All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

pdf
@comcast.net

pdf

Anon

[Free] A good PDF reader to replace Adobe?

Can anyone recommend a good free PDF reader (spyware free) to replace Adobe reader? Is Nitro a good and safe one, with perhaps fewer exploits than Adobe? Or maybe FoxIt reader?

Thanks for any help/tips.
whymeintrouble
Premium Member
join:2001-06-20
Naperville, IL

whymeintrouble

Premium Member

in the past I've used Foxit, have liked it alot, still use it on my desktops at home. even my android phone has it now
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

1 edit

1 recommendation

redwolfe_98 to pdf

Premium Member

to pdf
i too have used "foxit reader" for the past few years (ever since the day that adobe reader 9 was released), but foxit may be driving people back to "adobe reader" now that they have started bundling "conduit" scumware with their program..

there have been bugs, too, with the latest version(s) of "foxit reader".. i don't know if they have been fixed, or not.. i haven't installed the most recent version, but i installed the earlier version and had problems with it, where the program wouldn't actually close the way it should have, when i tried to close it..

i personally didn't have problems with build 6.0.x, but some people said that it was really slow on their computers, and i wound up going back to using build 5.4.5 which can be downloaded from "filehippo.com"..

one thing that i will mention, if you try to install the latest version of "foxit reader", which is bundled with "conduit" scumware, and you find that the scumware has hijacked your computer, you shouldn't try to uninstall it from windows "add/remove".. there is a risk that it could trash your computer if you do.. instead, use "adwcleaner" and "junkware removal tool", and "malwarebytes", to remove the conduit scumware..

here is a related thread:

»[Updated] Free - Foxit PDF Reader/Creator 6.1.4
bennor
Premium Member
join:2006-07-22
New Haven, CT

4 recommendations

bennor to pdf

Premium Member

to pdf
There is always PDF-XChange Viewer and PDF-XChange Editor.
PDF-XChange Viewer : »www.tracker-software.com ··· e-viewer
PDF-XChange Editor: »www.tracker-software.com ··· e-editor

Kosh
We are all Kosh
Premium Member
join:2005-11-16
Z'ha'dum

1 recommendation

Kosh to pdf

Premium Member

to pdf
FWIW, Adobe has improved their reader to be a bit less bloaty, but I understand the exploits angle. I used Foxit but didn't care for the UI changes, so I'm using SumatraPDF now, it is free and open source.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious to pdf

Premium Member

to pdf
I'll mention Evince since no one else has; I found out about it from a previous thread on this same topic a quite a while back now.
Sentinel
Premium Member
join:2001-02-07
Florida

1 recommendation

Sentinel to bennor

Premium Member

to bennor
Second vote for PDF-Xchange Viewer
I love it.

aussiedog
join:2007-01-10
Mesilla Park, NM

1 recommendation

aussiedog

said by Sentinel:

+1

sbconslt
join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

sbconslt to pdf

to pdf
SumatraPDF +1
Expand your moderator at work

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

gate1975mlm to pdf

Premium Member

to pdf

Re: [Free] A good PDF reader to replace Adobe?

PDF-XChange Editor is my favorite
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

1 recommendation

decx to pdf

Premium Member

to pdf
My vote goes to PDF-Xchange Viewer.

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Obihai OBi200

jmorlan to pdf

MVM

to pdf
Click for full size
If you use Irfanview as an image viewer, it will work fine as a PDF viewer using GhostScript Lite as a plugin.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl to pdf

Premium Member

to pdf
Sumatra. You can also use Firefox and/or Google Chrome.

amazingm
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
USA

1 recommendation

amazingm to pdf

Premium Member

to pdf
I've used Nitro Reader for years and have never had an issue with it. Some features are only available in the Professional (paid) version, but for my use, the free Nitro Reader is more than enough.

Buddel
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Premium Member
join:2004-03-06
EU

Buddel to aussiedog

Premium Member

to aussiedog
said by aussiedog:

said by Sentinel:

+1

+1

Pentangle
With our thoughts we make the world.
Premium Member
join:2006-06-01
Vancouver BC

Pentangle to GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

to GlennLouEarl
said by GlennLouEarl:

Sumatra. You can also use Firefox and/or Google Chrome.

I use both PDF-Xchange Viewer and Sumatra. The first for .pdf files; the second for .epub and .mobi files. Both programs are excellent in my view.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

1 edit

jaykaykay to amazingm

MVM

to amazingm
As have I. I've actually tried Foxit and Sumatra, but chose Nitro a number of years ago over the others, and I've stuck with it ever since.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member
join:2002-02-18

1 edit

Ctrl Alt Del to pdf

Premium Member

to pdf
I'm assuming you mean for Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Android. Because if you're using Windows 8/8.1, Mac OS X, or iOS, they all have a built in PDF reader already.

EDIT: As pointed out by others, Firefox and Chrome also have built in PDF readers.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

A builtin PDF reader in Windows 8? Where? Fx has a builtin one if you want to read in your browser which I do not like to do.
Mele20

1 recommendation

Mele20 to pdf

Premium Member

to pdf
I've tried them all and several years ago I settled on Evince for Windows. It's the primary PDF reader for Linux and there is a version ported to Windows. I like it much better than any Windows PDF reader including Nitro and Sumatra. It works on Windows 8 even though the download page doesn't mention Windows 8.

»wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evin ··· ownloads

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to pdf

Premium Member

to pdf
another +1 for foxit.

hamete
@qwest.net

hamete to pdf

Anon

to pdf
I've never had a problem with Foxit 5.1, but Nitro has also been reliable and makes it easy to save web pages as pdf's.
chitchatjf
join:2008-07-13
Lawrence, MA

chitchatjf to pdf

to pdf
I myself am content WITH Adobe,but that is me

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member
join:2002-02-18

Ctrl Alt Del to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

A builtin PDF reader in Windows 8? Where?

The Modern (aka Metro) Reader app will open PDFs: »windows.microsoft.com/en ··· -app-faq
Shady Bimmer
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03

Shady Bimmer to pdf

Premium Member

to pdf
I have been using the native viewer on Windows 8 and have used the native viewer on MacOS, IOS (iPad), and Android for as long as I can remember.

On Win7 I typically use chrome (the builtin viewer) but otherwise fall back to the Adobe Reader. As noted already it is not as bad as it had been and the standalone alternatives each in their own time seem to go the same route as Adobe.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to pdf

Premium Member

to pdf
To divert the tiopic a bit, how about alternatives to Acrobat for CREATING pdf's?

What's the choice for that, which may have many of the same features that Acrobat has (web capture, etc...)?
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Ctrl Alt Del

Premium Member

to Ctrl Alt Del
said by Ctrl Alt Del:

said by Mele20:

A builtin PDF reader in Windows 8? Where?

The Modern (aka Metro) Reader app will open PDFs: »windows.microsoft.com/en ··· -app-faq

Aha...I think I remember that now. I uninstalled all Metro apps the day I got this computer. I can't use them anyway because I disabled UAC in the registry. I NEVER use Metro side and wish sorely that I could just rip it out of Windows 8. The ONLY need for Metro is if you need to access advanced boot options (other than Safe Mode).

jap
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
038xx

1 edit

jap to pdf

Premium Member

to pdf
If all you want to do is open & read (no editing) then Sumatra. Open source, fast, stable, stays out the way. Plain good code.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Su ··· atra_PDF

n2kb
@50.40.236.x

n2kb

Anon

I (think / am 99% sure) that you can just drag a PDF into Chrome and it'll open it up without any other software required, if that helps at all.