spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ghettocowboy
join:2013-08-06
Center Line, MI

ghettocowboy

looks like im making the jump until wow gets more competitive

comcast install set for next tues. at the price and package i was offered, i'll at least give it the 30 day trial.
$119/month for 2 tv's with the x1 whole home dvr, hbo/cin/starz/sho/enc, 105Mbps(originally quoted 50, before the upgrade hit), and phone. this doesnt include the $8 modem fee, ill be using my own. price good for 12 months, goes up $20 the 2nd year. maybe by then wow will stop slacking off.
i have been very loyal to wow for a long time, but right now they cant keep up. slower speed offerings than others, very slow upload speeds, raising prices while taking things away.
clocks11
join:2002-05-06

clocks11

I was where you are at about a year ago. I had a Comcast install setup. Last ditch attempt by WOW saved me, and I figured I'd give them another year to make their speeds competitive.

Unfortunately, WOW has stood still, while Comcast it doubling speeds again! So I've been saving my Comcast offers. There are two that look pretty appealing.

gatownsend
join:2003-04-26
Westlake, OH

gatownsend

If it's been about a year, any deals you struck with WOW at the time are probably coming up to expire, so that means you'd have to call them to keep those anyway. They do seem to be dealing, and if you call with a specific deal from a competitor I'll be they'll try and beat it. If speed and price is what matters, tell them that straight up. I called a while back with a specific deal from TW and they beat it by a little per month (about $5 or $7, IIRC).

If there's other things giving you headaches besides the speed or price, then you'd obviously need to consider those, too.

~Gary
ghettocowboy
Center Line, MI

ghettocowboy

already did that. they gave me back starz/enc, but im still at $140/month for ultra signature and 50mb internet. the upload has also been an issue. 50/5 while comcast gives 50/10. the 105/20 is a huge bonus though

mix
join:2002-03-19
Romeo, MI

mix

Any chance you can keep both services running for a few days and do some comparison tests?
ghettocowboy
Center Line, MI

ghettocowboy

i will actually be relocating the router and stuff over to where my main components are so that i can run my ps4 wired.
i do have plenty of time spent with wow though, so i'll give a comparison review after a week or so of having comcast.

tc1uscg
join:2005-03-09
Gulfport, MS

tc1uscg to ghettocowboy

to ghettocowboy
I'm debating a jump too. The ONLY and I mean ONLY thing keeping me in check is the cap. Sorry but I've gotten close a couple of times with Comcasts 250gb cap while WOW has zero cap. But I priced out Comcast's (Xfinity) X1 service with 105down and 20 up, phone, and 3 TV's for DVR service and 2 w/those little adapters to watch cable at almost 30 bucks less from WOW's Ultra w/o phone. I'm still on the fence but leaning towards CC because of another issue. Since I've gotten wow's media gateway, I can't use my modem (they said I couldn't have 2 mac's on my account from the same hookup).. I'm still scratching my head on that one and I can't access my FTP server, cloud drives (except my WD Mycloud drive which I just got). Wow took channels away but charged me more (rebroadcast fees) and with CC, I get those channels back plus HBO, TMC and Max. Price is locked for 2 years but I'm sure price on hardware (normally the roadblock as I don't feel WE as a customer should have to pay to just get basic cable channels like I do with WOW (no box needed)). So, I'm looking for a rise on the cap from CC or WOW to double my speed or cut my costs. Calling them this weekend and try to settle. If they don't want to deal, then there will be one more orange cable burried in my yard that gets no use.
Body Count
join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

Body Count

I just bought a WD Mycloud drive also. I think the reason why we can access it so easy is because it goes through the WD website first and forwards it to your box at home.

Does yours freeze up every so often? I'm trying to back up my stufff.. sending gigs of information to it... and it will just stop working. Only way to fix it is to pull the power and plug it back in.
xiaNaix
join:2011-12-28
Saint Clair Shores, MI

xiaNaix to ghettocowboy

to ghettocowboy
That 105Mbps internet isn't even worth having with their 300gb/mo bandwidth cap. It's currently not being enforced in most areas but is expected to go into effect sometime this year.
boopin
join:2011-08-25
Pickerington, OH

boopin to ghettocowboy

to ghettocowboy
The biggest thing pushing me towards a switch right now is the crappy ping responses I'm getting due to being re-routed through a bunch of Knology crap. My ping to Microsoft's Azure servers used to be in the 30's and 40's across the country now I can barely get below 70 to East US (Virginia) or North Central US (Chicago). With Titanfall coming out soon and running on the Azure servers this is a serious problem for a gaming nerd like myself.

DatDude
@comcast.net

DatDude to tc1uscg

Anon

to tc1uscg
said by tc1uscg:

I'm debating a jump too. The ONLY and I mean ONLY thing keeping me in check is the cap. Sorry but I've gotten close a couple of times with Comcasts 250gb cap while WOW has zero cap. But I priced out Comcast's (Xfinity) X1 service with 105down and 20 up, phone, and 3 TV's for DVR service and 2 w/those little adapters to watch cable at almost 30 bucks less from WOW's Ultra w/o phone. I'm still on the fence but leaning towards CC because of another issue. Since I've gotten wow's media gateway, I can't use my modem (they said I couldn't have 2 mac's on my account from the same hookup).. I'm still scratching my head on that one and I can't access my FTP server, cloud drives (except my WD Mycloud drive which I just got). Wow took channels away but charged me more (rebroadcast fees) and with CC, I get those channels back plus HBO, TMC and Max. Price is locked for 2 years but I'm sure price on hardware (normally the roadblock as I don't feel WE as a customer should have to pay to just get basic cable channels like I do with WOW (no box needed)). So, I'm looking for a rise on the cap from CC or WOW to double my speed or cut my costs. Calling them this weekend and try to settle. If they don't want to deal, then there will be one more orange cable burried in my yard that gets no use.

Comcast only has a data cap in a select few southern states right now and it's 300Gb. There is NO cap in Michigan for Comcast
ghettocowboy
Center Line, MI

ghettocowboy

the cap was 1 of the biggest issues for me as well. i have a ps4, my wife has a ps3, and both tv's are smart. we're constantly playing online and streaming hd movies. bf4 alone is a 40+gb game alone. buying the digital copy of a couple ps4 games and the cap is eaten.
comcast currently does not have a cap for us right now in MI. i think they're begining to realize that 250-300gb isnt going to cut it anymore as more and more people are doing digital content and streaming
xiaNaix
join:2011-12-28
Saint Clair Shores, MI

xiaNaix

said by ghettocowboy:

the cap was 1 of the biggest issues for me as well. i have a ps4, my wife has a ps3, and both tv's are smart. we're constantly playing online and streaming hd movies. bf4 alone is a 40+gb game alone. buying the digital copy of a couple ps4 games and the cap is eaten.
comcast currently does not have a cap for us right now in MI. i think they're begining to realize that 250-300gb isnt going to cut it anymore as more and more people are doing digital content and streaming

They haven't realized anything. The new bandwidth cap will be 300gb per month and you will pay for any overages. It is currently being tested in a few markets and is expected to roll out everywhere sometime this year.
markm5
join:2013-10-06
Clearwater, FL

markm5

said by xiaNaix:

said by ghettocowboy:

They haven't realized anything. The new bandwidth cap will be 300gb per month and you will pay for any overages. It is currently being tested in a few markets and is expected to roll out everywhere sometime this year.

I cant imagine a cap and rather have a slower speed than a cap anyday.. I just dont want to worry about such garbage.

ClockerXP
join:2001-05-24
Sterling Heights, MI
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear CM500V
Netgear C7100V

1 edit

ClockerXP to ghettocowboy

to ghettocowboy
I have been unhappy with WOW due to them falling behind the competition on the services/value proposition, too. And my wife has been unhappy with how flaky UltraTV can be.

I know the best deals come from the Comcast sales guys, not by calling the 1-800 number or going to the Comcast website. Can some of you guys in metro-Detroit give me the contact info for your "Comcast Guy" via Private Message?
grantsa4
join:2007-08-15
Naperville, IL

grantsa4

If anyone has a guy in Illinois if they could please PM me. Thanks.
ghettocowboy
Center Line, MI

ghettocowboy

my sb6141 came today. one step closer to the switch, just waiting for tues. and for those wondering, i will be using this modem even though i was set up to do phone. it was a better package with phone, but i wont actually be using it. i was told they can set things up and my phone will just be listed as inactive. whenever(if ever) i want to actually use the phone, i can just pick up their modem and swap it out.
wow has a lot to work on. catch up on internet speeds, on demand that doesnt suck, and more competitive pricing to name a few. i could end up back with wow. could be 2yrs from now, when they finally get back to what wow used to be, could be before my 30 day trial of comcast ends. who knows.

ClockerXP
Sterling Heights, MI

ClockerXP

Please keep us posted with how it goes! Good luck.
Jeremy W
join:2010-01-21

Jeremy W to xiaNaix

to xiaNaix
said by xiaNaix:

Expected by who? You? Comcast has acknowledged the tests, and said they haven't made any decisions on what they'll do going forward. Stop making stuff up.
ghettocowboy
Center Line, MI

ghettocowboy

comcast installed today. still playing around with it and getting used to things. going to take forever to get used to the different channel numbers lol. so far its pretty cool though. cant record as many channels as ultra, but the x1 seems nicer overall. i was able to go through and set up all the series recordings we had pretty easily thanks to the voice search on the phone app (an app for android that wow has been procrastinating on horribly btw). the internet speeds are amazing. wirelessly i hit anywhere between 80-110 down and about 23 up.
clocks11

clocks11

said by ghettocowboy:

the internet speeds are amazing. wirelessly i hit anywhere between 80-110 down and about 23 up.

That's sounds awesome. I am really losing patience with WOW. Another company has boosted speeds. WOW just seems to be lagging so far behind these days. I don't get it.

»RCN Boosts Upstream Speeds For Free [5] comments
ghettocowboy
Center Line, MI

ghettocowboy

the retentions rep tried offering me $10 off my bill. would have still been more than comcast, 1/2 the download speed, 1/4 the upload, and i still wouldnt have all the movie channels.
so far im enjoying this. the on demand alone almost makes the switch worth it. i never used wow's because it was horrible. i have so much good stuff on this that i cant decide what to watch.
clocks11

clocks11

You'll have to know what the final bill comes to when it comes. If there are any crap fees, etc...
markm5
join:2013-10-06
Clearwater, FL

markm5 to ghettocowboy

to ghettocowboy
said by ghettocowboy:

comcast install set for next tues. at the price and package i was offered, i'll at least give it the 30 day trial.
$119/month for 2 tv's with the x1 whole home dvr, hbo/cin/starz/sho/enc, 105Mbps(originally quoted 50, before the upgrade hit), and phone. this doesnt include the $8 modem fee, ill be using my own. price good for 12 months, goes up $20 the 2nd year. maybe by then wow will stop slacking off.
i have been very loyal to wow for a long time, but right now they cant keep up. slower speed offerings than others, very slow upload speeds, raising prices while taking things away.

You really have all of those premium channels at no cost for the next few years? That is shocking. I've not seen anyone doing that around here. I've not seen this kind of price from anyone in our area. FIOS is expensive, so is Bright House, WOW costs about the same as those, but seems to lag behind badly on modem speeds. FIOS is well known for trick advertising, like we will give you the service for one price but then you read the fine print and the price increases $20 in the second year. FIOS equipment prices are higher.

In our area, there is no on demand video on WOW at all. I am staying with WOW for now anyway due to the fact I really, really hate contracts.
markm5

markm5

For instance, Bright House gave us a price of $154 compared to $140 for the same thing with WOW, that is 30/5 internet, 2 tuner DVR, phone, 1 HD STB, HD channels, 2 TVs, 1 premium channel. For FIOS, this all would cost about $180. So WOW was $140, BH was $155, and FIOS was $180 for the same services.
ghettocowboy
Center Line, MI

ghettocowboy to markm5

to markm5
said by markm5:

You really have all of those premium channels at no cost for the next few years? That is shocking. I've not seen anyone doing that around here. I've not seen this kind of price from anyone in our area. FIOS is expensive, so is Bright House, WOW costs about the same as those, but seems to lag behind badly on modem speeds. FIOS is well known for trick advertising, like we will give you the service for one price but then you read the fine print and the price increases $20 in the second year. FIOS equipment prices are higher.

In our area, there is no on demand video on WOW at all. I am staying with WOW for now anyway due to the fact I really, really hate contracts.

yes it includes all the movie channels. the price does go up $20 the 2nd year. so it goes up to what i pay now for wow and i still get way more stuff.
the offer was from a door to door rep. they offer blowout prices if you're lucky enough to have one come to your area.
clocks11

clocks11

I've recently rec'd two nice offers in the mail:

Xfinity Internet & TV - Infinity TV, includes HBO, Streampix, 50meg internet(25meg crossed out, recently upgraded), X1 dvr service with multiroom viewing for 2years $89.99

Internet Plus - Infinity TV, HBO, Streampix, 25meg internet (I'm guessing this will also get the free upgrade to 50meg) for 1 year at $39.99

I'm not sure what the channel lineups are for either package, but I think the cheap one just has mostly the basic channels. Honestly, I would take either of these packages over my current WOW deal. I'm trying to allow WOW a little more time to boost speeds, but I'm getting anxious.

Edit: Also both these packages supposedly include free nationwide wifi where available. The issue is, WOW doesn't/can't provide anything comparable to some of these perks (on-demand, streampix, wifi, etc..) So they really need to step it up in terms of the other areas, like speed, pricing, etc...
LordKronos
join:2002-01-02
Dearborn Heights, MI

1 edit

LordKronos

said by clocks11:

Xfinity Internet & TV - Infinity TV, includes HBO, Streampix, 50meg internet(25meg crossed out, recently upgraded), X1 dvr service with multiroom viewing for 2years $89.99

I'm not sure what the channel lineups are for either package,

I got the same offer. If you read the back of the 2 page letter, the fine print at the bottom indicates it is Digital Preferred TV, which according to the comcast website is 150+ channels, and is roughly equivalent to WOW better lineup (Signature cable).

I called WOW yesterday to see what they could do to match it. The best they offered me was:

Signature TV + 30Mbps Internet
No HBO or other premium channel
I don't think it included Ultra, but that wasn't an aspect I was focusing on since I use my own PC-based DVR system
Only an 18 month price guarantee (instead of 24)
$107.25 per month

Alternatively, they could also let me keep my current package (Signature w/ HD + 15 down/1 up) for $87.

Needless to say , I didn't consider either of their offers to be very competitive. I guess after a decade of swearing I'd never go back to Comcast, I'm gonna have to give them a try again. Having the price guaranteed for the entire 2 year contract, I suppose I've got little to lose (other than my dignity...it is a tough pill to swallow)
clocks11

clocks11

said by LordKronos:

Needless to say , I didn't consider either of their offers to be very competitive. I guess after a decade of swearing I'd never go back to Comcast, I'm gonna have to give them a try again. Having the price guaranteed for the entire 2 year contract, I suppose I've got little to lose (other than my dignity...it is a tough pill to swallow)

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I almost switched about 9 months ago, but eventually accepted a lesser offer to stay with WOW. Now Comcast is doubling speeds again, and it is going to be hard to justify staying. WOW charges a small fortune for their 50meg service, while for Comcast the 50meg plan has a higher upload and is like the 2nd to slowest tier.

I don't know if it has been the change in ownership, but WOW just doesn't seem to be the same company it once was. They used to beat Comcast in service, speeds, and price. The only thing they beat Comcast on now is service.

ClockerXP
Sterling Heights, MI

ClockerXP to ghettocowboy

to ghettocowboy
ghettocowboy- What DVR hardware did you get?

Link to Hardware:

»Comcast Cable TV FAQ