Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

1 recommendation

ArthurS to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru

[Carpentry] Re: How to fix particleboard?

I'd say a good portion of that 61 lbs is the weight of the drivers. A typical 15 inch two way with plywood enclosure can be as heavy as 75-80 lbs! That's why you see a lot of polycarbonate cases for portable speakers these days!!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Forgot to post these last night
dick white
Premium Member
join:2000-03-24
Springfield, VA

dick white to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
Ok, good pics, now we can see what needs to be done. My recommendation: tee nuts set in epoxy. Gently drill all the holes out to a sufficient diameter to accept a small tee nut from the inside of the speaker. Many tee nuts have a few "spikes" that sink into the surrounding wood so they don't turn as the screw is tightened. I don't think you have the space or the structural strength of the particle board to hold such spikes so I would crush the spikes flat with pliers and then set the tee nuts in a dab of epoxy to hold them in place, but be careful you don't get any epoxy inside the threaded part of the tee nut. After the epoxy is set, reinstall the horn with appropriate machine screws. When installing the machine screws, add a dab of loctite to prevent the screws from vibrating loose over time. Good as new now.

dw

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

I have everything but the T-nuts and the screws and I assume the screws will be the stuff that costs the most.. I have to measure because the top part has a block of wood so one of them is longer
dick white
Premium Member
Springfield, VA

dick white to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
Get the smallest size tee nuts that will do the job, and then a 10-pack baglet (you need only 6) of the appropriate diameter/thread screw in the length needed to get through the top row with the extra board. Don't worry about the longer screws sticking out the back of the lower ones - you won't be able to see it and there is nothing else back there that matters if a screw is sticking through.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

I count 8 holes not worried about the screw sticking out on the inside I'm saying the top center hole has like a 2 inch thick wood block behind the hole

I wont do anything until tomorrow.. the Port Chester HD sucks as far as bagged T-nuts.. Norwalk is way better in that area.. they say that an outside vender restocks the bagged bolts
dick white
Premium Member
Springfield, VA

2 edits

1 recommendation

dick white to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
Yup, some of us can't count our fingers and come up with the right number . It seems HomeDespot uses outside vendors in the manner of potato chip trucks for a lot of things. At my local Despot, all the plants are provided - and maintained until sold - by an outside nursery; have seen a lady with the nursery name embroidered on her shirt hauling the sprinkler hose up and down the row. All the lumber comes from the same wholesale yard. All the bolts and screws are CrownBolt, and once I spoke to the dude in the orange apron about the appalling lack of stock and disorder of what was there, and he said there wasn't anything he could do, it was an outside vendor's job to restock the inventory and put all the bags back on the right hooks. So, feel your pain, go to the one with the better stock.

And for the 2" strip of wood on the top row, if it is real wood, you might just run longer screws through the particle board into the wood where the real wood fibers will hold the screw threads just fine. That would leave just 7 in the crapped-out particle board. Did I count that correctly?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

I think I will pick up the Mx0.7 T-nuts and cap screws
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t to ArthurS

to ArthurS
said by ArthurS:

I'd say a good portion of that 61 lbs is the weight of the drivers. A typical 15 inch two way with plywood enclosure can be as heavy as 75-80 lbs! That's why you see a lot of polycarbonate cases for portable speakers these days!!

for the cheap one's. polycarbonate is not dense enough. it would vibrate with the music. that's undesirable.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

The screw holes in the corner I might have enough so I can compress the t-nut into the wood.. the others have to be epoxed on.

ArthurS
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS to iknow_t

Premium Member

to iknow_t
said by iknow_t:

said by ArthurS:

for the cheap one's. polycarbonate is not dense enough. it would vibrate with the music. that's undesirable.

It really depends on the construction of the cabinet and how well reinforced it is. Synthetic cases have been used for professional and semi-pro portable speakers without any problem for decades (Bose, EV, JBL, to name a few). There are some processes to make it as strong and durable as Baltic Birch plywood at a fraction of the weight (think carbon fiber impregnation). Some very high end touring class sound reinforcement speakers use it without any problems, and certainly helps when faced with load limitations when flown from a stage truss.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

I know the only other plastic case speaker we have are some pevey's I remember I went to pick them up once and almost flung it up too high because it was so light.. it must be around 20 lbs at best..

I really don't care for it. The issue now is how to mount 7 of these speakers.. they are not meant to be hung and no way in the world would I mod one for it.

I can't wait to throw this trashy Roybi 9V drill away when I get my Milwaukee M18 every time you want to use it the damn battery is dead.

btw I ended up going with M6x1.0 because the M4x0.7 did not have black cap screws

ArthurS
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS

Premium Member

said by Subaru:

The issue now is how to mount 7 of these speakers.. they are not meant to be hung and no way in the world would I mod one for it.

You don't...unless you want to take on the liability yourself. Sad reality of our sue-happy world.

Keep them on speaker stands, as they were designed to do in the first place!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

You don't want to know how they were mounted before.. they sat on thick made brackets with wood screws screwed into them under the speaker.

I remember once the music being so loud one day the 20 lb pevey speaker just vibrated right off the bracket.. it was 14 ft up and I glad no one was over in that area...
Subaru

Subaru

Premium Member

I ended up pressing the T- nuts in all of them minus the area were the 2 inch block of wood is.

ArthurS
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
From the manufacturer's website:
»faq.yamaha.com/us/en/art ··· st&type=

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

I know all about it.. the whole support for the anchors are much better for a speaker meant to be hung.. I've seen them in person.. Not looking forward to do anything because I don't want to have to get on a lift to repair speakers..

I'm sure you remember all those blown speakers

ArthurS
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
If you don't have a hobby, I guess you have one now!!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Hah well I'm going to have to PM you something issue with another speaker it's a little more involved
Subaru

Subaru

Premium Member

Click for full size
Finished picture

To fit those hex cap screws I had to drill the hole larger in the tweeter flange but it was no big deal.
dick white
Premium Member
Springfield, VA

dick white to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
nice job!

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru

Looks decent.

Now THAT's a Tweeter !

So are those 15" Woofers ?

Just trying to get an idea of the overall bulk.

And are they designed to be used standing up like that, as side fill stage monitors or small house speakers ?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

They are 15's and they can be used upright and on its side as a monitor