share rss forum feed

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
kudos:5

Routing issues in Vic and Sooke?

My service is pretty much unusable right now in Langford. I have friends in Sooke as well experiencing trouble. Can't access most sites including dslr.

Shaw cust serv assures me no problems exist in my region and won't escalate to a higher level for investigation.

Anyone else having issues?

Posting from my smartphone.
--
I represent AcroVoice, a full service Canadian VoIP Provider.
Buy your Obihai ATA shipped from within Canada.

join:2014-02-15

my service is fine in whistler bc all night. u might wanna go into more detail

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to Trev

I've seen this on all the Shaw connections I monitor, at different times.

If you ping the default gateway or another IP/modem without leaving your area, 100 successful, pinging outside this area, 25%-75% loss.

Usually lasts for a couple hours, and then it is fine again.

Nobody at Shaw seems to know what is going on and keep blaming the local connection.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
kudos:5

After spending an hour on the phone holding down factory reset buttons, rebooting computers, going into safe mode and other unnecessary diagnostic steps I finally accepted defeat and hung up, since they told me mtr reports and traceroutes are not acceptable "proof" of a problem, and that it was likely my own PC.

I was assured there were NO issues happening in my area both at the beginning and end of the call, despite having Nagios reports from multiple locations report severe packet loss.

I then had several friends call in and there were promptly told that there is a problem in the area and a tech has been dispatched to investigate.

Fairly certain I'm getting more gray hair dealing with customer support reps than my own kids give me...
--
I represent AcroVoice, a full service Canadian VoIP Provider.
Buy your Obihai ATA shipped from within Canada.

fourboxers
Co-Lead Mod
join:2003-05-04
Toronto, ON
reply to Trev

bump

Skud

join:2002-04-22
Canada
reply to Trev

Click for full size
Click for full size
This has been an ongoing issue for me as well. There seem to be serious routing issues from time-to-time, but no one can figure out what's going on. Over the last year I've had periods of good service with few drops, but other times I'll have 10 - 20 of these routing issues per day.

Each time I phone in the tech wants me to connect directly to the modem and provide fresh traces. I've so far done this at least half a dozen times. The symptoms are always the same, there is no connectivity past the first hop. I have Business 50 with a static IP and I can ALWAYS ping the first hop past the modem (the gateway, not MY modem, but the hop into Shaw's network), but never anything past that.

Even when connecting to the modem and addressing via DHCP it's the same thing even though the addresses are on completely different networks. If I grab an address of 70.76.x.20/24 and I'm assigned a gateway of 70.76.x.1 I can always ping the gateway, but nothing past that.

When running a continuous MTR and the problem happens the logs fill up with numerous additional routes. I think there is a router out there advertising bad routes. Supposedly this has been fixed a number of times, but I remain skeptical since it always comes back.

See the two screenshots I've attached. The "GOOD" looks normal and then notice how the "BAD" has the additional routes. These were taken approximately 1 minute apart.

Riley

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

70.76.x.20/24 in your area? Most places I've seen are all /22 networks
So that seems odd to me for the first observation
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

adiabatic

join:2009-01-24
Victoria, BC
reply to Trev

said by Trev:

Anyone else having issues?

I'm currently streaming audio from my home PC in View Royal to my phone without any issues.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
reply to Trev

I wasn't having any issues when before I left home this morning (Gorge Road Area)

Skud

join:2002-04-22
Canada
reply to kevinds

Click for full size
More Bad
Good catch! It is a /22.

Also, I've attached another interesting capture. Sorry for the large image...

Riley

stolen

join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB
kudos:2

I recently saw this same behaviour in Calgary. It continued for about half an hour until I changed my IP address. Funny thing was, the new IP address was in the same /22 as the old. a couple of hours later I switched back to my original IP and all was good and nothing since. (This was about a week and a half ago).
Been waiting for it to happen again so I can get a packet capture and see if someone was attacking my IP or something else.