how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JimmyK814

join:2010-12-29
Altoona, PA

TiVo questions

I was curious on how Atlantic Broadband's TiVo setup is being deployed.

From what I understand, the current modem or phone modem is replaced by a new modem with specific Moca capabilities and wireless capabilities.

What I am wondering is how does this impact an existing home network? Is the Moca network independent of the existing LAN using a customers router, or does it bridge to connect the two? Can I still use my own wireless router? Can I still connect to my IP address from outside of my home and VPN to my computer? Does this new modem act as a built in router and prevent this type of connectivity?

I'm guessing there is a point of entry filter on the coax line to prevent the network from bleeding out to the neighborhood.

Just curious on the specifics.

redpenguin

join:2010-06-17
united state
It may be better to get an actual ABB Tech's response but this is as far I understand it from researching what MoCA is.

It appears that it should not "harm" your home network at all, as the "normal" modem freq (Ch 101-108) would not be touched.

Supposedly MoCA uses freq ranges on the cable that normally would never be used, this way it doesn't screw up normal TVs without MoCA devices connected to the coxial.

This leads me to believe any of the equipment you are currently using except obviously the modem should not change in any way and you should be able to continue using them as if nothing changed.

Though my question is, if you are like myself and purchased a modem (SB641) how would you get a TiVo using your owned modem?

I still don't understand how TiVo is in the JTown/Altoona area when it doesn't appear that every single analog-to-digital simulcast channel (mainly Value) is completed yet and they have no analog tuners.

JimmyK814

Altoona, PA
I didn't realize the T6 didn't have an analog tuner. That is pretty curious. I also have a SiliconDust cablecard tuner. I'll have to check that out tonight and see what comes back digital now.

redpenguin

united state

2 edits
ABB themselves states it's Digital Only:

»www.atlanticbb.com/sites/all/the···uide.pdf

Page 24

"You may be trying to access an antenna or analog cable channel. The TiVo T6 DVR, Tivo Mini, or TiVo Preview does not receive analog channels."

So this is why I am so confused. I mean they do have Limited Basic simulcasted now, but I doubt if you are spending extra for the TiVo you don't only want Limited Basic, LoL.

Also we don't obviously have a digital HD version of every single analog that's not in digital yet, so not sure how they would get Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, truTV, etc.

Looks like ABB's got some "splanin" (Ricky Ricardo) to do, LoL.

But either way JimmyK814 I am totally interested in your results. I've have no one I know personally with a CableCard to see what's available with it, only "ClearQAM" tuner folks. Also if you can provide Channel Num/Freq, that would be totally awesome.

JimmyK814

Altoona, PA
Well, I checked last night. Limited Basic is in the clear with a digital/analog simulcast, along with a few channels higher up on the lineup. 23-75 is also present, but they are encrypted and hidden away along with the most of the digtial tier above 100. Every channel is now digital. Seems like the Cisco boxes are already pointing to the digital versions since Dolby Digital Plus lights up on my receiver on the value channels where it didn't before.

At least I can get rid of my analog tuner card and a splitter now.

Hopefully they force some people off analog and use the bandwidth savings for some more HD. The HD lineup is so poor right now, it's hard to believe people aren't defecting left and right for satellite if they're interested in anything beyond basic cable.

I didn't see an easy way to create a channel/frequency list. I can see them one at a time in some configuration screens, but no easy export. The QAM's are curiously combined with no real disernable pattern to them.

redpenguin

united state

3 edits
Wow, I guess you really do need a CableCard then to get all of the simulcasts.

To give a nice output you can do this:

In a command prompt:

1. cd "c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun"

2. hdhomerun_config.exe discover

3. hdhomerun_config.exe DEVICE_ID_HERE 0 scan output.txt

(I would just attach the txt after vs pasting it on the forum).

(I use that method for my buddy's HDHomeRun Prime to give us a nice dump for diagnostics or what have you.)

My buddy has the HDHomeRun Premier (You most likely have this unit) and he was hoping to not to have to get a CableCard, but it's better than nothing at all and at least he even has said option.

I guess this explains the TiVo mystery I had.

I thought since some folks in Cumberland reported Value not encrypted they would do it here as well, but guess not.

What I don't understand is, I took a look at the QAM freq's and it didn't appear there were enough encrypted channels for them all to be there once you subtracted how many would be needed for "normal" digital.

JimmyK814

Altoona, PA
What are you hoping to accomplish with the information out of curiosity?

redpenguin

united state

1 edit
Well technically, I can't do much with the info.

It was more of a curiosity thing as a radio scanner guy, as to see how they were able to fit all of the channels on such a tight line with all of the analogs.

But mainly I am trying to see why when I count the total number of encrypted channels, subtract digital tier, and known unencrypted, it didn't seem there was enough room for all of the simulcasts.

JimmyK814

Altoona, PA
I understand. I'm the same, also into radio and various technologies. Sometimes you just want to know how it works

What I think is interesting is they could completely overhaul the system to make it one of the best without increasing the bandwidth of the system. If they would just phase out the older STB's that didn't support MPEG4, they could create H.264 streams of all the channels and squeeze in a considerable amount more. If you look at a MPEG2 channel and watch the bit rate and amount of data consumed (especially HD) it's amazing that they can squeeze in what they already have.

The newer cisco boxes support MPEG4 and I imagine the TiVo does even though that info is hard to come by.

redpenguin

united state

2 edits
Yea MPEG2 I always felt was a waste of space/bandwidth but it's use for everything it seems.

Also it doesn't seem that SDV is in use quite yet.

At least I haven't heard folks having to get tuning adapters yet unless they install them auto with TiVos.

EDIT: Another reason I was curious also was, you can't even call ABB for more info. They tried telling me every channel including "Limited Basic" was encrypted and the channels in 90.xxx were from other the air or from "another cable company"? LoL. (I asked because to find out how much per month the CableCard cost which was $2/mo).

They acted like they had no clue what a HDHomeRun Prime was, and asked do a I want a TV or TiVo CableCard, LoL.

NetLarry

join:2007-03-18
Johnstown, PA
reply to JimmyK814
There is no SDV used, whether Tivo or not.

Upon Tivo installation, a MOCA filter is installed at the ingress to the house, blocking interaction outside the residence.

The HDHomeRun Prime will require a cablecard from ABB. OnDemand functionality will not be available for that type of setup, but all channels in your package will be available.

redpenguin

united state

4 edits
NetLarry did Cumberland also encrypt their Value package? (Folks claim this was not the case some while back).

Also a customer service agent claimed eventually the analog will be gone, making it sound soon.

I guess only Limited Basic will not require a CC, at least until they kill every single analog.

Little bit of a bummer since newspaper articles from Florida and Grasonville, MD made it sound like ABB wasn't a company like Comcast to require DTA's for basic cable (yes I know it's simulcasts with analog but it's still basic cable), only if you had an old analog TV.

www.qac.org/Docs/PublicWorks/digitalmigration_082010.pdf

redpenguin

united state

4 edits
Actually I think I am starting to take the position of others on this forum, that ABB should just go all encrypted. I mean it's a bummer that folks who pay for Value, have digital tuners, can't get the Value package in digital free with their package (without a $2/mo CC), yet folks who are "brave" enough to remove the trap on their lines or even connect themselves if they have no service, can get everything free. Makes no sense in the long run. I mean I support unencrypted for customer compatibility but looks like ABB doesn't see it this way, I mean folks pay $75/mo (pretty much $1 per channel) for non-digital. Also $16 increase in just a few years? (A few years ago it was $59).

So basically current customers get no extra value unless they want to pay for extra equipment and thieves are not stopped in any way.

Also NetLarry, has ABB completely scraped the idea of SDV in JTown/Altoona?

No wonder folks claim they hate Cable Companies, LoL.

Also a little bit surprised that WKBS (Conerstone) HD and QVC HD are both encrypted when they are part of the Limited Tier and the FCC claims it has to be unencrypted.

Mountaintech

join:2003-05-30
Cumberland, MD
reply to redpenguin
said by redpenguin:

NetLarry did Cumberland also encrypt their Value package? (Folks claim this was not the case some while back).

The Value package is encrypted and using the simulcast version if you have a device that uses a cable card which includes, TiVo & DCH/DCX model set top boxes.

If you have a DCT model set top box or no set top box at all your watching the analog version of the Value package.

In both cases, the limited channel lineup is unencrypted along with their associated HD version if carried.

redpenguin

united state
That's not completely true here in JTown. WKBS HD and QVC HD are both encrypted, yet both are definitely Limited Basic.

Mountaintech

join:2003-05-30
Cumberland, MD
Sorry for the confusion was replying to the question about Cumberland encryption. In Jtown not sure.

redpenguin

united state

2 edits
No I know you meant Cumberland. Normally JTown follows the same procedure, not sure why they are not in this case.

I tried to get a hold of somebody in the JTown/Altoona area to find out why these two channels (WKBS HD and QVC HD) are encrypted but nobody at all answers their email, not even emailsupport@atlanticbb.net anymore.

MountainTech or NetLarry, has ABB told you guys of any plan that ABB will be going 100% digital in either Cumberland or JTown/Altoona? I take it then and only then (due to use of traps) ABB will actually give the channels unencrypted to Value customers?

JimmyK814

Altoona, PA
I bet they are looking to do away with truck rolls for the traps. That's probably what's behind only leaving the limited basic unencrypted. From a business standpoint, it makes sense.

redpenguin

united state

2 edits
Makes total sense. Though the only confusing part is, on AVSForum, it was reported they leave Limited Basic in analog even in their digital-only areas. So I don't understand how they can ever do away with traps completely.

Though I wonder if they would ever do like Comcast and actually have trucks go everywhere removing them all.

The truck rolls are expensive, they were charging $35 to make a change to your service like going from Value to Limited Basic or cancelling analog all together.

Though sometimes I wonder if ABB likes truck rolls though, because they claim Grasonville, MD and Miami Beach, FL which went all digital, don't require a DTA, so they would have be using traps, otherwise I have no clue how they would do it efficiently.

redpenguin

united state
reply to JimmyK814
On a side note, anybody know if Grasonville, MD or Florida has gone 100% encrypted with their Value package?

wml1950

join:2014-03-17
usa
Have ABB in Miami. It is not 100% encrypted. Most channels below 100 are transmitted from coax cable directly into tv. I do not know what happens when using Tivo directly with ABB. I use a retail Tivo box.

redpenguin

united state

1 edit
Makes you wonder if ABB would encrypt or not in JTown once we went all-digital.

Testing my Uniontown buddy's cable, I was only seeing Limited Basic ClearQAM, so it seems to be similar to Johnstown. Yet I bet being a 550MHZ system does really have a say in that where you probably can not too efficiently trap it.