Search similar:

uniqs

kibosh
join:2010-12-16
Whitby, ON

kibosh to LYuan

to LYuan

[Modem/Router] Re: :: Hitron CGN3 v4.2.4.3 ::

I have been up with no issues since I received the firmware update. I think its 13 days now.
mp1111
join:2013-11-25

mp1111

said by kibosh:

I have been up with no issues since I received the firmware update. I think its 13 days now.

I am still having issues with both Voip providers I am using. No changes in the new Firmware, the modem is still re writing a different IP address in the contact header resulting in dropped calls when Hitron is running in Gateway mode.

Thanks,

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by mp1111:

the modem is still re writing a different IP address in the contact header resulting in dropped calls when Hitron is running in Gateway mode

The Cable Modem/Gateway firmware is broken down into many parts -- [a] DOCSIS 3 modem, [b] Router, [c] Switch [d] SP1 firewall; [e] NAT; and [f] wireless radios. Those parts are NOT integrated although they appear to be integrated they are not. Each part works to meet an objective assigned to it's part to work co-operatively with the other parts [a form of integration] --- a very complicated set of task(s).

In BRIDGE mode the only module that works to spec is the Cable Modem part --- so if you want to get your VoIP to work properly you need to forgo the GATEWAY and put the device in BRIDGE mode then use a good Router like the Netgear R6300.
mp1111
join:2013-11-25

mp1111

Hi mozerd,

I know it's working in bridge mode. The issue is that some customers bought this modem for $199 and they don't want to spend an additional $100 for a decent router. I was lucky and I am using an old Linksys E3000 and works great with Hitron in bridge mode.

I am really hopping that firmware will be ungraded with a fix for people who want to use Hitron in gateway mode.

Thanks,

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by mp1111:

I am really hopping that firmware will be ungraded with a fix for people who want to use Hitron in gateway mode

glad to read that you've got it in bridge mode and voip is working to your satisfaction with the E3000.

Eventually Hitron will get the firmware working so that all the parts are collaborating properly however GATEWAY mode posses a security dilemma for users plus some services like VoIP may be purposely hampered since its in conflict with the providers service own VoIP offerings. The only way for a user to effectively protect their Local Area Network from Rogers influence and monitoring is to have the Gateway converted into BRIDGE mode with a good quality Router that locks Rogers out. I do understand that many users do not care and that is a travesty in itself.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

1 edit

elitefx

said by mozerd:

I do understand that many users do not care and that is a travesty in itself.

EXCELLENT point Mozerd.

Folks don't seem to understand that the reason Rogers 'updates' the factory VANILLA firmware is less about network compatibility and more about Rogers having ACCESS to the end user's ENTIRE network and the PRIVATE personal data contained therein.

It's like giving Rogers the keys to the house, bank accounts and well, folks will get the idea..............
LYuan
join:2014-01-24
Canada

LYuan to mozerd

to mozerd
said by mozerd:

[a] if you decide to buy the CGN3 from best buy make sure that the Best Buy unit has the same hardware revision that you currently have. There should be a sticker that shows the hardware revision etc. if not you may have to open the unit up to find out. If its not the same hardware revision then you may be susceptible to the same problems.

[b] The network chain may be the problem .... a lot of variables at work. Since in YOUR area your CGN3 is working to your satisfaction that's good sign that you specific network chain is a good one -- so from my perspective you should not be nervous.

So I did end up picking one of these up from Best Buy; $149, plus, you get a $25 off gift card. Anyhow, as expected, it came with 4.2.4.1.

As soon as I got it home, I went into the WebUI to change it into bridge mode, and decided to click around a bit. What I discovered was actually pretty weird: No lag in the interface as I had previously experienced with my other 5 "rental" modems, and even in gateway mode, pings were

Will keep you guys posted...

L.
LYuan

LYuan

Annnndddd...Modem has locked up after 4 hours...At least somethign is consistent.
LYuan

LYuan

Alright, so I've left my modem on bridge mode overnight, but my firmware did not update. Out of the 5 CGN3s I've had, this is the first time that my modem has not updated overnight. The only difference was that it was in bridge mode. Has anyone had their firmware upgraded while in bridge mode? I'll give one more night, then switch it back to factory and see if that does anything.
smithfx
join:2014-01-17
Toronto, ON

smithfx

I have mine in bridged mode and it updated fine. It has been running without reboots since they did the firmware update.
wayner92
join:2006-01-17
Toronto, ON

wayner92

Mine did update in bridge mode. I have now had two outages that have required reboots but I have been away on vacation so I haven't been able to tell exactly what is going on, but I am guessing that things aren't quite perfect with this firmware, but we're making progress.
LYuan
Canada

LYuan

said by wayner92:

I have now had two outages that have required reboots but I have been away on vacation so I haven't been able to tell exactly what is going on, but I am guessing that things aren't quite perfect with this firmware, but we're making progress.

Next time you have an outtage, see if you can release / renew the IP address on your router first. Also, see if you can ping 192.168.100.1, as I know you've got masquerading enabled. With the older firmware, obviously, none of these solutions work.
wayner92
Toronto, ON

wayner92

If possible I will but I still have it connected to my power switch that auto reboots when it is down for 5 mins.
Expand your moderator at work
LYuan
Canada

LYuan to wayner92

to wayner92

Re: [Modem/Router] Re: :: Hitron CGN3 v4.2.4.3 ::

It's been two days with my new CGN3, and I haven't had an update yet...I'm thinking I should be giving Tech Support a ring...

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

said by LYuan:

It's been two days with my new CGN3, and I haven't had an update yet...I'm thinking I should be giving Tech Support a ring...

Good luck. I've tried dealing with support a couple of times to get a CGN3 pushed. No success.
rickyricardo
join:2014-02-24
Canada

rickyricardo

I wonder if they keep track of serial numbers? You could have mine which is not even connected any more. Teksavvy works very well.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

said by rickyricardo:

I wonder if they keep track of serial numbers? You could have mine which is not even connected any more. Teksavvy works very well.

Doesn't it?

LYuan
Canada

LYuan to rickyricardo

to rickyricardo
said by rickyricardo:

You could have mine which is not even connected any more. Teksavvy works very well.

How well does TekSavvy work at 20mbps upload? Answer: It doesn't.

It's okay though, I woke up this morning, and my firmware is upgraded, so I'm back in business!

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

said by LYuan:

said by rickyricardo:

You could have mine which is not even connected any more. Teksavvy works very well.

How well does TekSavvy work at 20mbps upload? Answer: It doesn't.

It's okay though, I woke up this morning, and my firmware is upgraded, so I'm back in business!

Honestly I can't get 250/20 in High Park anyways so it's pretty moot to me. If the 72/2 to 150/10 upgrade timeframe was any indication TSI will likely offer the 250/20 tier by the time Rogers can sell it to me anyways.
rickyricardo
join:2014-02-24
Canada

rickyricardo

Of course if Teksavvy offers these speeds only via cable, e.g., Rogers you are just trading a wholesaler on a non functional Rogers line for a retailer on a non functional Rogers line.

I am curious though, if using non Rogers modems, so not Cisco or Hitron (2 or 3) , if Rogers works via a wholesaler better than Rogers itself which would be ironic.

I find the demand for 250/20 amusing. Other than a few sites like Apple, I have yet to find a site that will offer up content that would use 250 down.

I guess Bit Torrent users want a lot of up and down so they can get multiple movies and such over 250 (multiple streams?) Since Teksavvy was the company that had to go to court and arrange to report the IP addresses of uploaders, (subject to court approval) you have to wonder if Bit Torrent is all that safe to use, especially uploading.

I have never used it. Too many arcane terms and settings to bother with and I don't like the idea of uploading my content to strangers anyway.

I am getting 25/10 for $40 with 300 GB and 25 cents a GB overage, to a $25 maximum vs. Rogers' $1.50 per and $100 and they don't count uploading nor do they monitor usage 2-8 a.m. either so I doubt I will hit 300GB monthly under such terms.
wayner92
Toronto, ON

wayner92

The real value in the Rogers Ultimate latest tier is the 1TB monthly data allowance with Teksavvy you get 300 GB or unlimited. If 300GB is enough then you are fine. But the unlimited 150Mbps service from TeksVvy is stupidly expensive - likely due to Rogers' wholesale pricing. But the Teksavvy deal of giving you lower speeds in prime time and unlimited data does look attractive

The faster upload speed also has value, especially for Placeshfting video using something like Slingbox. This is also useful for doing backups to the cloud.

I agree that there is little practical value in going from 150 Mbps to 250Mbps, but that may change in the future. The fastest sustained speeds that I use are 80Mbps when doing FTPs so switching to lower tiers would slow me down from time to time

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

said by wayner92:

The real value in the Rogers Ultimate latest tier is the 1TB monthly data allowance with Teksavvy you get 300 GB or unlimited. If 300GB is enough then you are fine. But the unlimited 150Mbps service from TeksVvy is stupidly expensive - likely due to Rogers' wholesale pricing. But the Teksavvy deal of giving you lower speeds in prime time and unlimited data does look attractive

The faster upload speed also has value, especially for Placeshfting video using something like Slingbox. This is also useful for doing backups to the cloud.

I agree that there is little practical value in going from 150 Mbps to 250Mbps, but that may change in the future. The fastest sustained speeds that I use are 80Mbps when doing FTPs so switching to lower tiers would slow me down from time to time

Other things to remember is that the now existence of the 250/20 by Rogers I believe has TekSavvy complaining to the CRTC again. As you say, the 150/10/unlimited pricing from TekSavvy is VERY expensive. Much more so than 150/10/unlimited on Rogers.

It is exactly correct (as you say) that the reason for this is the wholesale rates TekSavvy is forced to pay to Rogers for backhaul.

The fact that Rogers promptly turned around and offered over 4x their previous high data cap (250GB) suggests that Rogers highly, highly inflated their costs when setting their wholesale rates. It's not like everyone didn't know this already though; Rogers was either lying about their costs or they're the worst run company in the world and have gross inefficiencies far in excess of what any company could actually get away with in a truly competitive environment.

Having said that, the president of Globalive asserts that all Canadian Big 3 telecoms are poorly run as evidenced by the fact that they ONLY operate in Canada since they can only exist when the government coddles them. So the latter is certainly also believable given that assertion (which I agree with).

I digress but ultimately the fact that the CRTC just swallowed what Rogers served them on this issue is also part of the problem. Not enough expert and non-biased opinion setting the regulations in this country and that's where most of our telecom issues begin.

Long short I have a feeling that a 250/20 tier and/or higher base caps and/or lower package prices from TekSavvy are incoming as soon the CRTC can be appropriately lobbied by TSI, at least for cable based customers. TekSavvy has a good history of actually LOWING package prices. My 25/7 DSL line cost me about $70/m including taxes. My 50/10 DSL line costs me about $70/m, including taxes. Not bad.

ALL of that said...

The question above as to does a TekSavvy customer get better service on a Rogers line using a third party modem vs. an "all Rogers" connection?

I think this is 50/50. On one hand, there is some indication that people using 61x1 or DCM modems are indeed getting much more stable connections on the Rogers network, underscoring the piss poor quality of Rogers Hitron/Cisco/SMC offerings. This goes for both TekSavvy customers AND Rogers customers who have snuck them on.

On the other hand, Rogers has a pretty well documented habit of just randomly disconnecting TPIA customers, or taking their sweet time to service TPIA customers with slow or bad lines, or taking their time to fix backhaul problems for TPIA providers, etc.

So a TekSavvy customer probably will get a better experience on the Rogers network if all customers are treated the same, given the better hardware offerings. Problem is, that isn't how Rogers treats TekSavvy customers.
LYuan
Canada

LYuan

I also believe that 250 down is quite useless, and I would be happy to give up 100Mbps of that to put it towards my upload. Ultimately, I need upload speed, and 20mbps is the only thing that comes close to satisfying that requirement, so unfortunately, all this TekSavvy talk is great, but for me, it's not an option right now. I will continue to keep an eye out for any updated packages in the event that they might add a higher upstream service.
wayner92
Toronto, ON

wayner92

said by LYuan:

Ultimately, I need upload speed, and 20mbps is the only thing that comes close

You're forgetting Rogers Ultimate Fibre 350 both ways!

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda to LYuan

Premium Member

to LYuan
said by LYuan:

I also believe that 250 down is quite useless, and I would be happy to give up 100Mbps of that to put it towards my upload. Ultimately, I need upload speed, and 20mbps is the only thing that comes close to satisfying that requirement, so unfortunately, all this TekSavvy talk is great, but for me, it's not an option right now. I will continue to keep an eye out for any updated packages in the event that they might add a higher upstream service.

To each their own and there are good things about Rogers that compelled me to switch back and try it out.

Keep in mind if you REALLY want upstream speed you can always get bundled lines with TekSavvy using MLPPP. 4 x 25/10 lines = 100/40. Some guys who absolutely need upstream for projects / etc have gone this route. TekSavvy also doesn't charge for upstream transfer (i.e. uploads don't count towards your cap).

I think there is at least one user with 8 x 50/10 lines running in a bundle for some reason. 400/80 with 2.4TB of transfer monthly.
LYuan
Canada

LYuan

That's interesting to know! Does your cap also quadruple if you trunk 4 lines together?
wayner92
Toronto, ON

wayner92

I believe it does quadruple but then so does your monthly fee.