spc
Search similar:

uniqs

misty
@bhn.net

misty

Anon

Here's a crazy question for you

OK, so I bought an HP laptop computer (windows 8 - I added the basic shell ver.) to use with my Husqvarna sewing machine embroidery software. I wanted to use my old desktop monitor with it so the designs would be larger to see. I also purchased a keyboard and mouse set. Everything works fine without the addition of the monitor. When the desktop monitor is plugged in my mouse cursor turns to what looks like a USB port icon ?!?!?!?! It stays an arrow on the laptop screen. And depending on what I'm pointing at on the desktop monitor, the "icon" grows larger and blacker so I can't see where to click. It's the craziest thing I've ever seen. So, in another post someone asked about their monitor being compatible with windows 8 and the answer they received was that any monitor can be used with windows 8. With that said, I'm thinking it's possible the monitor is not compatible with the Husqvarna software as it only happens when using that software??? Anybody have a clue?

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible

Let's review.

This monitor works perfectly fine in all other applications/uses but acts all funny when it runs the sewing program? Ditto for when the mouse is plugged in?

When you run the sewing program on your laptop without the monitor plugged in it works flawlessly?

When you run the sewing program on your laptop without the monitor plugged in, but you plug the mouse in does it run all good and dandy?

misty
@bhn.net

misty

Anon

Thanks for the quick reply.

All works fine with all other programs and with using the mouse and keyboard.
The keyboard and mouse came in a set )Logitech.
Yes, it works flawlessly when only using the laptop with the keyboard and mouse.
I just wanted the monitor to be able to view the designs in a larger format.
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

asdfdfdfdfdf to misty

Premium Member

to misty
Are you sure the software isn't trying to tell you that the sewing machine isn't connected to the computer using the usb cable or that the embroidery stick is being read from or written to or isn't connected or something?

Misty
@bhn.net

Misty

Anon

Absolutely positive.

mk4111
@start.ca

mk4111

Anon

Are you duplicating or extending the desktop to the monitor?

Misty
@bhn.net

Misty

Anon

said by mk4111 :

Are you duplicating or extending the desktop to the monitor?

If by that you mean-do I see on the laptop screen what I see on the monitor, then the answer is yes.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to misty

to misty
How is the external monitor connected to the laptop?
Could you list the model number of the laptop?

Misty
@bhn.net

Misty

Anon

said by dib22:

How is the external monitor connected to the laptop?
Could you list the model number of the laptop?

I don't know the model number but it's a bare bones HP G6 (Bare, because it is dedicated only to the embroidery machine)

I used a 15 pin connector (which incidentally now that you asked I took a good look at and see that it has a pin missing) Do you suppose that could be the problem?

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

1 recommendation

Camelot One

MVM

I would try turning off mirroring, and see if you get the same behavior when the external monitor is the only active display.
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member

asdfdfdfdfdf to Misty

Premium Member

to Misty
"which incidentally now that you asked I took a good look at and see that it has a pin missing) Do you suppose that could be the problem?"

No, it's normal and it wouldn't cause this kind of behavior.

dib22
Kansas City, MO

1 edit

dib22 to Misty

to Misty
said by Misty :

Do you suppose that could be the problem?

No, I was hoping you would say you were using a USB display adapter Your answer doesn't help me figure out what's going on at all

But I do agree that you should turn off mirroring.

Connect both screens...
You can launch desktop, then right click anywhere blank on the desktop and choose "Screen Resolution".

You will see "Multiple displays", that drop down should allow you multiple options... try them out until you find one that doesn't cause it to do the weird pointer change.

Misty
@bhn.net

Misty to Camelot One

Anon

to Camelot One
said by Camelot One:

I would try turning off mirroring, and see if you get the same behavior when the external monitor is the only active display.

Yesterday I did a windows 8 update to Classic Shell. (I didn't set up the duplicating initially) When I went to display to check on turning it off, it wasn't even on so I don't know now if it wasn't actually set up to do that. *sigh

So, what I'm going to do is get a new 15 pin connector and possibly a new monitor (because the old monitor doesn't fit very well in the space I want it anyway) and try setting things up all over again. If this doesn't fix the problem, I'll return the monitor and come back here to bother you all again. Regardless of the situation I can use a new 15 pin connector it seems.

In the meantime, thank you all for your help on this. I will come back to post my outcome after I purchase and set up again.
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member

asdfdfdfdfdf to misty

Premium Member

to misty
What you are describing with the mouse cursor isn't going to be a problem with the monitor or with the monitor cable so I wouldn't suggest spending money doing that.

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

said by asdfdfdfdfdf:

What you are describing with the mouse cursor isn't going to be a problem with the monitor or with the monitor cable so I wouldn't suggest spending money doing that.

Agreed. This is a software issue, either the program itself, or the interaction between the video drivers/configuration and the program.

Misty
@bhn.net

Misty

Anon

said by Camelot One:

said by asdfdfdfdfdf:

Agreed. This is a software issue, either the program itself, or the interaction between the video drivers/configuration and the program.

We'll shoot! Wish y'all lived next door so you could come figure this out for me. I guess I just have to deal with the little laptop screen. *sigh*. I thank you soooo much for saving me from going broke buying a new monitor etc... I sincerely appreciate all of y'all's help with this. {{{hugs}}}

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

1 recommendation

Camelot One

MVM

Did you try disabling the laptop screen, so that the external monitor is the only display? You can cycle through laptop only, laptop+external, and external only using the fn+hotkey on the laptop keyboard. Try just the external, launch the program, and see if you still have the cursor issue.

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

I *think* it is the fn key + F4 on this model.

Misty
@bhn.net

Misty to Camelot One

Anon

to Camelot One
said by Camelot One:

Did you try disabling the laptop screen, so that the external monitor is the only display? You can cycle through laptop only, laptop+external, and external only using the fn+hotkey on the laptop keyboard. Try just the external, launch the program, and see if you still have the cursor issue.

No, I didn't try that. I will do it later today and report back when I do.
Misty

Misty

Anon

Just got the chance last night to plug in the monitor. So far, just using the monitor and also using the keyboard and mouse...all is ok, the cursor is normal. It may take awhile for this problem to show up so I am going to leave it this way for a couple days. If over the weekend, it raises it's ugly head I will try the other option of the fn+hotkey. I'm hoping the problem was just in the duplicating.
Misty

Misty

Anon

UPDATE:
I have had no problems with the cursor since my last post. With no duplicating on the laptop...only the monitor viewing the software designs...the cursor remains an arrow. Cross your fingers for me that the problem does not exist any longer. If I should encounter the dreaded "USB cursor" I will come back for additional help but I am not anticipating that happening at this point. Thank you all for your help. Have a GREAT DAY everyone.