you confirmed my suspicions. It first puzzled me and then concerned me that these two came to my door and claimed they were from Charter (they did NOT say they were from a reseller either!) My first thought was they were casing the place and by being allowed inside would get to see what might be worth stealing later on.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member

cork1958 to Charteranon

Premium Member

to Charteranon
said by towerdave:

They do a food drive every year in the fall. One weekend they hang bags on doors. The next weekend they pick them up. They also sell popcorn as a fundraiser and are allowed to go door to door for that

Hasn't been any kind of scouts, boy or girl, doing any door to door anywhere around this town in many, many years!
said by Charteranon :

That definitely sounds a little a more logical and I would've had the same suspicions as wiegeit02.
Zappa2000
join:2001-12-16
Kalamazoo, MI

Zappa2000

said by cork1958:

Hasn't been any kind of scouts, boy or girl, doing any door to door anywhere around this town in many, many years!

Ditto, haven't seen anyone other than shady characters trying to push whatever they are trying to sell... oh, and those idiots that want you to sign a petition.

For what it is worth, nobody should be answering any doors these days, you just never know who that person is, and what agenda they have.
There have been lots of people pretending to be someone else, to either gain access to the residence, or to scout out the place for future crimes.