uniqs

rudnicke
Premium Member
join:2004-10-23
Rantoul, IL

rudnicke

Premium Member

Hoover Dam intake towers

I've been searching for hours trying to find a picture of what's inside the top of the intake towers at Hoover dam. All I can find are construction pictures or tourist pics.

Do any exist of what's behind those doors on the towers?

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

Gate hoists...

rudnicke
Premium Member
join:2004-10-23
Rantoul, IL

rudnicke

Premium Member

What is a gate hoist?

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

1 recommendation

John Galt6 to rudnicke

Premium Member

to rudnicke
It hoists the gates.

Essentially, the towers are just the screening mechanism for the intake. Think of the gates as the plug in the bottom of the tub. The gate hoists pull the pull, as it were.

You should enjoy this:

»www.riversimulator.org/R ··· 1936.pdf
John Galt6

1 recommendation

John Galt6 to rudnicke

Premium Member

to rudnicke
Click for full size
Click for full size

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to John Galt6

Premium Member

to John Galt6
Great Document! We've visited Hoover dam several times and I'm always fascinated when reading about the construction techniques that were employed during the construction. We are fortunate enough to have visited before they severely restricted visitor access after 9/11 and took the tour of the construction tunnels inside of the actual dam!
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

said by Msradell:

Great Document! We've visited Hoover dam several times and I'm always fascinated when reading about the construction techniques that were employed during the construction. We are fortunate enough to have visited before they severely restricted visitor access after 9/11 and took the tour of the construction tunnels inside of the actual dam!

The era it was built in also makes it even more impressive. Even today it is regarded as an engineering marvel even against bigger dams... And it was built without computers and half the methods were not proven because they had never been done before on large scale. Yet it still stands and could possibly out last far newer ones like the far larger 3 gorges in China.