uniqs
Paralel
join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US

2 edits

Paralel to chmod

to chmod

Re: Really horrible U-Verse TV PQ.

I have seen my very first instance of this in a very long time, and it was really exceptionally bad.

For anyone that has Video on Demand, pull up the movie Oz The Great and Powerful. In the beginning of the movie there is a scene where all the "leaves" on a tree turn into butterflies and swarm in front of the camera. All the small, rapid motion overwhelms the video transcoder so badly not only is everything just a smear of macroblocks but there is actually an obvious loss of frames in that scene. I've never seen it so bad that frames are lost, but no matter how many times I replay that scene there is definitely noticeable frame loss occurring because you can see the picture obviously lurch and judder several times.

If the UVerse engineer's want to study this effect on their transcoder setup, I highly suggest this scene.
ram1220
join:2009-07-03
Allen, TX

ram1220

I have seen this problem with the movie Avatar too.
ram1220

ram1220 to Merlin37

to Merlin37
said by Merlin37:

said by Aoxxt:

Well its good you're happy with substandard PQ that AT&T provides you, many others OTOH can see the crappy PQ that AT&T calls HD and call it a joke.

Your tired trolling is a joke.

Merlin works for At&T. He will always try to spin the obvious problems.
mrsdrgn
join:2014-02-13
usa

mrsdrgn to Paralel

to Paralel
Did you try to watch it on a Blu Ray or another provider to compare?
Craiger
join:2012-07-05
Chesterfield, MO

Craiger

How does UVerse's HD compare to Charter's HD? I wonder if Charter's HD is better with Charter going all digital?

BoominTempo
@sbcglobal.net

BoominTempo

Anon

Going from Dish Network to ATT U-Verse, ATT has a far better picture than Dish did. It was like night and day. I think it just depends on what people have in their area and what they're used to as to how good they think the PQ is.

For my wife and I, ATT is so much better then Dish Networks HD it was crazy....I hate dish
Paralel
Michigan, US

Paralel

Right now I have the STB set to 1080i. I'm going to give it a shot with it set to 720p and let my TV handle the upscaling to see if that makes a difference.
Paralel

4 edits

Paralel to chmod

to chmod
Ok, I tried putting it at 720p and letting my TV handle the scaling and it was just as bad. It is def. the video stream.

Here is a pic of it, this should be a flock of butterflies, as you can see, it's nearly impossible to tell what they actually are due to the incredible severity of the macroblocking:

I'll do my best to get a short video clip of it to show the jutter and frame dropping.

I'll also take a pic of an scene that shows what good video quality I usually see with UVerse to demonstrate that it's not my setup.

It can't be my hardware, since I'm running an end-to-end shielded connection, a new shielded Ped to NID drop and a new NID that are only about 6 months old, a brand new shielded Cat 6a verified homerun, that is only about 15 ft from NID to gateway, which terminates at a shielded Cat 6a jack, and the 6P4C cable between the jack and the gateway is a shielded Cat 5e. My gateway is an NVG589, the latest model. Since I'm in a Moto hardware area my DVR, where I am watching the movie on VoD, is a VIP 2250, the latest model. The DVR is connected to the gateway using a Cat 6 run that is about 20 ft. No systems were on the internet nor were any other TVs on, so that movie has the entire 55M profile to itself. My TV is a 42" LG 1080p LED-LCD that is only a few years old and connected to the DVR using a quality 3ft HDMI cable.
mrsdrgn
join:2014-02-13
usa

mrsdrgn

I don't disagree with you. I am seeing the same think on my u-verse tv. That's why I'm wondering what other viewers see on a different device like Directv or blu-ray. Maybe u-verse has an issue with this movie. My u-verse tv hd picture quality looks very similar with Directv. I have both u-verse and Directv for the soccer channels and I can't tell the difference in the HD quality. My u-verse is on FTTP all fiber right to the house.
Paralel
Michigan, US

3 edits

Paralel

Same here. Usually my experience with UVerse regarding TV quality is excellent. This is the first time I've run into this in quite a long time. The last time I saw something like this was before they upgraded the video transcoders.

I was just surprised at how severe it is. Regardless of what is going on in a scene, there should never be any frame loss. That indicates a serious problem somewhere in the head-end hardware configuration.

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

2 edits

weaseled386 to chmod

to chmod
Click for full size
Same Scene via Blu Ray
I just did the test with "Oz The Great and Powerful." My hardware isn't the best, but it is damn good. My results were the same as Paralel's. The butterflies come from a tree in the distance... I get studdering and I'm unable to make out what is happening on screen. This is the first movie I've watched where this happens.

EDIT: More info may be helpful. NVG589 on 55M profile. No other STB's were on, and internet was idle. All cabling within the home is CAT6 -- installed, terminated, and tested by myself; I do this stuff professionally.

I just did the same test via blu ray... PS3 through a Denon AVR3310CI, to my Samsung UN55C8000. That same sequence was very smooth, clear, and visible.
Merlin37
join:2012-06-08
Dallas, TX

1 recommendation

Merlin37 to ram1220

to ram1220
said by ram1220:

Merlin works for At&T. He will always call people out on their bullsh*t.

Fixed your post for you.
Craiger
join:2012-07-05
Chesterfield, MO

Craiger

Merlin just curious has ATT thought of letting UVerse TV users use their HDTV's that have Ethernet and Wifi as an HD Receiver instead of using the Wireless HD Receiver? They could still charge $8 a month that.

weaseled386
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386 to Merlin37

to Merlin37
said by Merlin37:

said by ram1220:

Fixed your post for you.

Ok.. so what is your response to the pictures Paralel and I posted above?
dipswich
Premium Member
join:2003-06-27
Raleigh, NC

dipswich

Premium Member

The fact is that you have found a scene that all providers are going to have problems with. Of course it is the video stream on that scene! I doubt that even a DVD would perform well on that. Blu-ray has 40Mbps to work with, so that isn't a fair comparison vs. a cable delivery system.

I think your expectations are unrealistic.
Paralel
Michigan, US

Paralel

Macroblocking is expected, but frame rate loss is not acceptable. That is not being unrealistic.

weaseled386
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386 to dipswich

to dipswich
Click for full size
Butterly Scene on regular DVD
said by dipswich:

I doubt that even a DVD would perform well on that

Not as clear on DVD, but certainly not the complete mess from the Uverse stream.
ram1220
join:2009-07-03
Allen, TX

ram1220 to weaseled386

to weaseled386
said by weaseled386:

said by Merlin37:

said by ram1220:

Fixed your post for you.

Ok.. so what is your response to the pictures Paralel and I posted above?

He'll probably edit that too and claim it never existed.
Paralel
Michigan, US

1 edit

Paralel to weaseled386

to weaseled386
Unfortunately, the DVD is certainly clearer in this instance. I would argue this means that some additional work could be done with the transcoders for dealing with these kinds of scenes.