Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to Mike

Re: WTF are Canadian universities thinking???

said by Mike:

I bet you a looney that having Google host everything is significantly cheaper than running / supporting your own exchange / app server?

It is. That is why companies do it as well. I know for sure that a large well known Canadian company uses it.

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

RIM? lol

Sorry couldn't resist.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to donoreo

We're moving to Office 365 and eventually VDI , so instead of PC's we'll be using thin clients.
--
My Name is Wiley E Coyote, Super Genius

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

said by elwoodblues:

We're moving to Office 365 and eventually VDI , so instead of PC's we'll be using thin clients.

Yes, but your employer IS a US-based company, so they'd have to cough up ANYTHING the US demanded of it - even on Canadians, even if the data was held in Canada.

Since when is it ethically correct for a publicly-funded Canadian university to serve up Canadian student & academic information to the NSA via Google?

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to elwoodblues

If you are in IT for your company your life will be so much easier by doing this.

battleop

reply to MaynardKrebs

You do know that Google is an international company and they have Data Centers in other countries. It's possible the data is kept in Canadian Data Centers where it's a little more difficult for the NSA to operate. Google probably isn't a single company but a collection of country specific companies to help address this and other problems associated with being a global company.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

2 recommendations

said by battleop:

It's possible the data is kept in Canadian Data Centers where it's a little more difficult for the NSA to operate.

You keep thinking that.

battleop

I guess you're having a hard time with the phrase "It's possible".

It really does not matter if it's hosted by Google or the University, in the US or Canada or the moon. If they want the data they will get it. They only way to feel 100% secure is to stay off line and in a hole in the ground.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

shrugs

@videotron.ca

said by battleop:

I guess you're having a hard time with the phrase "It's possible".

It's not possible. He is correct. I don't want to waste the time looking into the the patriot act, or finding links to post for you from privcom.gc.ca. You can do this yourself.

But as long as an entity has an American ownship in it (even partial), it doesn't matter where the data warehouse is, or the server farms. The law states they *have* to give if asked. And that is really the end of it. If not they end up in prison and enough fines to bankrupt them and their next generation of kids.

As Maynard stated,
said by MaynardKrebs:

I guess I'm late to the party

This is stuff that is known and years old. The info is all there for you to look-up and read.

There are reasons why some prov's have elected not to store medical data on any server farm that has any sort of American partial ownership. I do believe PEI and Alberta (or BC) were the first to do this.

"It's possible" if someone goes rogue, give up their life's work and money, and wants to be a fugitive from American law and live the rest of their life in Russia. Yes it's possible.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

It wouldn't matter even if the server was located on physical Canadian soil and run by a 100% Canadian organization with no US operations or affiliates. If the NSA wants what's on it, they can get it. Easily. To the point of it being laughable for anyone to think anything otherwise.

shrugs

@videotron.ca

heh a couple of years ago people would be asking about your tinfoil hat, and the tightness of it. But... you're right.

When a Canadian gov agency doesn't even consider metadata data, that says something.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

Five Eyes. Nuff said.