Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Keeping Existing Unlimited Data Plans?

My wife and i both have unlinited data plans. When we upgraded two years ago, VZW bumped us from Unlimited 3G to Unlimited 4G when we upgraded to 4G-capable phones. Our contracts are up in March and April, and i am wondering if it is possible to get another subsidized phone upgrade and two year contract extension without losing our unlimited plans.

If not, we're going to think long and hard about whether we stay at VZW and purchase full price phones or jump ship. Keeping unlimited datais the utmost importance as we commute about 2-3 hrs a day by bus and like our Netflix and web browsing.
applerule
Premium Member
join:2012-12-23
Northeast TN
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6183
Asus RT-N66

applerule

Premium Member

You will lose your unlimited data if you get a subsidized phone. Your options are pretty much going to be: Sprint, T-Mobile, or buy a phone at full price.

If you want to stick with Verizon, I'd just get a slightly used phone from eBay. You can get a 6month old device at a pretty huge discount compared to full retail.

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

beck to Krisnatharok

MVM

to Krisnatharok
I second buying a slightly used phone. But I would get it craigslist and meet them at the store to purchase it.

Antonica
Premium Member
join:2002-09-02

Antonica to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
We are in the same boat Kris.. except our contract is already up. Last year I got us 'new' phones on Swappa. Highly recommended. Definately get nice phones for a lot less than brand new store price. Some of the phones on there are used/good/etc condition but they have ones that are mint or practically NIB. We are sticking with Verizon because 1. everyone else sucks more 2. employment gives us a nice ass discount and 3. so far we are grandfathered into a promo plan that isn't able to be duplicated anyone else, even on a shitty network.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to applerule

Premium Member

to applerule
So they have definitely stopped all subsidized upgrades on unlimited plans?
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24

Oh yes. If you get a new phone and upgrade your contract with a subsidized phone, you will lose the unlimited.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

When did they start doing that? TBH I'm not surprised, just that it took this long. I was surprised they let us keep it two years ago when we upgraded.

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium Member
join:2006-07-25
Rochester, NY

unknvoip

Premium Member

I believe the date was in June 2012. It was fairly well publicized, but I can see how you might not notice if you weren't in phone shopping mode.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Looks like we got in under the wire then (March/April 2012).

Certainly complicates things now. Currently we're looking at the HTC One Max, HTC One, and Samsung Galaxy S4.

Although if we're going to pay full price and hold onto the phones for several years, maybe it makes sense to let the Galaxy S5 and HTC One 2/M8 come to the market first and grab those?
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24 to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
Verizon is trying their hardest to get people off unlimited data plans. First they stopped offering them, then they told people that had them if they wanted to upgrade out of contract for a new phone, they were forced to select a new shared data plan, which to me is enough to make me switch to ATT when my contract is up, their latest ploy is to offer those with unlimited data plans onto much cheaper 6gb data plans for the same price as others get 2gb of data.

They make it sound like they pay enormous prices for their data. I know data isn't free but it's NOWHERE near as high as they make it sound. Verizon has gotten to be too much of a money hungry company for my liking and I will be switching once I'm done with my contract. No incentive to stay.
questionable1
join:2005-10-18
Phoenix, AZ

questionable1 to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
FYI, or HOW to keep your Unlimited Data and purchase new phone in store.
(if you do it online slightly different instructions are needed)

1. get a 3rd line (getting free junkie phone no data)
2. Transfer upgrade to said line
3. go home and transfer junkie phone back to 3rd line
4. Add new phone to whatever line you actually want it on

Rinse & Repeat

I have done this at least 4 times now. (5 lines 4 smart phones with unlimited and 1 junkie phone)

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I saw this posted on Reddit. Veeeery smart. Do you have to keep the junk line for 2 years?

spike010101
Premium Member
join:2003-11-28
Austin, TX

spike010101

Premium Member

If you use an existing verizon phone you have laying around to add on as a third line, then no. You can remove it after because upgrade transfers result in the donors line having its contract renewed.

Frank
Premium Member
join:2000-11-03
somewhere

Frank to applerule

Premium Member

to applerule
said by applerule:

You will lose your unlimited data if you get a subsidized phone. Your options are pretty much going to be: Sprint, T-Mobile, or buy a phone at full price.

If you want to stick with Verizon, I'd just get a slightly used phone from eBay. You can get a 6month old device at a pretty huge discount compared to full retail.

actually, just sprint, I don't think tmobile subsidizes their phones anymore, they just give you a 0% interest loan and add loan payments to your monthly bill until its fully paid off.
Frank

Frank to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
If you like the service you have with Verizon then you're better off just buying a new phone outright. The last time I took a look at verizons plans 2gb data + phone and texting was $100+ a month after taxes.

Antonica
Premium Member
join:2002-09-02

Antonica to spike010101

Premium Member

to spike010101
Are you sure about that? At the time we got the promo we had done that, got a 3rd line, and gave the new phone to my line number. But because of that we had to keep that 3rd line for 2 years. Not sure if the fact that it was a family plan makes a difference but if we would do that we would have to pay for that extra line for 2 years and sucks :P. Cheaper to buy the phone out right.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to questionable1

Premium Member

to questionable1
said by questionable1:

FYI, or HOW to keep your Unlimited Data and purchase new phone in store.
(if you do it online slightly different instructions are needed)

1. get a 3rd line (getting free junkie phone no data)
2. Transfer upgrade to said line
3. go home and transfer junkie phone back to 3rd line
4. Add new phone to whatever line you actually want it on

Rinse & Repeat

I have done this at least 4 times now. (5 lines 4 smart phones with unlimited and 1 junkie phone)

So the wife tried to upgrade tonight and they wouldn't even offer her the 6GB/$30 plan they had been using to entice unlimited customers (she uses between 1.5 - 2.5 GB per month).

So the hell with VZW, I'll screw them and keep our unlimited data since they don't want to play ball.

Some questions about this method... I have my stepson on the third line with a non-smartphone (no data) that I will be doing this on:
• Will transferring the upgrade to his line reset his upgrade date?
• Will it prevent him from using his upgrade as scheduled next summer?

I still find it hard to believe that if I transfer her upgrade to his line, they'll drop the data fee for his line once the phone goes back to her line, and they let her keep her unlimited data...
tdumaine
Premium Member
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

tdumaine

Premium Member

Yes it will reset his date as his line would be the one now under a new two year contract. (upgrade date and contract end date are the same dates)

Yes due to above.

Your contract on your line will not change at all. Your line stays as you are not using your line for an upgrade. Stepson would have to use your upgrade on your line this summer causing you to lose your unlimited data.

Adding a line to use for an upgrade, even if you bring a phone is a bad idea as Antonica said. That added line, as soon as you use it for an upgrade, goes under contract and you are stuck with it for 2 years. Even worse of a deal for those on a share everything plan ($30/$40 a month line access for 2 years vs $9.99 a month for 2 years on old plans)

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Will I have to add a data plan to the kid's line if I use her upgrade on his line to get a Galaxy S4 or Note 3? The plan is to transfer the upgrade to his line, order the upgrade, then immediately swap the new phone back to the wife's line. I don't want to be forced to pay for a data plan for the son's line--it's currently a dumb phone.
tdumaine
Premium Member
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

tdumaine

Premium Member

Data plan is dependent on what phone is on the line. You dont have to transfer the upgrade, verizon calls it an alternate upgrade. Tell them to upgrade the wifes line using the stepsons upgrade. it will put the new phone on the wifes line and extend stepsons contract/upgrade 2 years from that date this is done. If stepson wants to upgrade later, and using yours or the wifes is not an option, it'll be full price or used for him

edit to add:
also if you have semi decent credit, verizon will finance full retail over 12 months. This is not edge. This is just phone price divided by 12. doesnt alter or change contracts

FaceTime
@qwest.net

FaceTime

Anon

We have one phone with Verizon Unlimited. It has unlimited data ... but only 450 minutes. It is an iPhone 5 which I purchased out right to keep the unlimited data. The wife uses it. When the wife is out and about ... I have her call me via FaceTime Audio now. She has unlimited data ... so if she can make as many FaceTime Audio calls as she would like as FaceTime Audio uses the data plan, not cell phone minutes. Her minutes have now dropped from a 200 to 300 minutes each month ... to 20 to 60 per month using FaceTime Audio. Yes, it will use the data plan on the receiving end ... but if the individual is home and connected to their wireless ... no minutes at all get used by either party. Oh ... and it obviously only works with iDevices. Another added bonus is that Verizon does not allow phone and data at the same time with iPhones. When she makes a call with FaceTime Audio ... because it is data ... she can technically surf and do other "data" things while on the call.