All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Milkman0
join:2011-03-10
Brooksville, FL

Milkman0

Has anyone noticed more mail getting by the BHN spam filter?

Just wondering if it is just me, but in the last 3 months, seems that more and more has trickled in.
ispalten
join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL

ispalten

said by Milkman0:

Just wondering if it is just me, but in the last 3 months, seems that more and more has trickled in.

Trickled is the correct word, maybe 3 or 4 a week recently.

Not surprising as spammer's learn how to play the system and switch servers often.

However when I compare the number that get through to the JUNK folder RR creates for me on the webmail, it is and always has been low what escapes their spam filters. More bothersome to me are the legit ones they put into junk. Usually more of the these than escape the filters.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Milkman0

Premium Member

to Milkman0
There is a fine and imperfect line when it comes to spam handling and it will never be anywhere close to perfect (until there is a death sentence placed on spammers). Your best spam filter is your delete button.
ispalten
Clermont, FL

ispalten

said by BHNtechXpert:

There is a fine and imperfect line when it comes to spam handling and it will never be anywhere close to perfect (until there is a death sentence placed on spammers). Your best spam filter is your delete button.

Actually I've been sending the Spam to SPAMCOP (»www.spamcop.net/). Most of the time I get nothing but satisfaction of reporting them. A few times I have gotten responses of thank you from the places the reports go to and that they have been removed.

Interesting results from SpamCop after they 'trace' who to send reports too as well. Many are not in the US but eastern European areas.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Milkman0

Premium Member

to Milkman0
Spam sends the notices to the contacts registered to each domain and host....reality is that most of those mailboxes are nothing more than unread trashbins. If it makes you feel better fine but don't expect a ton of results there.

Once in a while you will get results but mostly you are helping spamcop build their database and only if they receive enough.

Milkman0
join:2011-03-10
Brooksville, FL

Milkman0 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

until there is a death sentence placed on spammers

I'm game. How do we make this happen?
ispalten
Clermont, FL

ispalten to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

Spam sends the notices to the contacts registered to each domain and host....reality is that most of those mailboxes are nothing more than unread trashbins. If it makes you feel better fine but don't expect a ton of results there.

Once in a while you will get results but mostly you are helping spamcop build their database and only if they receive enough.

Gary, SpamCop doesn't even send out maybe 30% of what I send. They got to 'themselves', a mailbox for them I think to build some statistical data. Yahoo spam seems to go there.

If nothing more it does allow them to build a better black filter.

telijah
Premium Member
join:2013-04-22
Brandon, FL

telijah

Premium Member

I've been wondering for oh, the last like 5 years, about just exactly how profitable is it still for email spammers? I don't mean the scammers, although thats a blurry line, but genuine spammers just running marketing campaigns?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Milkman0

Premium Member

to Milkman0
Even if you get a 1% hit rate it's profitable...

telijah
Premium Member
join:2013-04-22
Brandon, FL

telijah

Premium Member

This must be true as I am sure there is minimal cost difference in sending 1,000 emails to 65,156,951,654,981,619,418,594,894,794,564 emails.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Milkman0

Premium Member

to Milkman0
yup
ispalten
Clermont, FL

ispalten to telijah

to telijah
said by telijah:

I've been wondering for oh, the last like 5 years, about just exactly how profitable is it still for email spammers? I don't mean the scammers, although thats a blurry line, but genuine spammers just running marketing campaigns?

I'd think it has to be profitable otherwise why do it?

Cost of sending something is probably very little. One person taking the 'bait' might be all profit too.

I continually get e-mails from friends that get hacked for some sort of drugs to buy. Doesn't have to be sent by a spammer now either.

Some might even infect machines and have them send it without the user knowing it, like the hacked ones I get from people that have my e-mail address vs. using either their own e-mail sending address to avoid black-lists.