uniqs
share rss forum feed

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
kudos:2

1 edit

Power window problem UPDATE

Our 2011 Grand Marquis LS{last of the Grand Marquis }, back driver window will not go up or down. I made sure the window lock isn't on, and the other side works fine, and both the switch from the drivers seat and from the back seat doesn't let the window go up or down. I don't hear any clicking or noises coming from it when I press on the switch. All other windows work, and there was never a problem with this window prior to it not working. We tried pushing it down with our hands while pressing the switch, but nothing. I am just trying to get ideas as to what it would be, because I don't think a window motor or regulator should go out on a 2011 car with only 30k miles on it, especially since we bought it Certified from Ford 4 months ago and our other Grand Marquis or any cars have never had any problem like this before. I have an appointment on Saturday, so I can get it fixed if I cant get any fixes here. Thanks in advance
--
No Victim=No Crime

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

Re: Power window problem

Sometimes electric motors just stop working, no warning. It doesn't sound like wiring or switches are the problem.

billydunwood

united state
said by Doctor Olds:

Sometimes electric motors just stop working, no warning. It doesn't sound like wiring or switches are the problem.

Ok thank you. We missed the bumper to bumper warranty by 1 month, so now instead of it being free it will cost us $100 under our comprehensive extended. But it is better than nothing!
--
No Victim=No Crime

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

3 recommendations

I'd go in and make a little noise on that. With being so close to the end of the initial warranty, the dealer should be able to get that entire repair authorized for you. It's done all the time, but only if you ask.

billydunwood

united state
said by mattmag:

I'd go in and make a little noise on that. With being so close to the end of the initial warranty, the dealer should be able to get that entire repair authorized for you. It's done all the time, but only if you ask.

I will certainly do exactly that. I will let you know how it goes on Saturday after I take it in
--
No Victim=No Crime

billydunwood

united state
reply to billydunwood
Just wanted to update everyone and say it was the power window. I scheduled an appointment for 11am at our Ford Dealer, and when I arrived they told me that even though I had an appointment, my car couldnt get looked at until 3pm. That was complete stupidity and reminded me of the Seinfeld Rental Reservation episode, but it is what it is. They would not waive the $100 deductible like Mattmag said, but I am happy that it works.
--
No Victim=No Crime

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

I'd call that two strikes against them. Time to find a dealer that is more willing to make customer satisfaction their main priority.

billydunwood

united state
said by mattmag:

I'd call that two strikes against them. Time to find a dealer that is more willing to make customer satisfaction their main priority.

Agreed. I take the car to our main mechanic(independent) for all non-warranty stuff, but will start taking the car to Santa Monica Ford for all warranty and body shop needs. Thanks again for your help over the years!
--
No Victim=No Crime

JonRup

join:2008-07-20
Hilliard, OH
reply to billydunwood

Re: Power window problem UPDATE

I'd hate to start a new thread, as I see this is resolved, but aren't the Crown Victorias/Grand Marquis notorious for failing power windows? I could have sworn they fixed it by 2011, but maybe not. Still great cars though.

billydunwood

united state
said by JonRup:

I'd hate to start a new thread, as I see this is resolved, but aren't the Crown Victorias/Grand Marquis notorious for failing power windows? I could have sworn they fixed it by 2011, but maybe not. Still great cars though.

We had an 04 Grand Marquis and still have an 08 crown Vic police, and never had any window problems
--
No Victim=No Crime

MooJohn

join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Windstream
They do eat window regulators. It gets better as model year gets newer but the whole line from 91 and up goes through them like hotcakes. If it isn't the motor it's the steel cables.

One reason I chose a Continental this time is because its windows are a simple sun gear rather than the pulley system.
--
John M - Cranky network guy

JonRup

join:2008-07-20
Hilliard, OH
said by MooJohn:

One reason I chose a Continental this time is because its windows are a simple sun gear rather than the pulley system.

That's the only reason? Haha

MooJohn

join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Windstream
I've had a few Grand Marquis in the past and considered a Marauder this time but for only $7k I couldn't find a better car than my 14 yo Continental (just turned 90k miles) when I was shopping 2 years ago. One owner, always in GA so no rust, and in fantastic condition. I'm not a huge fan of FWD but the 4v 4.6 liter won me over, especially now that it has a Superchips tune on it
--
John M - Cranky network guy