All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mchariko
join:2014-02-28

mchariko

[X1-X2] Dual Shield or Quad Shield

Went to have X1 installed and the other day and the Comcast Tech told me that all the lines that were going to get a X1 box needed to be home run lines. Not a big deal since I have easy access to the areas where the X1 boxes are going to be located. My question, do I want to use dual or quad shield RG6 cable. I had read that the quad shield is hard to bend around corners and into electrical boxes. Also, since I'm going to buy the cable in bulk, do think Comcast will install all the compression connectors ?

Spinne1
@comcast.net

Spinne1

Anon

Comcast uses tri-shield and it is fine. Quad shield is much harder to put fittings onto. Comcast will put fittings on if there are none. It can be time consuming especially if wall plates have to be opened.

ComTech 4
Premium Member
join:2002-11-28
USA

ComTech 4 to mchariko

Premium Member

to mchariko

Do not install the wire in to an electrical box, 99% of the time you have to kink or go past the minimum bend radius to get the wallplate on. Use low voltage rings instead.
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich to Spinne1

to Spinne1
said by Spinne1 :

Comcast uses tri-shield

It probably depends on a given area; all the cable co. around here, including CC, just use dual shield (braid over bonded foil dielectric) coax...& always have for quite some time.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to mchariko

MVM

to mchariko
An alternative to QuadShield is something like Belden 7915A. It offers pretty much the same isolation and shield of QS, but is the size of standard RG6 and uses the same connectors, and the same minimum bend radius.
ablecableguy
join:2013-12-01
Murfreesboro, TN

ablecableguy to mchariko

to mchariko
Whatever you do, don't just go for the cheapest wiring you can buy in bulk. I use dual shield at my company, and it works great, but it also is high quality dual shield from CommScope. But I've seen store bought 'dual shield' that had a whole 6 wires wrapped in the jacket. There should be a whole mess of aluminum braiding in the cable. This is what we use at work »www.commscope.com/catalo ··· d=46832r I would almost recommend you get quad shield, just because I would think that it would tend to be of higher quality. Quad shield can be difficult to put connectors on, but generally if the wiring is new (as opposed to being out in the sun and brittle) I don't really have problems putting on connectors.
tylerw1285
join:2014-03-01
Independence, MO

tylerw1285 to mchariko

to mchariko
Dual is perfectly fine.the center conductor, dielectric needs to be a white foam, Aluminum Shield is gonna reject a ton of frequency interference above 50 megahertz. and braided FOIL that needs to completely cover the aluminum shield blocks any that gets back the shield. oh and quad cable has extra shield and braid. TWC uses dual ATT uses tri DISH uses quad. all work perfect. and the backless boxes the person above put are life savers for cable. but like the guy above said if you buy i stress not even walking through the door or home depot or radioshack.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to ComTech 4

Premium Member

to ComTech 4
Low voltage rings. Now that i know what they are actually called it may make it easier to find at lowes. Lol I always called them wall caddies and they never knew what i was talking about.