« Gad No!
This is a sub-selection from The 10TB thing is getting old
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks to DataRiker

to DataRiker

Re: The 10TB thing is getting old

4TB is still excessive for such a connection, even a business class connection. That's a 24/7 sustained average of >12mbit/s. Verizon probably thought he was reselling the connection, which is frankly the first assumption I would have made in their shoes.

If you need such bandwidth you should be looking into a dedicated product, or perhaps consider a data center to host your application. If I recall correctly the users in question had essentially taken their entire video libraries and put them online for the benefit of their extended families.

FIOS was never marketed as or intended to be a replacement for your LAN. It's still a shared product at the end of the day.

I'm not even certain why someone would wish to use it in such a manner, other than bragging rights. If you have a bandwidth hungry service you care enough about to pay for a business class connection why wouldn't you put it in a webhosting center? You can buy such services for less than a business class FIOS connection and they come with far better connectivity, on-site security, redundant power supplies, backup hardware, and so forth.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

2 recommendations

DataRiker

Premium Member

Crookshanks, I have clients getting close to 1+ TB usage monthly for years now on SOHO cable accounts.

As I stated earlier, on my old COX Soho account I hit well north of 1 TB regularly.

I can't even begin to describe how pathetic this is.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

said by DataRiker:

Crookshanks, I have clients getting close to 1+ TB usage monthly for years now on SOHO cable accounts.

As I stated earlier, on my old COX Soho account I hit well north of 1 TB regularly.

Verizon doesn't cap to 1TB. What's your point?

DataRiker
Premium Member

3 recommendations

DataRiker

Premium Member

said by silbaco:

said by DataRiker:

Cable is many magnitudes more bandwidth sensitive than Fiber.

Yet, I can still max my small business connection without a peep.

Please do explain!!!
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

2 recommendations

Skippy25

They have special mice running those wheels that keep the business class network running more smoothly.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 recommendation

silbaco to DataRiker

Premium Member

to DataRiker
said by DataRiker:

said by silbaco:

said by DataRiker:

Cable is many magnitudes more bandwidth sensitive than Fiber.

Yet, I can still max my small business connection without a peep.

Please do explain!!!

What's to explain? Verizon doesn't want people using more than 10 TB per month on their FiOS network. The amount of people affected by it is so few it's not even worth mentioning.
BlueC
join:2009-11-26
Minneapolis, MN

1 recommendation

BlueC to DataRiker

to DataRiker
FTTH is, in most cases, a last-mile improvement. It does not in any way improve the middle-mile and transit capacities.

Just because a provider drops fiber at your home, does not mean that bandwidth costs beyond your home become non-existent.
Expand your moderator at work

DataRiker
Premium Member

1 recommendation

DataRiker to BlueC

Premium Member

to BlueC

Re: The 10TB thing is getting old

transit capacity is dirt cheap and often top tier providers MAKE money on transfer.

ISP's cried the last mile river for a decade. Now this fable?
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

1 recommendation

rradina to silbaco

to silbaco
If it's so few, what's the motivation for stopping those that want to use more than 10TB? If they are afraid someone is becoming the corner hot spot for a dozen neighborhood houses, make sure that's prohibited, catch them and prosecute.
« Gad No!
This is a sub-selection from The 10TB thing is getting old