HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

IP Geolocation, WTF...

Man, this is really pissing me off...

I've had my Static IP from TSI for 6.5 years, and for the longest time it was reported as Toronto... Then sites started to detect me from Port Perry, then it went back to Toronto for a while, now it's f'n Stoufville...

Where the f**k do these damn geolocation bots get this information?

I know IP geolocation sucks and its not accurate, but when it used to report me as Toronto, why the hell does it change???

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC

TSI Gabe

Premium Member

I think the problem is that the static IPs are assigned from a few pools of /24 and that if your direct "IP Neighbor" so to speak lives in a different area it might skew the data.

I'm working on something that will help for dynamic IPs where we can identify at least what area you live in and assign IPs from a pool for that region.

Static IPs though is just not scalable for us, we can't reserve a whole /24 for each city in the off chance someone asks for a static IP.

mikekay
Premium Member
join:2011-01-29
Kitchener, ON

mikekay to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Man, this is really pissing me off...

I've had my Static IP from TSI for 6.5 years, and for the longest time it was reported as Toronto... Then sites started to detect me from Port Perry, then it went back to Toronto for a while, now it's f'n Stoufville...

Where the f**k do these damn geolocation bots get this information?

I know IP geolocation sucks and its not accurate, but when it used to report me as Toronto, why the hell does it change???

Doesn't each website maintain its own database or where they think it comes from, unless the AP has a location attached it will keep tracing until it finds and AP or location = IP match and pin you there.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I just wish sites wouldn't do this... Just today, a site located my work IP address to be in Lethbridge Alberta. like wtf?

This is on Rogers

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to TSI Gabe

Premium Member

to TSI Gabe
said by TSI Gabe:

that if your direct "IP Neighbor" so to speak lives in a different area it might skew the data.

This might explain why most sites get it right, but a few databases have me in Red Deer, I thought it was odd, but didn't care to take the time to figure out why
balur
join:2010-04-28

balur to HiVolt

to HiVolt
I remember when I was working in ISP support we had a customer that wanted to use his provincial lottery website.

Unfortunately their Geolocation database had him located in another province, and wouldn't let him login.

He wouldn't take "Nothing we can do" as an answer and kept calling on a daily basis.

All of our IPs on his VLAN were in the same range as well, the T1 wanted to have him put on a different VLAN to solve the problem. We ended up assigning him a DHCP Static since it was on a different range. Luckily that one was listed as the correct province in the DB.

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans
join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON

Mashiki to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

I just wish sites wouldn't do this... Just today, a site located my work IP address to be in Lethbridge Alberta. like wtf?

This is on Rogers

That's alright, the DSL connection I had out in Alberta(telus) thought I was in the NWT for Walmart. Their 'location' thing while I'm on Tek here tells me I'm in Woodstock, New Brunswick.

Geolocation stuff is garbage, especially with the shortage of IP4 addresses right now and the amount coming and going out of the pool right now.
shoeman
join:2013-10-03

shoeman

I've always wondered if there was a Chrome extension or desktop client you could use to improve geolocation at the browser level?
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman to HiVolt

to HiVolt
it might be garbage but it tends to work well for bell customers which put the city name in the reverse dns...

personally I find it handy that google knows where I am so I don't have to switch region to get locally relevant results & business listings...

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
Go here:

»www.maxmind.com/en/geoip_demo

See what your IP resolves as.

MaxMind is one of the more popular GeoIP databases in use.
technik0
join:2008-01-09
Guelph, ON
Technicolor TC4400
Hitron CDA3
Technicolor DCM476

technik0 to HiVolt

to HiVolt
pretty accurate here.

On some checkers it has me in Toronto. (I'm in Guelph)
On some others it has me placed literally a few streets away from where I live which is a tad creepy in ways.

»www.iplocation.net/

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans
join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON

Mashiki to shoeman

to shoeman
said by shoeman:

I've always wondered if there was a Chrome extension or desktop client you could use to improve geolocation at the browser level?

Not sure if you still can, but you used to be able to force a location by using the developer console in Chrome. Chances are you can do something similar with a plugin as well.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Mashiki:

said by shoeman:

Not sure if you still can, but you used to be able to force a location by using the developer console in Chrome. Chances are you can do something similar with a plugin as well.

I would be interested to hear more about THAT.

AFAIK, it was all done by the website looking up your IP address.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to SimplePanda

Premium Member

to SimplePanda
said by SimplePanda:

Go here:

»www.maxmind.com/en/geoip_demo

See what your IP resolves as.

MaxMind is one of the more popular GeoIP databases in use.

Thats the funny part, I googled a lot of sites that tell you where I'm from... And all of them say Toronto... So i have no idea where some of these sites get the info from...

I mean, I would totally understand if this was a new IP block acquired by TSI, or something else... but I've had this IP for 6.5 years, on a block that TSI probably had for many years prior.

Alittlegreen
join:2008-07-24
Montreal, QC

Alittlegreen

For what it's worth, myself and 3 other Montreal TS subscribers that I personally know (on dynamic ip) are always geolocated in Toronto. This has been for years.

I also opened a support ticket/question on their portal and was advised that they were aware of it, but they weren't sure why. And that at this time, there was no fix for it.

Oh well...

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to technik0

Premium Member

to technik0
Click for full size
said by technik0:

pretty accurate here.

On some checkers it has me in Toronto. (I'm in Guelph)
On some others it has me placed literally a few streets away from where I live which is a tad creepy in ways.

»www.iplocation.net/

Thanks this is the only one that seems to point me to Stoufville...

I just wonder where they get the info from... I mean it wouldnt bother me if it said Chatham... Because thats where TSI HQ is, and IP's might be registered there...

I wish sites, especially stores or other places where you want to be located in the right place would stop doing this. they must know its not accurate, and it just pisses people off.. Just prompt to enter postal code, no problem...