spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

intok

join:2012-03-15

Is ECS good about paying their rebates?

I was looking at this board for an HTPC frontend »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13135364

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Can that thing even stream 1080p?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

Seems like the AMD Radeon HD 8210 graphics would get the job done, doesn't it?
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

True true. Fantastic value then if that's all you're doing.

intok

Yeah, at most it'd only be used for playback and maybe torrents in the background. The oss Linux drivers now support the Kabini's UVD and VCE chips.

But my main question is will I actually get the rebate. If not I'll wait for the Kaveri A4 series.

asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium
join:2012-05-09
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to intok

I can't answer this except to say that rebates are generally contracted out to a number of third party rebate companies so I don't know that the product brand makes a big difference. In general you have to very carefully follow all instructions to the letter(and read all the rules for qualifying) to not be denied. If you do that, and don't give them any excuse to refuse the rebate, you will most likely get it. It can take 8-10 weeks to get rebates so don't be impatient.

intok

I was asking as I've been wary of MIRs since I got burned on a few items(Dlink wireless router and a socket 939 MSI mobo) back a few years ago when some companies where never sending out the checks.

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5
reply to intok

In general MIRs are okay, but you do have to watch them and call them promptly when it doesn't come in as promised. Sometimes the reseller will help too if you get stuck. I know you didn't ask about this, but I would not buy ECS motherboards. IMHO, they are at the bottom of the list in terms of quality and support. I've had much better luck with MSI MBs. Also, ECS doesn't seem to update their BIOS/FW except for critical defects and that's only on the new products.

intok

Yeah, I know they are crap, but after MIR it's only $35 for an HTPC frontend terminal board that will be running either MythTV or XBMC on Linux with the OSS drivers.

If it where for anything else I'd be going with Gigabyte, Asus, ASRock, MSI or even Biostar as I had great luck with my old TF520A2+, had very good OCs on my old X2.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3

Looks like it jumped back up to $60 AR.