uniqs
share rss forum feed

max8911
Premium
join:2006-10-21
Riverside, CA

4 edits

Municipal Wireless SmartRiverside connectivity Questions and Security

Hello everyone, I wanted to first ask some basic questions about Connectivity and Security on Riversides Muni-wireless connection. First, of all Wireless Connections are rather new to me due to my experiences with DSL from ATT and then U-verse internet. I still have basic Ethernet connections to the NanostationM2 wireless modem then its wireless to the access point(?) on the light pole about 2 blocks away. USinternet took over the wireless network from ATT in the past so now tech support is USInternet located back east.
This morning I was having connection problems galore. I was not sure what was causing the problems and surmised it was the weather?? Upon further inspection I noticed a ethernet cable had come loose a bit and that fixed my problems for a while. While goggling for a fix I found information about Razor's Game Booster program and gave that a whirl. And I believe that may have broke my connection for a while till I used the network diagnostics for IE8 to fix it (temporarily) RGB may have turned off certain services that are needed for wireless connections? This is related to my first question, what services are needed for wireless connections or even wired connections (as the connections to the modem are wired and then the NanostationM2 converts to wireless at the modem outside). The IE8 network Diagnostics fix was short lived and then I suspected I had no DNS servers listed in the LA Connections-Status-Support-Details page so I inserted them where needed and that helped me get back online to post this thread.

So now here are the questions listed in order:
1 What happened to my internet connection was it the rainy weather? (power was lost while I put it inside during a long downpour) Or was it due to some other cause on "their end" DNS servers losing it internet connections affected by the weather? I think sometimes DNS servers can be changed for certain ISP but Ithink I am stuck with USInternets DNS servers
2 What do need to check when these things are going on lost connections? Tech support costs 30.00 for them to help me with "my" problems.
3 Which services have to be turned on or set to automatic for wired (XP Home) network connectivity?
4 Are there any guides/programs on the net to help me diagnose the connection problems other than MS's network connection diagnostics?
5 would updating the NIC driver be a possible solution? If so where do I look for a driver for such an old NIC(nvidia)
6 I am on the verge of putting this PC out to pasture as a server or a router(with a bit more power) I have two other PCs with P45 chipsets at the moment.

System Specs:

Nvidia Nforce 10/100/1000 mbps ethernet part of the Nforce4 chipset

Mainboard Model M2N-E SLI (0x00000247 - 0x02B2F61C)

Chipset
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Northbridge NVIDIA nForce4 rev. A4
Southbridge NVIDIA nForce4 MCP rev. F1
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width x16
PCI-E Max Link Width x16
Memory Type DDR2
Memory Size 2 GBytes
Channels Single
Memory Frequency 402.1 MHz (CPU/5)
CAS# latency (CL) 5.0
RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD) 5
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 5
Cycle Time (tRAS) 18
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 24
Command Rate (CR) 2T

Memory SPD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIMM # 1
SMBus address 0x50
Memory type DDR2
Module format Regular UDIMM
Manufacturer (ID) Crucial Technology (7F7F7F7F7F9BFFFF)
Size 1024 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC2-6400 (400 MHz)
Part number BL12864AA80A.8FH5
Serial number XXXXXXXXXXX
Manufacturing date Week 165/Year 165
Number of banks 1
Data width 64 bits
Correction None
Nominal Voltage 1.80 Volts
EPP yes (2 profiles)
XMP no
AMP no
JEDEC timings table CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC @ frequency
JEDEC #1 4.0-5-5-15-20 @ 333 MHz
JEDEC #2 5.0-5-5-18-23 @ 400 MHz
EPP timings table CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC-CR @ frequency (voltage)
EPP profile #1 (full) 4.0-4-4-12-24-2T @ 400 MHz (2.000 Volts)
EPP profile #2 (full) 5.0-5-5-15-30-2T @ 500 MHz (2.000 Volts)

DIMM # 2
SMBus address 0x52
Memory type DDR2
Module format Regular UDIMM
Manufacturer (ID) Crucial Technology (7F7F7F7F7F9BFFFF)
Size 1024 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC2-6400 (400 MHz)
Part number BL12864AA80A.8FH5
Serial number 7E15FA04
Manufacturing date Week 165/Year 165
Number of banks 1
Data width 64 bits
Correction None
Nominal Voltage 1.80 Volts
EPP yes (2 profiles)
XMP no
AMP no
JEDEC timings table CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC @ frequency
JEDEC #1 4.0-5-5-15-20 @ 333 MHz
JEDEC #2 5.0-5-5-18-23 @ 400 MHz
EPP timings table CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC-CR @ frequency (voltage)
EPP profile #1 (full) 4.0-4-4-12-24-2T @ 400 MHz (2.000 Volts)
EPP profile #2 (full) 5.0-5-5-15-30-2T @ 500 MHz (2.000 Volts)

Display adapter 0
Name NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
Revision A1