Gordo74
Premium Member
join:2003-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordo74

Premium Member

[Plumbing] Changing Bathroom Sink Help Needed

Hi All.

I bought my first house a little over a year ago and did almost everything that I wanted to at that point (new furnace/AC, new carpet, painted every room). But there was always a bathroom that my wife referred to as the "rapist bathroom" which literally looked like a gas station bathroom, complete with flickering florescent lighting. Over time, I changed out the mirror and replaced the lighting and painted, so it looks slightly better now, but my wife still hates the sink (personally, I think it's fine, it gives hot water, cold water, has a drain and it's clean, what more do you want?? Anyway, I digress).

It just so happened that there was someone across the street from my parent's house who were throwing away their old pedestal sink. I noticed it could use some TLC and the pedestal was missing a piece, but overall it didn't look anything but dirty, yet functional. So we threw it in the back seat and brought it over.
After getting it inside, it's obvious that we will need a new faucet on it since the old one was a brass plating that was wearing down to the normal metal.
My question is, how do I remove the old sink? I know how to shut off the water, take off the supply lines, and uncouple the drain. That much I got. But how do I get it off the wall? Just loosen the bracket behind it on the wall and then lift it off? Is it that easy?

Also, for the new sink, there was no bracket. Could I possibly re-use the bracket for my old sink? It looks like I could bend it to accommodate the slightly larger lip. As far as a new faucet, do I just remove the bolts holding the old one on, slip the new one in, tighten the bolts, connect the supply line, and be good to go?
Just looking for some general guidance from people who may understand and have done this kind of thing before. I have attached pictures of existing and the new sink.

»imgur.com/a/9Zte9

Thanks.

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey

[Plumbing] Re: Changing Bathroom Sink Help Needed

said by Gordo74:

... how do I get it off the wall? Just loosen the bracket behind it on the wall and then lift it off? Is it that easy?

Could I possibly re-use the bracket for my old sink?

As far as a new faucet, do I just remove the bolts holding the old one on, slip the new one in, tighten the bolts, connect the supply line, and be good to go?

1. Probably, but yeah, make sure you create a fissure in any caulk first.

2. Probably not. I think I see bolt holes in your 'new' sink photo. Get it lined up to the wall, then get behind there and add blocking between studs inside the wall where the holes are. Use the largest reasonable screws or bolts with washers to bolt the sink to the blocking through the sheetrock.

3. Pretty much. You probably need a basin wrench. The tricky thing with pedestals is getting the trap set and the drain secured before you caulk the basin to the pedestal. You have to dry fit the entire assembly, then take the basin off the pedestal, finish the piping on the basin, and stack it back together. Depends on the sink whether you can caulk assembled or if you need to apply caulk before you set the basin back on the ped. Use a compression fitting on the horizontal pipe going into the wall.

4. Also with peds you probably don't want to use flexible supply lines - chromed brass look better, but you might need a set of bender springs to do that part.

Gotta run ... ask back if more issues.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to Gordo74

Mod

to Gordo74
Are you sure that faucet is brass plated and not tarnished solid brass? Looks to me like it could just need polishing.

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion to Gordo74

MVM

to Gordo74

Re: [Plumbing] Changing Bathroom Sink Help Needed

Just inserting a comment.. old sink ugly, new sink VERY nice!

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin

Re: [Plumbing] Re: Changing Bathroom Sink Help Needed

said by robbin:

Are you sure that faucet is brass plated and not tarnished solid brass? Looks to me like it could just need polishing.

That's what it looks like to me too! I would start using something like soft scrub so I didn't hurt me finish on it, I'm betting it will clean up nicely.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

1 recommendation

mityfowl to Gordo74

Premium Member

to Gordo74

Re: [Plumbing] Changing Bathroom Sink Help Needed

1st rule of wife and bathroom.

Make momma happy.