spc
Search similar:

uniqs

cb14
join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL

cb14

[Equipment] Obi 202 not working after update- cannot reach Obihai

After making the mistake of updating my 202 with the new firmware, i cannot receive any incoming calls to SIP providers.
At the same time I cannot open a support ticket with Obihai because suddenly i cannot open any security code icon needed to complete a support ticket from 4 browser.
I re routed all my calls to my cell phone but it is still a tremendous problem. Any ideas or help?
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

EDIT: Upon rereading, I see you've already found the thread on the OBiTALK forum.

There's a thread on the OBiTALK forum, with a proposed solution. It apparently worked for one user, but not another. »www.obitalk.com/forum/in ··· c=7361.0

If you wish to contact Obihai, you can email support AT obihai DOT com. Place your 9-digit OBi number in the subject line.

If you have some time to tinker, it might be worth it to take a look at the debug/syslog info using Wireshark.

m.
iamhere
join:2013-01-26
canada

iamhere to cb14

to cb14
FYI, I applied the update yesterday and just checked... I am still able to receive calls.

cb14
Miami Beach, FL

cb14 to Mango

to Mango
said by Mango:

EDIT: Upon rereading, I see you've already found the thread on the OBiTALK forum.

There's a thread on the OBiTALK forum, with a proposed solution. It apparently worked for one user, but not another. »www.obitalk.com/forum/in ··· c=7361.0

If you wish to contact Obihai, you can email support AT obihai DOT com. Place your 9-digit OBi number in the subject line.

If you have some time to tinker, it might be worth it to take a look at the debug/syslog info using Wireshark.

m.

That solution did not work for me. Interestingly, Google voice calls do come through, unfortunately I already ported one of the 2 DID's away.

I finally was able to submit a ticket using the method you described which BTW Obihai posted on their forum a couple of hours ago.

Unfortunately, tinkering t might be a problem, lot of unpleasant issues going one this one one of them.
A good lesson: Do not do any Obi updates aka do not fix what ain't broke.
cb14

cb14

Additionally, I cannot make any outgoing international calls with Localphone nor access my voice mail box, however I can still make outgoing domestic calls with Locaphone and both outgoing and international with Calllcentric.
twinclouds
join:2010-06-12
San Diego, CA

twinclouds

said by cb14:

Additionally, I cannot make any outgoing international calls with Localphone nor access my voice mail box, however I can still make outgoing domestic calls with Locaphone and both outgoing and international with Calllcentric.

Are you sure this is not a dialplan setting issue for localphone?

cb14
Miami Beach, FL

cb14

It has nothing to do with Localphone. It worked perfectly fine till the moment I made that unfortunate update.
fizikz
join:2012-09-06

fizikz to cb14

to cb14
My sympathies... Is there still no way to downgrade the firmware? I'm finally happy with 3.0.1 (Build: 4269), and thanks to incidents like this I won't be upgrading anytime soon.

cb14
Miami Beach, FL

cb14

said by fizikz:

My sympathies... Is there still no way to downgrade the firmware? I'm finally happy with 3.0.1 (Build: 4269), and thanks to incidents like this I won't be upgrading anytime soon.

If I knew how to "downgrade" that would have been the very first thing I would have done.
twinclouds
San Diego, CA

twinclouds to cb14

to cb14
said by cb14:

It has nothing to do with Localphone. It worked perfectly fine till the moment I made that unfortunate update.

That was what I meant. It's not the problem of localphone but could be your obi202's dialplan for the localphone port. It is very likely the dialplan is changed when you update the firmware.
Another way to check is to swap the port of local phone and callcentric but nothing else. Will your localphone work fine but the problem goes to callcentric?

cb14
Miami Beach, FL

cb14

I deleted the device and did a factory reset, re- registered the device and tried to configure the providers, which was not possible for over an hour at all and now it worked, I assigned different ports for the providers but the result is even worse than before. GV works, Callcentric does not work at all and Localphone only works for outgoing domestic calls.LP voice mail not accessible.
No reply from Obihai.
I will wait till Monday and then call American express and exercise the extended warranty.
twinclouds
San Diego, CA

twinclouds

Thanks. Looks like we should not update the firmware of obi devices at all. This also make me nervous. Will obi provide support to what they sale in the future?
Hope this one has a happy ending . Please keep us posted.
obiliving
join:2011-01-22

1 edit

obiliving

Hi, I am a member of the Obihai tech support staff.

The OBi latest release has a new option to help fight against a problem commonly known as "ghost calls", where a hacker scans for SIP devices by sending random SIP INVITE messages. This new option will enforce that the SIP INVITE received by the OBi must have the request userid matching the SIP account ID configured on the device. Older firmware does not enforce this behavior by default, but the new firmware does. Most service providers should be compliant with this behavior, so that it will be a lot harder for a hacker to scan for SIP devices.

However I suspect this is the cause of your current problem with localphone.
To get back the old behavior, you can perform this simple step on the OBi:

1. Open your OBi device web page (From web browser, enter IP address of the OBi. You can dial ***1 to listen to the IP address of your OBi
2. Navigate to the SPx Service Page (x=1,2,3,4), and uncheck this option: X_EnforceRequestUserID
3. Submit the change (press the submit button on the page), and reboot the device (press the reboot button on the page).
RonR
join:2003-10-10
Ash Flat, AR

RonR to twinclouds

to twinclouds
said by twinclouds:

Will obi provide support to what they sale in the future?

If the past two years is any indication, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

The solution to the current problem is:

Voice Services -> SPx Service -> X_EnforceRequestUserID : (unchecked)

Note: Obihai forgot to add this new option (which is checked by default) to the OBiTALK web portal, so it's only accessible by directly accessing the device.

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

1 edit

Trev to obiliving

Premium Member

to obiliving
said by obiliving:

Most service providers should be compliant with this behavior

Interesting. After seeing this thread I upgraded a unit in my lab to test. It's refusing calls with 486 Busy. I am now setting up a syslog capture to see if it explains what the issue is.

The call is addressed to the same value that's in AuthUserName.

Update: It seems my test unit had a failure and the phone 1 port was permanently showing as "off hook" even without a phone connected. When testing with a different unit, they ring through as expected.
RonR
Ash Flat, AR

RonR to obiliving

to obiliving
said by obiliving:

Most service providers should be compliant with this behavior...

Obviously there are many who are not OR there is a flaw in the enforcement logic.

Making this option default to ENABLED was a terrible idea in light of the fact that Obihai never provides any release notes or documentation with firmware updates.
Mango
Premium Member
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

+1
obiliving
join:2011-01-22

obiliving to Trev

to Trev
A 404 should normally be returned if the INVITE was rejected because of request userid mismatch. But if you can get a SIP trace, please share with our support staff and we can get to the root cause of that.

cb14
Miami Beach, FL

cb14 to obiliving

to obiliving
said by obiliving:

Hi, I am a member of the Obihai tech support staff.

The OBi latest release has a new option to help fight against a problem commonly known as "ghost calls", where a hacker scans for SIP devices by sending random SIP INVITE messages. This new option will enforce that the SIP INVITE received by the OBi must have the request userid matching the SIP account ID configured on the device. Older firmware does not enforce this behavior by default, but the new firmware does. Most service providers should be compliant with this behavior, so that it will be a lot harder for a hacker to scan for SIP devices.

However I suspect this is the cause of your current problem with localphone.
To get back the old behavior, you can perform this simple step on the OBi:

1. Open your OBi device web page (From web browser, enter IP address of the OBi. You can dial ***1 to listen to the IP address of your OBi
2. Navigate to the SPx Service Page (x=1,2,3,4), and uncheck this option: X_ForeceRequestUserID
3. Submit the change (press the submit button on the page), and reboot the device (press the reboot button on the page).

Actually, i have the same problem with callcentric plus i cannot get to the Obi device web page- i get error messages. In order to make sure that i amj not just an exhauset idiot , i just openned the same way the web page of my internet gateway without problems. So what now?
Mango
Premium Member
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

Please let us know the error message.

cb14
Miami Beach, FL

cb14

link broken not found
RonR
Ash Flat, AR

RonR to cb14

to cb14
said by cb14:

i cannot get to the Obi device web page- i get error messages.

By default, an OBi202 has web access via the WAN port disabled. You can enable it from your phone with option 30 after ***0.

cb14
Miami Beach, FL

cb14

said by RonR:

said by cb14:

i cannot get to the Obi device web page- i get error messages.

By default, an OBi202 has web access via the WAN port disabled. You can enable it from your phone with option 30 after ***0.

What is the value you have to enter after getting to the option 30?
RonR
Ash Flat, AR

RonR

1 = enable
0 = disable
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to RonR

Premium Member

to RonR
said by RonR:

Making this option default to ENABLED was a terrible idea in light of the fact that Obihai never provides any release notes or documentation with firmware updates.

Agreed. Setting this new option to "ON" by default is a bad idea, which will inevitably cause a lot of trouble to many, many unsuspecting users. It's going to happen even if OBIHAI were provided release notes and documentation. And second. Folks may use OBi devices to get direct incoming calls from different sources and not from just one or couple of providers. In this case that option should always be "OFF" for them... Anybody thought of them a bit before enforcing the option by default?..
RonR
Ash Flat, AR

RonR

With this option enabled, incoming calls from Asterisk 11.6.0 are blocked, so it's hard to believe this new feature was tested very thoroughly before being unleashed.

cb14
Miami Beach, FL

cb14 to RonR

to RonR
Thanks Ron
I did everything and unchecked and rebooted and i am still nowhere. providers are configured so I do not know what is going on.

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

Trev to obiliving

Premium Member

to obiliving
said by obiliving:

A 404 should normally be returned if the INVITE was rejected because of request userid mismatch. But if you can get a SIP trace, please share with our support staff and we can get to the root cause of that.

You're right. It seems my bench unit failed and has an unrelated hardware problem.

Another unit seems to work fine without needing to change any configuration options.

cb14
Miami Beach, FL

cb14

It looks like this update completely messed up my device.
RonR
Ash Flat, AR

RonR to cb14

to cb14
said by cb14:

Thanks Ron
I did everything and unchecked and rebooted and i am still nowhere.

Did you go back into the OBi and verify that X_EnforceRequestUserID is still unchecked. If you didn't disable Auto Provisioning and Obihai has updated the OBiTALK web portal with this setting, the OBiTALK web portal will undo your change.