SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

How can I get a skunk to relocate

Last night I woke up to a BAD odor. Now it seems to be in the air inside the house. Looking around outside I found this.

I think it's under the deck (only about a foot off the ground). Any way to get him to move..?

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 recommendation

Most importantly ensure that there are no food sources on or near your property (pet food, trash cans, etc.).

Bright lights might be an additional discouragement for nocturnal animals but I don't know how effective they are.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to SparkChaser
Trap it then relocate it.
»www.amazon.com/Havahart-1084-One···0MV5V6A/
--
"Trust Me I'm The Doctor!" -Doctor Who

CmmTch

join:2002-08-10
High Ridge, MO

1 recommendation

reply to SparkChaser
For myself I wouldn't consider this a DIY job, I'd be willing to pay to have it trapped and relocated. A person could probably do it, but I'd rather not screw around with a Skunk.

Tex
Premium
join:2012-10-20
kudos:2
reply to SparkChaser
Don't let the dogs out! Believe me, I learned the hard way.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
LOL.

I bet the dog did too. I had one that almost wore it's nose off dragging in in the dirt trying to rub the smell off.

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 recommendations

reply to CmmTch
said by CmmTch:

For myself I wouldn't consider this a DIY job, I'd be willing to pay to have it trapped and relocated. A person could probably do it, but I'd rather not screw around with a Skunk.

Agree, I trap chipmunks and an occasional squirrel but I don't want to tangle with a skunk. If it's still around after the latest snow, I call someone. In the mean time I'll try making night look like day light out there.
--
"There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the latter ignorance." - Hippocrates

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Critsmcgee

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to CmmTch
said by CmmTch:

The only downside to calling pros is they have to kill the animal most of the time. It's typically illegal to relocate the animal as it might have a disease so relocating it will spread the disease. As a homeowner you can pretend you don't know that. With any lucky PA isn't one of those states.
--

dmagerl
Premium
join:2007-08-06
Woodstock, IL
reply to SparkChaser
Here in Illinois, due to rabies and dystemper, skunks cant be relocated. A trapped skunk must be killed.

A couple years ago, I was in the same situation, almost gassed out of my house. A skunk had taken up residence under the slab.

Nothing, and I mean nothing, lights, ammonia, mothballs, loud music, could drive that guy out.

So as some other poster said, suck it up and call a professional. Mine was too smart to go into a live trap, they used a kill trap at the entrance to the den which, of course, caused one last act of defiance as he died that just about drove me out of the house.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

2 recommendations

reply to Critsmcgee
said by Critsmcgee:

he only downside to calling pros is they have to kill the animal most of the time.

In the case of a skunk, this isn't a downside.
--

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
reply to SparkChaser
said by SparkChaser:

Any way to get him to move..?

Get or borrow a device with a small gas engine. Get a section of flexible metal pipe and direct the exhaust into the burrow. Let the engine run for about 30 Minutes. Skunk will succumb to carbon monoxide poisoning. A dairy farmer I knew used this method many years ago, to dispose of woodchucks effectively.

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

1 recommendation

reply to SparkChaser
My long dead terrier showed those skunks how to relocate.

It might have taken a year for "us" all to forget.

I still luv that bitch

RIP Shamrock

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Mr Matt
said by Mr Matt:

Get or borrow a device with a small gas engine. Get a section of flexible metal pipe and direct the exhaust into the burrow. Let the engine run for about 30 Minutes. Skunk will succumb to carbon monoxide poisoning.

I actually thought of that but you can't get under the deck to remove the carcass. I might have to pull up the planks to get the little ba$tard out.

--
"There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the latter ignorance." - Hippocrates

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans

join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON
reply to SparkChaser
If you know someone with a fox(or can find someone), using fox urine soaked rags will get rid of it in most cases. Though I know back before they had laws against it and so on, most people used mothballs.

Critsmcgee

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Cho Baka
said by Cho Baka:

said by Critsmcgee:

he only downside to calling pros is they have to kill the animal most of the time.

In the case of a skunk, this isn't a downside.

I'd be outside with my .22 since it's legal for me to shot them on my property.
--

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
Legal or not that's what I'd do.

But 1 shot 1 kill.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to SparkChaser
said by SparkChaser:

Agree, I trap chipmunks and an occasional squirrel but I don't want to tangle with a skunk.

The spray proof traps are supposed to make it pretty easy.

»www.amazon.com/Unknown-ADC6-Spra···033HQDLW

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
there
reply to Critsmcgee
I've often wondered what one does (within city limits) once they have captured a skunk in a hav-a-heart type trap.

Firearms are a no-go, so what does that leave? crossbows?
--

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Cho Baka:

I've often wondered what one does (within city limits) once they have captured a skunk in a hav-a-heart type trap.

Maybe that's where the hose to the exhaust works

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
there
I was worried that sneaking up on a skunk in a trap is a bad idea.
--

Downer

@mycingular.net
reply to Cho Baka
Drowning by trash can worked swimmingly when I lived in town.

Critsmcgee

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Cho Baka
said by Cho Baka:

Typically you'd drown it or put it in an enclosed area (trash bag) with an animal smoke bomb so the CO could do the work.

»www.amazon.com/The-Giant-Destroy···00BQLWCS
--

gaforces
United We Stand, Divided We Fall

join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA
reply to SparkChaser
We used to have that problem. I removed the deck and replaced it with paver stones.
Trapping only works temporarily, and it's expensive cause you have to hire a licensed animal control person to trap and then etherize them. When their dying they drop their whole stink load, it's very bad.
--
Let them eat FIBER!

eakes

join:2000-10-20
Richardson, TX
reply to SparkChaser
Moth balls. Place some just inside the entrance to his 'home'. Skunks do not like the smell and will leave. (be sure he isn't at 'home' when you do this!) Once gone block the entrance to prevent future problems.

The moth balls can be placed inside a plastic container with a number of small holes punched into the container if you are concerned about other animals trying to eat them.

Floid

join:2002-02-11
Ridgefield, CT

1 recommendation

reply to SparkChaser
Before resorting to drastic methods (hey, it's winter, the critter's just trying to keep warm - and the aroma is only because something else like a cat or such already harassed it), try putting a radio going in the area it's probably residing in (say, on top of the deck tipped over with the speaker aimed down). If you're worried about a 'reaction' or not sure if it's in residence, head out and inch the volume up a bit every hour or so. Then keep it going for a few days.

Of course, if you can get down there without too much risk, or there's a basement window that lights the area, sticking a shop-light (with a LED bulb, no sense burning down the deck..) or just leaving the basement lights on for a few days might solve your problem... or be a good adjunct to the radio.

(Bit of a skunk fan; aside from the aroma and generic small-critter risk for rabies all they do is trundle around and eat grubs. So treating your yard and under-deck area for grubs might also help reduce its attractiveness in the long-term... from experience, it does seem like beetles do treat decks - especially low ones - as one big rock to breed under.)

P.S.: If it has already gone off under the deck, it's probably not going to want to be there either unless conditions are bad - it's just a defense mechanism and I don't think they find it particularly pleasant either, especially since it also indicates there was danger at some point...

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
.22 short

The Shadow
Premium
join:2013-04-18
kudos:5
Raise his rent.

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX

1 edit
reply to SparkChaser
Anything short of death and that sucker will return.

The earth has plenty of rodents.
Let 'em freeze up, remove.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to SparkChaser
Sorry to say but she may have gone under your deck to have her babies this spring ( if spring ever comes this year ).

So you want to evict her sooner rather than later.

" Skunks become sexually mature at around nine months old and will produce a litter by the time they are one year old. Mating season begins in February and goes though March. More skunks get hit and killed on the roads during this time of year than any other. You may notice two skunks close together on the roads because of a mating chase that ends abruptly.

Gestation is approximately 63 days, starting baby season in May. Female skunks are capable of a delayed implantation should they choose to mate sooner, this way the young are not born too early. "

LOL.. I hear they make very good pets.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by pende_tim:

Sorry to say but she may have gone under your deck to have her babies this spring ( if spring ever comes this year ).

So you want to evict her sooner rather than later.

" Skunks become sexually mature at around nine months old and will produce a litter by the time they are one year old. Mating season begins in February and goes though March. More skunks get hit and killed on the roads during this time of year than any other. You may notice two skunks close together on the roads because of a mating chase that ends abruptly.

Gestation is approximately 63 days, starting baby season in May. Female skunks are capable of a delayed implantation should they choose to mate sooner, this way the young are not born too early. "

LOL.. I hear they make very good pets.

Oh no! That's all I need. The previous day I did see one as road kill. I'm going to have to get an expert to make sure.

Thanks for the info
--