spc
Search similar:

uniqs

matterhorn
@wideopenwest.com

matterhorn

Anon

Gigabyte fiber in my neighborhood?

Two door to door salesmen came to my door. "Hey, have you heard about the work AT&T has on done on the lines in your area?" "No, I'm rather busy right now." "They've brought gigabyte fiber to your neighborhood and that'll allow for super fast Internet and TV!" [I stare blankly at them in a bid to get them to leave. It's not working, so I turn away and start shutting the door.] "Take this flyer!" (It's a list of TV channel guide, with a big $29 on top).

How much of this is marketing, and how much is this AT&T actually improving their service? I don't think their website has been updated as it only shows 12 Mbps at my address. I personally find AT&T to be as bad as airlines and banks in customer service, but if they are offering gigabyte Internet I'll take it. This is in Columbus, OH.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One

Premium Member

No such thing as gigabyte fiber. What they meant was gigabit. Most likely what they're talking about is deploying U-verse (fiber to the VRAD) in your neighborhood.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to matterhorn

Premium Member

to matterhorn
It's almost entirely marketing. Around here they ran a 1 gigabit fiber to the central office and called it Uverse. In a lot of places the 1 gigabit fiber goes to a box somewhere in the neighborhood so the speeds are faster (the length of copper between that box and your house is shorter) and they offer TV service over it. Both use some form of xDSL to get from where the fiber stops to your house. Since they brought the fiber "to your neighborhood" and are offering TV, you have the latter.

/M

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to matterhorn

to matterhorn
said by matterhorn :

Two door to door salesmen came to my door. "Hey, have you heard about the work AT&T has on done on the lines in your area?" "No, I'm rather busy right now." "They've brought gigabyte fiber to your neighborhood and that'll allow for super fast Internet and TV!" [I stare blankly at them in a bid to get them to leave. It's not working, so I turn away and start shutting the door.] "Take this flyer!" (It's a list of TV channel guide, with a big $29 on top).

How much of this is marketing, and how much is this AT&T actually improving their service? I don't think their website has been updated as it only shows 12 Mbps at my address. I personally find AT&T to be as bad as airlines and banks in customer service, but if they are offering gigabyte Internet I'll take it. This is in Columbus, OH.

getting sick of having door to door, mail, calls about Uverse. I haven't subscribed by now you would think they would get the hint not interested I can count at least 5 or 6 door to door sales people since it launched in 2008. I am also tired of them lying about how cable doesn't have the capacity lol! They always try to tell me that the cable company can't compete because they aren't fiber lol! I think At&t needs to go through the wringer that the cable companies have for touting advanced fiber network lol!