All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
teebob21
join:2009-12-07
Phoenix, AZ

teebob21

[AZ] D3 signal level check -- Options as a homeowner?

Everything has been running fine, but I'm interested in advice on what to do about my levels. My house is the first house out of an amp pedestal (probably a line extender) with a short drop and the higher frequencies come in HOT. I have no idea what my tap value is.

Physical configuration:
45 foot drop
4 way splitter
9 dB attenuator on modem line, after splitter
20 foot outlet to modem

Motorola SB 6141

Signal:
8 bonded DS: 813-879 Mhz / 5-7 dB recv
2 bonded US: 29.6 & 36.1 Mhz / 54 dB xmit

The 9 dB pad was necessary to keep my old D2 modem from overdriving. Do I remove it and run a hot forward input (15+ dB on all carriers)?

I don't want to drop offline when the summer heat rolls in. I could run a nice 45 xmit without the inline pad. I'd still prefer to knock the forward levels down to where they are though, maybe even closer to +3. I'm already running +16 dB of attenuation though, not accounting for line losses.

Ideally, something that could lower my forward without trashing the return, like a +18 dB step attenuator would help. Any COX techs on the forum care to let me know how I can get one?

Short of that, any suggestions?

AnonPhx
@cox.net

AnonPhx

Anon

Pull the 9db attenuator, go get a 100ft piece of cable, you'll drop your downstream without doing anything to the return.
teebob21
join:2009-12-07
Phoenix, AZ

teebob21

Sure, that's a worst-case option. 100 feet of quality RG-6 drops my forward @ 860 by 8.5 dB and raises transmit by 1.5 dB. I'd need 200 feet to get down to 0 dB at the back of the modem. My xmit would be in the 47-48 neighborhood.

I was hoping there are some other options as I no longer have my cable tools and I don't trust Home Depot/Walmart/Radio Shack coax.
Expand your moderator at work

bbeesley
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX

bbeesley to teebob21

to teebob21

Re: [AZ] D3 signal level check -- Options as a homeowner?

said by teebob21:

I have no idea what my tap value is.

That's easy enough to figure...assuming RG6 cable

5-7dB at the modem minus

45 foot drop = 2.7dB
4 way splitter = 7.5dB
9 dB attenuator on modem line, after splitter = 9dB
20 foot outlet to modem = 1.2dB

so your tap value is around 25-27dB - way too hot IMHO. Call them and have them fix that....they need to fix the design not chase it with pads in your house.

btw...the below suggestion of adding 100' of cable will give you 6dB of loss and WILL also affect the return just like the 9dB pad does. The CMTS will tell the modem to transmit higher to adjust for the pad or cable loss.

Krak
@cox.net

Krak to teebob21

Anon

to teebob21
quote:
Sure, that's a worst-case option. 100 feet of quality RG-6 drops my forward @ 860 by 8.5 dB and raises transmit by 1.5 dB. I'd need 200 feet to get down to 0 dB at the back of the modem. My xmit would be in the 47-48 neighborhood.

I was hoping there are some other options as I no longer have my cable tools and I don't trust Home Depot/Walmart/Radio Shack coax.
If all else fails, I could actually register - then send me your info via PM. I still have my cable tools and a long enough RG6 I could drop off. Your call.