Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn to dragonzealot

Premium Member

to dragonzealot

Re: General update: Webmail, Zap the cap, Pay Now and MAC modem update

Hello,

The usage counter will start on April 1st and will count towards the cap.

Regards,
Martin

QCTLG
join:2008-01-20

QCTLG to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
What about us in the videotron part of the world?

We do not see what was downloaded off peak?
mikee
join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON

mikee to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
good feature will probably use it when its april 1st, though it says i will be at 15mbps from 8pm-12am(midnight) and is that what my CAP will be or the lowest it will be?

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Looking at things THAT way, it would be like having a DIFFERENT kind of cap, eh ?

Trading one cap for another ?

Hmmmm,,,,

We need TOUQUES in this weather, not CAPs !

QCTLG
join:2008-01-20

QCTLG

said by QCTLG:

I'm wondering why no response to this question...Are we pleading the 5th on this one?
lowping
join:2013-08-04

lowping to JMJimmy

to JMJimmy
said by JMJimmy:

said by oceros37:

said by JMJimmy:

You missed a key point - I have the Sagemcom POS... When my service is sluggish (13-17Mbps) the wireless goes down to 2-4Mbps. When it goes below 10Mbps the wireless goes down to 1.5Mbps or lower which isn't viable.

That's ridiculous. Disable wifi and try a different/separate router?

It is absolutely ridiculous. I can't try a separate router without voiding the warranty on the rental since the Sagemcom can't be put in bridge mode without flashing 3rd party firmware. I know what I need to do is buy a SmartRG but my money has more important priorities right now.

Sagemcom works ok in passthrough bridge if your not in the 50mbps speed tier.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn to QCTLG

Premium Member

to QCTLG
said by QCTLG:

said by QCTLG:

I'm wondering why no response to this question...Are we pleading the 5th on this one?

We are still working out some kinks with the VCable monitor. For the time being it's monitoring 24hrs a day.

Martin
blaznazn224
join:2010-09-10
Scarborough, ON

blaznazn224 to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
this zap the cap is an excellent feature!! My brother downloads a lot and my parents watch a nice bit of online streaming during dinner time. So yeah this helps alot. Its funny how alot of people are complaining, I actually wouldn't mind if you throttled the speed to 6megs during that time hehehe.

blackdragon1
join:2007-06-16

blackdragon1 to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
Is there any plans to offer a similar option to zap the cap on 150GB plans?

RizzleQ
Cunningham's Law Enthusiast
Premium Member
join:2006-01-12
Windsor, ON
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR

RizzleQ

Premium Member

said by blackdragon1:

zap the cap on 150GB plans

Yeah, why not offer ZTC on all non-unlimited packages instead of only 300 GB packages?
mikee
Gloucester, ON

mikee

because every body will change to 75gb plans XD

RizzleQ
Cunningham's Law Enthusiast
Premium Member
join:2006-01-12
Windsor, ON

RizzleQ

Premium Member

Good point. You pay more for a 300GB plan to gain access to the ZTC feature.

blackdragon1
join:2007-06-16

blackdragon1 to mikee

to mikee
Well they could make an even bigger compromise.

IE has even slower throttled speeds or make the window smaller.

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans
join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON

Mashiki to RizzleQ

to RizzleQ
said by RizzleQ:

Good point. You pay more for a 300GB plan to gain access to the ZTC feature.

I'm actually curious as to the number of people who have ZTC running, but don't use their internet during peak. I know I'm one of them, so are several of my friends here in town. We either work midnights, or "peak" isn't that for us. For me it's 12-8am, would be interesting to see some stats.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Mashiki:

I'm actually curious as to the number of people who have ZTC running, but don't use their internet during peak. I know I'm one of them, so are several of my friends here in town. We either work midnights, or "peak" isn't that for us. For me it's 12-8am, would be interesting to see some stats.

So these folks would not be losing the bandwidth (speed) during peak period if they did not DL then, but would still be gaining the unlimited overall usage.

Hmmmm....

That would be a Win-Win, both for them AND for TSI.
dsl33
join:2012-02-02

dsl33 to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
said by JenSuisUn:

said by QCTLG:

said by QCTLG:

We are still working out some kinks with the VCable monitor. For the time being it's monitoring 24hrs a day.

Martin

does that mean no 2-8am unlimited for Vcable? for those who are on capped plans, it's stressful to always check our usage...

for the time being can we call in to check the usage? (don't want to waste too much TSI ressources for such a small thing)

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

The 2am to 8am unlimited window is still there. The issue is that the monitor adds the usage during that period to the total. This is what we are attempting to resolve so we can separate both from totals.
dsl33
join:2012-02-02

dsl33

ok. thanks...
fefrie
join:2012-08-17
Vancouver, BC

fefrie to koreyb

to koreyb
It sort of sounds harsh, but people in the highest teirs get the greatest deal when it comes to $/mbps. They cause the most stress to the system during peak times and pay the least amount doing it.

If the 100mbps tier paid the same rate per mbps as the 7.5mbps tier did, a 100mbps line would cost $400.

So higher tiers should see a greater decrease in service to reflect this to zap the cap.
fefrie

fefrie to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

A 30mbit connection used at full capacity costs us more than $450 per mth.

What percentage of those costs fall into the peak time category?

I feel like I get a great value out of TS. I would not want to be personally responsible for putting you guys out of business.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to fefrie

Premium Member

to fefrie
said by fefrie:

It sort of sounds harsh, but people in the highest teirs get the greatest deal when it comes to $/mbps.

They cause the most stress to the system during peak times and pay the least amount doing it.

If the 100mbps tier paid the same rate per mbps as the 7.5mbps tier did, a 100mbps line would cost $400.

So higher tiers should see a greater decrease in service to reflect this to zap the cap.

You know what ?

I had not looked at it in exactly that way (and none of the ISPs have said it like that), but it DOES make sense, the way you explained it.
fefrie
Vancouver, BC

fefrie

Thanks, I should think that it makes more sense since TS fees for CBB don't magically go down the more they buy bandwidth from incumbents during peak times. In fact they go up.

My dream pricing plan would have a guaranteed minimum bandwidth during peak times, and as a reward still have unlimited bandwitdh between 2-8am AND have a bonus speed bump during the shoulder times.

So for example on my 7.5mbit connection, during peak periods I'd be fine with a capped 6mbit connection. During the unlimited download period I'd be great with a 10mbit connection, and during the day I'd be happy with the same 7.5mbit connection with the same burst speed that I get now should TS have the capacity to send it through unused bandwidth, but with the added bonus of a 1mbit upload connection. All with the same 300gb cap limit.

I can do this because I have QOS on my router that allows for my own traffic shaping.

This would definitley shift my usage habits outside of the peak hours, allow me to get more of the media that I want at times that won't hurt the ntework, and reward me with a greater uplink during the quiet day times that would allow me to upload videos to youtube and dropbox much faster.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

First, THANK YOU, for using the term 'Bandwidth' properly !

I already manually do some of my own habit-shaping, and also sometimes use uT's scheduler to limit bandwidth demand, except for 2AM-8AM, especially if I have large files to pull.

Still, I can download during peak, but one way or another will limit my Bandwidth demand at that time.

TSI's 'Zap the Cap' idea defines REAL peak period as 8PM-Midnight, and is the period during which I avoid uncontrolled downloads anyway, for the same reasons which you explained.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
I haven't been following this thread too closely, but I'm wondering if TSI has seen any improvements since implementing ZTC.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Yes, that would be worthwhile info to share here.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

I haven't been following this thread too closely, but I'm wondering if TSI has seen any improvements since implementing ZTC.

My guess it's probably too early, and also the usage meter being broken could also affect it people might be turning it off.
fefrie
Vancouver, BC

1 recommendation

fefrie to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

First, THANK YOU, for using the term 'Bandwidth' properly !

Yeah, I wish people would understand it correctly.

If I were to use a water analogy, data would be the water, and bandwidth would be the pipe that brings it to you.

Customers pay for the size of pipe that comes into the house, be it 1/2 inch or 6 inch, and in the case of internet service, the 'water' is essentially free.

Ok since people won't understand this, let the flaming begin...

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by fefrie:

OK, since people won't understand this, let the flaming begin...

Exactly, hehehe....
mikee
Gloucester, ON

mikee to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
It is now April 1st, is it officially going live now?

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Are you JOKING ?