Search similar:

uniqs

JimHandeix
@wideopenwest.com

1 recommendation

JimHandeix

Anon

Admuncher is officially abandonware.

Murray hasn't visited his own forums since 2011. Facebook, Twitter haven't been updated in 2 years.

No Gzip support, some sites can be 2-5 times slower due to existing bugs, no HTTP1.1. No support for Windows 8X, Internet Explorer no longer works in it (and they keep advertising it does). Some newer web browsers don't work right with it. Google+ and other apps don't function right with it. No HTTPS scanning - which is crucial these days. Promised features never materialized, some promises dating back almost half a decade still unrealized.

Murray hasn't made any public comment about Admuncher, has no interface for v5, has no development data, no alphas, no patch notes. He is deeply involved with other projects.

Conclusion - Admuncher is abandoned. Recommend Adguard as a superior alternative.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

2 recommendations

DownTheShore

Premium Member

Too bad.

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

1 recommendation

dandelion to JimHandeix

MVM

to JimHandeix
Sort of strange he totally disappeared off the web.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

»twitter.com/Murray

HA Nut
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
USA

HA Nut to JimHandeix

Premium Member

to JimHandeix
The only hope for it I have is that ad definitions are still being updated on nearly a daily basis. So, it's not totally dead yet. But clearly, development for any new versions appears to be stalled. Too bad!
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned) to JimHandeix

to JimHandeix
Very sad. It was a good App.

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

chachazz

Premium Member

Developers comment on another forum: March 3rd, 2014
quote:
I do apologize for how long it is taking, but I assure you, we are working as hard as we can.
on version 5, that is.

JimHandeix
@wideopenwest.com

JimHandeix

Anon

They've been promising v5 for over 5 years. FIVE YEARS. They promised Gzip support in 2005, and again promised it in 2011.

When Admuncher failed to work under all Internet Explorer versions past 10, they said the only fix was to revert back to IE 9.. That's their answer - downgrade your security, speed, and reliability to a 4 year old browser? They continue to advertise Admuncher as supporting IE on their website. (which hasn't been updated in 2 years)

Murray hasn't posted on AM forums since March of 2011.. 3 years ago. Filter lists are being updated pretty regularly, but that's it. Those filter lists are limited in what they can accomplish, they won't help the product filter HTTPS, Gzip, or work on Windows 8X applications.

The conclusion is - it's abandoned. Sorry to say.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to HA Nut

Premium Member

to HA Nut
said by HA Nut:

The only hope for it I have is that ad definitions are still being updated on nearly a daily basis.

I would [hope] so, people pay for definition updates on a subscription basis....

tempnexusawa
@verizon.net

tempnexusawa to JimHandeix

Anon

to JimHandeix
HA I recall @guard being a really cool light firewall back in 1997-2000 era and then they got bought out by Symantec and included into Norton Internet Security with a very heavy overhead.

BKayrac
Premium Member
join:2001-09-29

BKayrac to JimHandeix

Premium Member

to JimHandeix
said by JimHandeix :

They've been promising v5 for over 5 years. FIVE YEARS. They promised Gzip support in 2005, and again promised it in 2011.

When Admuncher failed to work under all Internet Explorer versions past 10, they said the only fix was to revert back to IE 9.. That's their answer - downgrade your security, speed, and reliability to a 4 year old browser? They continue to advertise Admuncher as supporting IE on their website. (which hasn't been updated in 2 years)

Murray hasn't posted on AM forums since March of 2011.. 3 years ago. Filter lists are being updated pretty regularly, but that's it. Those filter lists are limited in what they can accomplish, they won't help the product filter HTTPS, Gzip, or work on Windows 8X applications.

The conclusion is - it's abandoned. Sorry to say.

I think his name is Jeff, but he's very active on the IRC and forum. He is the one that updates definitions.

He continues to say v5 is fairly close to done.

That said, assuming you don't use IE 10(why in the hell would you), and the fact it doesn't filter HTTPS(not many websites use it, or default to it). It still works pretty well.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

1 recommendation

Dustyn to JimHandeix

Premium Member

to JimHandeix
How is this "official" if he hasn't declared it "officially abandonware"? Definitions are still being released. And what happens when version 5 is released?
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

1 recommendation

EdmundGerber

said by Dustyn:

And what happens when version 5 is released?

When? You misspelled 'if'....

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

1 recommendation

Dustyn

Premium Member

Until the developer puts an official statement out saying they've abandoned production and ceased distribution of daily definition files... which they have denied, I don't think so. This is all speculation at best. The topic title is highly misleading and inappropriate.
EdmundGerber

EdmundGerber

said by Dustyn:

Until the developer puts an official statement out saying they've abandoned production and ceased distribution of daily definition files... which they have denied, I don't think so. This is all speculation at best. The topic title is highly misleading and inappropriate.

They've been promising features since 2005. Eventually those excuses became 'we're working on a completely new version'. That was at least 3 years ago.

Speculation - of course! What's wrong with that, given the evidence? On the other foot, some might say if you can't see what's happening, you must be blind.

Inappropriate? Do tell?

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN

2 recommendations

Dustyn

Premium Member

POSTED 2 HOURS AGO
»www.murrayhurps.com/blog ··· -history

HA Nut
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
USA

1 recommendation

HA Nut

Premium Member

Thanks for the post Dustyn!!

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

1 edit

2 recommendations

Dustyn

Premium Member

You're very welcome!
I'm excited to see who's gonna eat the first round of crow upon Ad Munchers arrival.
This is a first small step by the developer to indicate development is ongoing. This should end up proving this thread to be "inappropriate". I'll be monitoring the blog tomorrow for the public demonstration preview.
EdmundGerber

EdmundGerber

Given some of the features for v5 were promised in 2005, I'm pretty sure any crow eating will be deferred. And you do know 'demo' doesn't even necessarily mean a code release - even alpha code - right?

It's just past 10:00PM in Australia - link should be up shortly. Right?
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

Why does this particular issue bother you so much, why do you take so much umbrage?

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN

2 recommendations

Dustyn

Premium Member

»www.murrayhurps.com/blog ··· ersion-5

Here's some more new info!
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Mele20

Premium Member

It's now free...no longer shareware!

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn

Premium Member

»www.murrayhurps.com/blog ··· uncement

Not too sure how I feel about that being a Premium Lifetime License holder....
EdmundGerber

EdmundGerber to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

Why does this particular issue bother you so much, why do you take so much umbrage?

After 9-10 years of being lied to, I expect you'd feel similar.

And the BS continues, given his latest announcement. He's perhaps planning on advertising from with the program itself. He's basically exchanging a legit revenue stream for one that's a little shady.
This will be financially difficult for me. Salaries for three people, along with our usual expenses, will be covered entirely by myself by selling almost everything I have, and taking on some external work.

At some point in the future, I may need to offer complimentary software products to Ad Muncher users (for example, a recommended spyware blocker or antivirus). These will be done respectfully, and will only be products that compliment Ad Muncher and which I genuinely use myself.

I will never, ever accept payments from an advertising company to allow their ads through our list, or install any third-party software on your system.

I've previously turned down offers to make significant money from both of these sources, but I need to sleep at night, and users of Ad Muncher deserve to be treated right after all the support they've given me.

Chubbzie
join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC

Chubbzie to JimHandeix

to JimHandeix
I don't understand why this thread and discussion is in the Security group... its all about software.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

4 recommendations

Mele20

Premium Member

Well, perhaps because by eliminating ads one eliminates a major factor in computer infections?

Chubbzie
Greenville, NC

Chubbzie

No
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

2 recommendations

Mele20

Premium Member

said by Chubbzie:

No

"No" what? What do you mean?
EdmundGerber

EdmundGerber to Dustyn

to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

»www.murrayhurps.com/blog ··· uncement

Not too sure how I feel about that being a Premium Lifetime License holder....

How do you feel about them announcing it's free - yet the "Buy now!" link on their website is still working - still hauling in revenue.

Chubbzie
Greenville, NC
Hitron CDA3
(Software) OpenBSD + pf

1 recommendation

Chubbzie to Mele20

to Mele20
No, y'know, the opposite of yes. Seriously though, this thread is not about protection from Adware or the caveats of ads in general. Its all about Admuncher, its developer(s) and whether or not it is still in active development. Just my opinion...