join:2009-04-09
USA

birdwatcher5

MHS291L How do I set up no roaming?

I got the device today, I am trying to figure out how to not let it roam, I
live near the Canadian border, and had trouble with the old um175 roaming
several years ago.
Also I cant seem to get my desktop to recognize this new jetpack, I plugged
the usb from the jetpack to the desktop and still it wont go online. Sorry I just
am not very computer literate.

diugo
join:2014-01-13
Yuma, AZ

diugo

Here's the manual: »cache.vzw.com/multimedia ··· 291L.pdf

Didn't see anything there about turning roaming off, but apparently it does show when it is roaming, so at least you know.

The manual describes how to manually install the USB tether driver in case the device is not automatically recognized. There is also a setting that controls whether the USB is for charging or for tethering. It might be set on Charge in your case.
birdwatcher5
USA

birdwatcher5

Thanks, but now I am worried about the roaming, I was charged quite a bit when that happened back in 09. I read the manual too, couldn't find a thing about how to turn off roaming. As far as the desktop, I guess I have to pull out the tower and look for a blue color coded usb port on the back, so I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks!
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

I think the only setting you can make is not to use Global and set it to LTE/CMDA mode. There are no options in the menu to disable roaming. It is not even mentioned
birdwatcher5
USA

birdwatcher5

Thanks Jim, I changed it when I noticed the word "global"! I hope that'll do it!
As far as my desktop, I'd like to get a usb wireless adapter instead of fooling around with
the cord , what kind should I look for? I am confused on all the wireless b/g/n lingo. My desktop
Is new with windows 8 and its a gateway.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

If its a new desktop it should have a wireless adapter in it
birdwatcher5
USA

birdwatcher5

I don't think it does, it doesn't find the device. And it doesn't show bars for internet, it shows a little square box.
Here is my speedtest.net result this morning:
»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 6429.png

xrayman
join:2008-12-09
Kansas City

xrayman

As Jim said your win8 desktop box should have a wireless adapter built in.
If not, to answer your question about an plug-in USB adapter I have installed many of the little micro USB plug in WiFi units. Very small size but they work good.
NETGEAR G54/N150 Wi-Fi USB Micro Adapter (WNA1000M)
»www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-W ··· +Adapter

diugo
join:2014-01-13
Yuma, AZ

diugo to birdwatcher5

to birdwatcher5
In order to roam under LTE, I believe the APN value needs to be set correctly for the new carrier---otherwise no data can be transferred. The MHS291L's default APN value, VZWINTERNET, should work only with Verizon towers.

Changing the Network Type setting from Global to LTE/CDMA is strategic, since several Canadian carriers have moved from CDMA to GSM in recent years. So it is entirely possible that there are no longer any Canadian CDMA towers in your border vicinity. You might try taking your Jetpack---just the Jetpack, no WiFi devices---on a short road trip near the border or even a bit across it, just to see if the display ever indicates a Canadian carrier.
birdwatcher5
USA

birdwatcher5

Okay I just changed back to global, and did a speedtest, its actually faster internet on global. Ping went from 103 down to 70, DL went from 9.35 up to 11.70! MUCH better! Thanks!
Now I hope that you are right that it shouldn't roam to Canada towers.