Search similar:

uniqs

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH

7 recommendations

buzz_4_20

So.... What they really did

Was keep a lot of people from seeing all the advertisements from which they generate revenue.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

They have no way of accurately measuring how many people are viewing via pirated streams. Therefore the advertisements generate zero additional revenue.

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH

1 recommendation

buzz_4_20

If an ad airs in the forest...

It's a shame there wasn't a legal way to see the Olympics for free, online, while getting counted for ad revenue.
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

said by buzz_4_20:

If an ad airs in the forest...

It's a shame there wasn't a legal way to see the Olympics for free, online, while getting counted for ad revenue.

Yes, that would be nice. Maybe next time they will do something. Ratings were not as good as they had hoped on the main channel.

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour

said by silbaco:

Yes, that would be nice. Maybe next time they will do something. Ratings were not as good as they had hoped on the main channel.

I caught a few moments of one of the biathlons, and that was it. Usually my wife and I are pretty avid Winter Olympics watchers, but not this time. She watched more than I did, but not very much more.

Part of the reason I took a pass, this time, was, unquestionably, my disgust with the IOC's and NBC's coverage policies.

Jim

comcstsucks
@qwest.net

1 recommendation

comcstsucks to buzz_4_20

Anon

to buzz_4_20
Dont worry Comcast, I didn't watch the Olympics at all - no hits, no ad rev.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

1 recommendation

pandora to jseymour

Premium Member

to jseymour
I tried to watch, but the schedule wasn't accurate and some events were either not covered or were covered at times not listed on the schedule. After a few days it wasn't worth the effort as most events were just highlights that were long done.

I tried to log on to the nbcolympics.com website, it had a window and wanted my provider username and password. Promising nbc wouldn't know what they were, there was no ssl indication. I wasn't going to give nbc my provider account number, my billing email address and provider password over a non-secured link to maybe watch some streams.

The IOC should permit live streaming via internet worldwide without comment or editing. I'd rather just watch the events.
46436203 (banned)
join:2013-01-03

2 recommendations

46436203 (banned) to silbaco

to silbaco
They have no way of accurately measuring how many people are viewing via antenna or cable, either. If you think a few hundred Nielsen surveys/boxes are an accurate way to measure what all 320 million Americans are watching then I've got a bridge to sell you.
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

I don't. But advertisers do.

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

6 recommendations

jseymour to pandora

to pandora
said by pandora:

I tried to watch, but the schedule wasn't accurate and some events were either not covered or were covered at times not listed on the schedule. After a few days it wasn't worth the effort as most events were just highlights that were long done.

Additionally: What coverage there was, was highly-U.S.-centric. Almost to the exclusion of everybody else.

All-in-all: It was simply uninteresting.

Jim
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

1 recommendation

rradina to 46436203

to 46436203
If you use a cable box, they know what you are watching and when you watch it. You might be thinking that they don't know if the TV is actually turned on, right? No problem if the TV is connected via HDMI. You might be thinking that they don't know if you are actually in the room. OK -- well, they probably don't know that!

Microsoft claims Kinnect can tell who is in the room. That spooked some folks. Throwing a hand-towel over the Kinnect probably solves that -- or putting it inside a cabinet when not in use.

Regardless, it doesn't really matter if they have exact numbers. That's what Nielsen does. Inferential statistics do the rest.

lucky644
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04

lucky644 to buzz_4_20

Premium Member

to buzz_4_20
said by buzz_4_20:

Well, I'm in Canada and I watched the Olympics live, online, without a cable connection, via CBC's website.

There were ads, but no more than on traditional network feeds.

It was high quality and stable as well, I was quite impressed.
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

5 recommendations

Chubbysumo to jseymour

to jseymour
I ended up using a VPN/proxy to watch streams from other countries, since the US coverage online and on the TV was total shitfest of nothing but ads and garbage propaganda. The online streaming was paywalled, and very limited. I watched what I wanted to, with only a few ads, and stopped watching after a few days. The Olympics are a joke now, because they have turned from amateur athlete showoffs to pros with sponsorships and all kinds of other shit, and are filled with nothing but ads. fuck that.

CodeeCB
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Minneapolis, MN

CodeeCB to rradina

Premium Member

to rradina
You are ridiculous and clearly have no idea how the cable system works. Even the new X1 boxes don't report back what the user is watching and they are the only ones that make use of the 2 way modem in them. Clueless and paranoid/crazy people running on theories and spouting shit on forums make the halfway normal and not totally crazy people turn crazy and believe that shit. If they could see what everyone was watching, why the hell would ANY advertiser be happy with Nielsens ratings which are very basic and not a good sample base?
bayshun
join:2010-04-29

bayshun to buzz_4_20

to buzz_4_20
This is what I never understood about this kind of thing. OK, maybe they don't have broadcaster permission to rebroadcast the streams, but...who cares? To me, this seems like a selling point for advertisers, and the broadcaster wouldn't have to do anything extra.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to Chubbysumo

Premium Member

to Chubbysumo
ad nauseam is the word you were looking for
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to CodeeCB

to CodeeCB
The tech is all there. Prove they don't do it. Perhaps you don't know as much as you think you do?

»www.comcast.com/Corporat ··· acy.html

You might want to read this section:
Our cable systems may collect anonymous and/or aggregate information using set-top boxes and other equipment. We use this information to determine which programs are most popular, how many people watch a program to its conclusion, and whether people are watching commercials, for example.

sylliec
@mycingular.net

1 recommendation

sylliec to buzz_4_20

Anon

to buzz_4_20
NBC is proud of blocking people from "illegally" streaming advertisement-laden content? What a bunch of nose-cutters!

NBC - your Olympic coverage ain't that great. Believe me, any interest in the Olympics the public has needs to be fed, not starved. Oh we'll, it's your face that loses its nose, not mine.

Ish1950
@bhn.net

Ish1950 to rradina

Anon

to rradina

NBC, Comcast and the Winter Olympics Sucked!

No matter technically advanced Comcast may be, how can they tell what I'm "watching" when my TV is on but I'm at Walmart? The cable box literally makes your flat screen tv over a foot thick and tethered to the cable wire., that's really technically advanced.........for Bangladesh!
kmg90
join:2002-08-25
Shawano, WI

kmg90 to Chubbysumo

to Chubbysumo

Re: So.... What they really did

I too jumped on the VPN bandwagon after using Hola for a little bit to see how Canada's coverage fared compared to what I was getting through my TV sub and it was night and day difference in quality, ease of use and access!

No embargoes, almost instant archive access, mosaic stream views, real-time/timestamped results and standings (allowing you to keep track of what has happened at the point in time in an event without spoiling who wins prematurely)....

Props to CBC (and PIA for providing great VPN speeds) for amazing coverage that puts the gated, commercialized and propagandistic NBC coverage to shame....
Goldielover
join:2008-02-29
Toronto, ON

Goldielover to pandora

to pandora
We were able to do that in Canada on CBC. They had regular coverage on their main channel, but streamed everything including qualifiers on-line. The feed was direct from the Olympic Broadcasting Service. They did overlay commentary on a number of them, although they did not edit, and there were no talking heads to be seen. Others were just the feed with no commentary. And no, I did not have to have a cable subscription to watch the on-line feed. It was great to be able to watch an event from beginning to end instead of just being shown highlights of Canadians only. I enjoyed many hours of uninterrupted viewing. I'm glad they've got the rights for Rio in 2016, and hope they do the same thing.
Goldielover

Goldielover to lucky644

to lucky644
The webcasts on the CBC site were even better than the regular programming that they also put up on-line. No ads at all on the webcasts. If I had a choice between the Sportsnet feed and the webcast feed I went for the webcast. I was mostly streaming them with a slight delay, though. Many events were not at a great time for watching live. I watched the hockey live, of course. I know many people make it almost a national sport to bash the CBC, but they really are much better at things like the Olympics than CTV will ever be.