All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
rdsport323
join:2001-05-28
Irvine, CA

rdsport323

[Carpentry] Is there a single stud or two studs in this area?

Click for full size
I'm trying to determine if there is only 1 stud or two studs in this gap between my two windows. I think there might be two studs like | | this, and so I don't want to drill directly into the middle if that were the case. But if there was only 1 stud, then I guess drilling in the middle would be safe.

Using a stud finder doesn't really help in such a small space, and I plan on mounting an articulating mount that mounts to 1 stud with 3 lag bolts vertically. So should I drill in the middle or drill a little to the side?
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

1 recommendation

iknow_t

[Carpentry] Re: Is there a single stud or two studs in this area?

there would have to be 2, one for each window to attach to.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

1 edit

1 recommendation

pende_tim to rdsport323

Premium Member

to rdsport323
One trick that has worked for me on sheetrock is to probe the area with a needle in an inconspicuous area. (A paper clip would also work). Press it firmly & directly with a little twisting into the area in question. If it pushes through past 5/8" you are in open wall. If it stops on something solid, you probably are on a stud.

When you are done there is a small blemish on the wall but typically this can be filled with a dab of something. The key is to choose a spot low on the wall that is not too noticeable but high enough to be past any sill plates. Directly on top of moldings is usually a good spot.

In this case there would be a 2x4 at each window edge and depending on how the header was supported, there may be double 2x4 supporting each end of the header so you could have up to 4- 2x4s in that area. Since you only have 5", there are probably 3 there.
dbamber
join:2003-02-07
Bandon, OR

dbamber to rdsport323

to rdsport323
There should be 3 studs here. A "king" stud in the middle,and 2 jack" studs on the outside. The outside "jack" studs will be supporting a header for the windows with a 1 1/2 thick bearing for header. The center or "king" stud is called that, as it goes from the bottom shoe or plate continuously to the top plate in the wall. A jack stud is not continuos as it is cut to support a header for a door or window, and a bottom support for a window. You would be best to try drilling your mounting holes in the center.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

You sure? It looks too thin to me for 3x 2x4's plus drywall.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya to rdsport323

MVM

to rdsport323
It's probably nothing but wood in that space.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

shdesigns to mackey

Premium Member

to mackey
Yes, 2 2x4's in the center = 3"
Two window jambs at 3/4 = 1.5
Total 4.5"

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to rdsport323

Premium Member

to rdsport323
I'm voting for all wood too.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to shdesigns

Premium Member

to shdesigns
said by shdesigns:

Yes, 2 2x4's in the center = 3"

I'm confused about how you worded your response. You're saying I'm right and it's too narrow to have 3 2x4's? 1.5+1.5+1.5=4.5" plus one layer of 3/8" drywall on each side is 5.25" Also, I do not see a jamb in that pic and am assuming it's like my current apartment and it's just an outside corner on the wall (just drywall wrapped with a corner bead and the window is recessed).

/M
rdsport323
Irvine, CA

rdsport323 to mityfowl

to mityfowl
said by mityfowl:

I'm voting for all wood too.

Hm, that sounds bad.. what happens if it is "all wood". Or is that a good thing?

Well when I run my stud finder under the windows where its like solid, in that area between the two windows, the stud finder buzzes about 2-3 times... But is the area under the divider the same as the divider itself?

And is it safe to drill into the side ones? or the middle ones. I guess I will try the paperclip trick that mackey suggested, and report back.

thanks everyone for your responses.
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr to rdsport323

Premium Member

to rdsport323
There could also be a continuous header spanning both windows with queen studs for each window. It would be structurally better this way, but figure solid wood between openings ...
rdsport323
Irvine, CA

rdsport323

Okay, I used a paperclip to probe around, and pushing in, it does stop at 5/8" but, that doesn't really answer how many studs are in there. Should I poke more holes to see if theres any gaps?

I also read that it might be better to drill the pilot hole at an angle, like for example, angled either towards the center or angled inwards as opposed to drilling straight, so that the bolt can catch more of the wood? Is that something worth doing?

pende_tim
Premium Member
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim

Premium Member

Drill straight. Looks a lot better and difference in strength is not that much.

If you poked in the center and hit wood, then there are 3 studs in that space and they are close together. See the math that shdesign did above.

What is the bolt pattern you need to mount this thing to the wall?

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

1 recommendation

garys_2k to rdsport323

Premium Member

to rdsport323
I think there are two studs, side by side, and drilling into the very center will likely be a weak attachment because you'll be drilling in between them.

The only way to really tell would be to open up a small bit and look. If you see plain wood, drill there. If you see the groove between two pieces, drill somewhere else. Patch the spot you had to open to check.

mityfowl
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

1 edit

mityfowl to rdsport323

Premium Member

to rdsport323
a small long bit every 1/2" will tell the story.

No big deal then just patch and maybe paint.

And you almost can't have too much wood.

Garys got it "nailed"
mityfowl

mityfowl to rdsport323

Premium Member

to rdsport323
It really doesn't matter.

Just drill and find the wood.

Do your business and be done.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to rdsport323

Premium Member

to rdsport323
It's all wood!

pende_tim
Premium Member
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to mityfowl

Premium Member

to mityfowl
said by mityfowl:

a small long bit every 1/2" will tell the story.

No big deal then just patch and maybe paint.

He did that with a paper clip and found wood.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

1 recommendation

robbin to rdsport323

Mod

to rdsport323
I think there are two studs with 1/2" plywood or similar between them. Add a 1/2" of Sheetrock on each side and that fits with the measurement.
rdsport323
Irvine, CA

rdsport323

Update:

My lag bolt, snapped and broke off and is now stuck in the wall... FML. I couldn't drill very deep for the pilot hole. My drill would just get stuck maybe 2"s in, so I just thought that would be enough but I guess not.

UGH

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

That happens when the pilot hole is not as deep as the lag bolt is long. Perhaps your lag bolt was too long. You don't need over 2" IMO.
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

Critsmcgee

said by Jack_in_VA:

That happens when the pilot hole is not as deep as the lag bolt is long. Perhaps your lag bolt was too long. You don't need over 2" IMO.

Could be too small size of a pilot hole as well. Too much torque and snap.

pende_tim
Premium Member
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to rdsport323

Premium Member

to rdsport323
said by rdsport323:

My lag bolt, snapped and broke off and is now stuck in the wall

Well now we know for sure the wall is solid there.

Is there enough exposed that you can back it out with a small pipe wrench or pliers if you have a VERY strong grip?

If not, try cutting it off even with the wall and mounting the plate a little above the broken bolt.

This time when you drill the pilot hole, make sure it is's diameter is large enough to remove wood almost to the root of the threads on the lag bolt. Leaving excess wood in place does not add to the pull out strength but does make lagging a tricky affair, as you found out. Also, depending on what you are hanging, you may not need to go much past 2.5" or so. A little bar soap on the threads also helps thread into wood.

When you turn the new bolt, if you take your time, you should be able to feel when the bolt is under stress and getting ready to snap.

mityfowl
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to rdsport323

Premium Member

to rdsport323

Re: [Carpentry] Is there a single stud or two studs in this area?

So I guess it was all wood.

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium Member
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

stevek1949 to rdsport323

Premium Member

to rdsport323

Re: [Carpentry] Re: Is there a single stud or two studs in this area?

said by rdsport323:

Update:

My lag bolt, snapped and broke off and is now stuck in the wall... FML. I couldn't drill very deep for the pilot hole. My drill would just get stuck maybe 2"s in, so I just thought that would be enough but I guess not.

UGH

This:

»www.lowes.com/pd_232656- ··· =1065101

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by stevek1949:

said by rdsport323:

Update:

UGH

This:

»www.lowes.com/pd_232656- ··· =1065101

You do realize that a hole in the center of the broken off lag bolt has to be drilled in sufficient size to use the smallest of the extractors in your post? Good luck

mityfowl
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

2 recommendations

mityfowl to rdsport323

Premium Member

to rdsport323

Re: [Carpentry] Is there a single stud or two studs in this area?

I guess you have learned not to drive a cheap ass Chinese 3/8" bolt into a 1/8 pilot hole?

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

1 recommendation

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by mityfowl:

I guess you have learned not to drive a cheap ass Chinese 3/8" bolt into a 1/8 pilot hole?

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 etc......

The Chinese have learned and are expert to make cheap inferior products they can make look like the real quality item.

mityfowl
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to rdsport323

Premium Member

to rdsport323
If it was me I would just slightly re-orient the whole project up down right or left a little and drill a bigger hole and buy a few bolts.

But that's me.

pende_tim
Premium Member
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim

Premium Member

said by mityfowl:

slightly re-orient the whole project up down right or left a little and drill a bigger hole

Depends where on the threads the stud broke and how ugly the broken stud is sticking out of the wall. If it snapped off flush, good to go; if 2" is sticking out,,,,?