Search similar:

uniqs
Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Is this a good printer (Brothers DCP-7065-DN)

I currently have an HP Officejet 6500 all-in-one printer that periodically will not print in black in and this has been going on for one - two years now.

In another thread a Brothers laser printer is recommended.

»www.costco.com/Brother-D ··· 972.html

I found this one at Costco and would like your advice. This will be a home printer networked via ethernet. Is it good? Will it be easy for me to install? (the networking forum helped me with the HP).I have fios and an actiontek router I think. And if this is good, how to I remove the HP and drivers which are installed on two computers. Also, in the reviews someone mentioned the printer coming out of sleep - I just want to turn it off when done.

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

We have had several Brother printers. The quality, especially of the business class units, is excellent. Installation is a breeze on our home network. We let ours sleep. You can easily turn it off at the switch.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Thank you very much. I noticed that Costco doesn't carry the Brothers toner for that printer, they have a remanufactured one (for tn 420 and tn 450). Is that safe to use or am I better off purchasing the Brothers toner?

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

I've got a really cheap Samsung ML2010 that I've had for years now. I got the first refill for it ever (it's just B&W LASER) and ordered from Monoprice I think, the price was great and the refill works swimmingly.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Libra

to Libra
said by Libra:

Thank you very much. I noticed that Costco doesn't carry the Brothers toner for that printer, they have a remanufactured one (for tn 420 and tn 450). Is that safe to use or am I better off purchasing the Brothers toner?

We use Brother toner.

TheMole
join:2001-12-06
USA

TheMole to Libra

to Libra
I just purchased this printer - amazon had it for $10 cheaper. So far, so good. The software install caused one of my new PCS to hang, but worked well on another.

Printing is fast and has a high quality look. Scanning is pretty good - occasionally one side is cut off on the tray scanner. Might be user error.

All in all, this is a nice printer for $90 or so. I'd recommend it.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown to Libra

Premium Member

to Libra
I really like Brother printers.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

I've decided I am going to order this printer.

I downloaded a pdf from the brothers' site regarding networking.. I have a few questions about setting this up. I will be using an Ethernet cable.

Can I select Boot Method to static and give an IP of 192.168.1.253
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.1
Default Gateway 192.168.1.1.
DNS Server 192.168.1.1.

I think i'm suppose to put in a Mode Name BRNxxx which is the mac address/ethernet address. Where do I find this address?

I also saw Ethernet Link Mode for ethernet connection (examples 100 base -T full or half duplex OR 10 Base T full or half duplex mode by auto negotiation) IF VALUE SET INCORRECTLY YOU WONT BE ABLE TO COMMUNICATE WITH PRINTER. Is this information in the device manager under network adapter? If not, where do I find it?

I also have a laptop with a wi-fi connection. Since there is an ethernet connection with the other computers, can the wi-fi laptop get connected to the printer?

If my thoughts on how to install the printer via ethernet are not correct, how should I do this? I have verizon fios.

I appreciate everyone's help.

Sincerely, Libra

TheMole
USA

TheMole

Setup boot mode as static with your IP, mask, dns and default route you listed above. That is all correct

Leave link mode as auto.

This all presumes you are plugging in a ethernet cable for the connection.

Use of a wifi enabled laptop has no impact on the printer configuration. Your laptop will see the printer as the IP address you gave it (192.168.1.253) above.

The mode name is simply the name you want to assign the printer - it has nothing to do with MAC address.

Good luck. Post back here if you need more help. I have the same printer working well connected to my FIOS router via ethernet cable.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
I put in a few questions about installing this printer for a network using an ethernet cable above.

I don't understand the Network pdf. Is there an easy way to install the printer? Does the printer software recognize what the settings should be? I have an actiontek router for fios and as far as I know the IPs are not static.

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

TheMole
USA

TheMole

the simple way to do this is just keep the printer networking settings as default (DHCP) and it will assign the IP, MASK, and Default route on it's own.

you just need to then find the IP of the printer -- maybe from a printer status print out page -- and then install the software.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Hi TheMole,

I appreciate your responses. I hadn't seen your post when I responded previously.

Do you think I'm better off using boot mode as static?

I noticed on the Brothers website it mentions the printer has an IP of 192.168.1.199. If I'm using the static am I better to use the .199?

Or will the default (DHCP) work okay?

Again, thank you so much.

I will be using an ethernet cable for the printer.

I just ordered the printer from Costco.

Sincerely, Libra

TheMole
USA

TheMole

as long as you don't have another host on the network with the same IP address of 192.168.1.199 you should be okay.

that's probably the best place to start.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Thank you so much. I'll let you know how this all works out.

Sincerely, Libra
Libra

Libra to TheMole

Premium Member

to TheMole
I installed the printer today using the DHCP default. It gave the printer the IP number 192.168.1.5.

When I install the printer software on another computer, do I chose the DHCP default again or am I suppose to insert 192.168.1.5 and set it as static even though the initial install is DHCP?

Thank you. I'll wait to hear back from you

Sincerely, Libra

Also, I noticed in the printer properties it said it's only for my admin account? I want this to work on all printers without giving my admin password. I hope I'm misunderstanding this.. I was able to print using a standard user account on that computer.

TheMole
USA

TheMole

Use the 192.168.1.5 address for all other PCs on your LAN.

You should be able to install the printer software so that all users on the machine can print to it.

Just an FYI, my starter toner cartridge that came with the printer is now reporting LOW TONER only after 100 or so pages printed. I ordered a new one from amazon.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua

Premium Member

You do realize, TheMole See Profile that by using DHCP if he/she turns off the printers everybody will loose connectivity.

Libra See Profile, you want to make sure the printer has a static IP address. By leaving at DHCP, you may lose connections between printer and PCs if the power goes out, you turn off the printer, etc.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra to TheMole

Premium Member

to TheMole
Thank you so much. I now have the printer installed on all three computers. I checked Amazon for the toner and the price is very good. I appreciate that.

I am having one problem. I printed the confirmation page for the order of the printer from my e-mail. It's printing it but cut off part of the right side of the page. I went into print preview and it shows it cut off. I went into page setup and it shows "scale 100%" and "shrink to fit page width" is checked. I went into printer properties>advanced. It showed scaling is off and I checked "fit to paper size" - letter.

Print setting shows graphics. Should that be text or does it matter?

I printed it a second time but it still cut off the right side of the page. I then went into the control panel and set Printing Preferences>advanced> to Print to paper size (letter) and set toner save mode and clicked okay. I can see with Print Preview the right side of the page is still cut off. Do you have any ideas?

Sincerely, Libra
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

1 recommendation

HarryH3 to Boricua

Premium Member

to Boricua
said by Boricua:

You do realize, TheMole See Profile that by using DHCP if he/she turns off the printers everybody will loose connectivity.

Libra See Profile, you want to make sure the printer has a static IP address. By leaving at DHCP, you may lose connections between printer and PCs if the power goes out, you turn off the printer, etc.

The printer doesn't act as a DHCP server, it just gets its address FROM a DHCP server. Most printers these days also send a MAC address or other unique hardware ID to the print driver, so that the print driver can still find the printer, even if the DHCP server later assigns a different IP address to the printer.

TheMole
USA

TheMole to Libra

to Libra
interestingly, when I print from Chrome, webpages are cut off on the left side. i thought it was Chrome's issue (or the particular webpage) and not the printer. When I print any PDFs from Adobe Reader or other programs, I don't have that problem.

What application are you using to print?

A note about the toner: after i received the low toner message, found this amazon.com review at addresses the issue: »www.amazon.com/review/R8 ··· tr_alt_1

All I had to do was open the door to the toner cartridge, pull the cartridge out and put it back in (different from what this guy wrote). That reset the page count and made the low toner message go away. I'll run the starter toner cartridge until it dies out completely. My replacement arrived in the mail yesterday.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

I'm using the Pale Moon browser and copying from Aol webmail. Everything else I have printed is printing correctly from the web. I like how the printer wakes up and prints.

I noticed when I put in the shrink and use less toner settings they did not stay.

Thanks for letting me know removing the toner cartridge and putting it back reset the counter.

Do you have the control center in the systray? I do, but dont know what to do with it.

Sincerely, Libra
Libra

Libra to HarryH3

Premium Member

to HarryH3
said by HarryH3:

I gave the printer the IP address on the two additional installs. The Printer has a BRN number for the network.

With my HP printer it lost its connection and was assigned the IP this printer has. it did keep that number for a few months. I hope I'm lucky with this one.

Sincerely, Libra

TheMole
USA

TheMole to Libra

to Libra
said by Libra:

Do you have the control center in the systray? I do, but dont know what to do with it.

the control center (officially called ControlCenter4) enables you to use the "Scan To..." function from the printer itself. Since the printer doesn't have the smarts to convert a file to a PDF or attach it to an email or fax itself, the ControlCenter4 program does that for you on the PC.

I am running this so that I can use the Scan to File functionality, which is a big benefit to me. It enables the printer to be placed in a non-office work area in my house so that anyone can quickly scan a document and worry about what to do with the file later. It keeps the house free of papers.

If order to make this work, you need to have a PC running with the software installed.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

I don't quite understand the Scan to feature, but it sounds like it's good if you can scan and put what you want in one file and print it when you want.

I got a notice on one computer and updated the Nuance Paper Port utility.

I also went into the router and set the printer's IP as static.

Thanks for all of your help. I appreciate it.

Sincerely, Libra