how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sm5w2
Premium
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON

Fiber deployment in London seems to be continuing...

Last year I reported on the activities of Bell engineers that were surveying possible locations for new fiber-fed dslam's in an effort to reduce the copper-length to 900 meters or less in older neighborhoods in London.

After many months, that process seems to be plodding along, as earlier last week I saw a guy painting lines on top of 4-foot-high snow banks (lines that were covered in fresh snow a few days later). During my conversation with him, he confirmed it was Bell related, and he was doing locates as part of getting municipal approval. This was the exact same location that last year a Bell engineer was scoping out the placement of a dslam.

So maybe by the end of the year this location will have a dslam. This is in Westmount, west of Wonderland rd along Commissioner's. It seems to be the case that other areas where there are big trunk pedestals will also be replaced with dslams if fiber and power can be run to them.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
I'd still keep your snowball on ice to avoid premature melting. In the past others here have reported that even years after new infrastructure is put in, Bell has yet to fully utilize it. Still from what you have said earlier your area has good density as well as being overloaded, it would seem to be a good candidate for upgrading.

Nothing much over at this end of the city, Bell was stringing fibre down along Clarke Road, and something similar along Fanshawe.

urbang33k

join:2010-02-13
Canada
kudos:1
reply to sm5w2
new year, new budget?

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
reply to sm5w2
Lets hope the city of London can budget for it.

SLAMtech

join:2009-12-03
kudos:1
reply to sm5w2
Click for full size
Click for full size
They started mid january in london. So far about 20 new 7330 cabinets have been placed at crossboxes all over the city. Almost all of them have been the newer cabinets that hold twice the ports than the brown cabinet holds that usually connects to the crossbox. There will be a cabinet propped up eventually near you if in london. Heres a picture of one going up in old south London.

LastDon

join:2002-08-13
reply to sm5w2
Bell started doing work at Cheapside & McKnay as well older neighbourhood and according to bell it will be up and running end of month

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to SLAMtech
Those are the exact same boxes that have popped up all over Welland in the last few months. A few of these new ones have showed up in Niagara Falls, too.

btech805

join:2013-08-01
Canada
kudos:12
reply to SLAMtech
That's a remote hydro hookup so unfortunately no backup power but I've found that the attainable speeds from those are a fair bit higher than co powered slams. Glad to see you folks are getting upgraded finally!
--
My opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions or wishes of BCE or any of it's subsidiaries.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Wouldn't the power portion of those remotes contain a battery for backup power?

Savillian

join:2003-11-22
said by Gone:

Wouldn't the power portion of those remotes contain a battery for backup power?

They most definitely do have batteries for backup.

btech805

Canada
Yes battery backups, not generatory back up that is provided at the CO's. Also during toronto's mini ice storm, many generators were brought out to these sites when the batteries died after a day or so and they were stolen.
--
My opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions or wishes of BCE or any of it's subsidiaries.

LastDon

reply to sm5w2
will these be FTTH in the upgrade areas in london coming soon or still FTTN?

a tech i spoke to today told me FTTH but doesn't that mean they;d have to rewire each home ?

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Those are FTTN.

btech805

Canada
reply to LastDon
Fttn first. IF you are fed by aerial lines then MAYBE in a few years you'll get ftth. And no ot doesn't require rewiring the house. Fibre line into ONT, cat5 to the sagecom, and reuse the existing telephone lines for home phone
--

Martin
Premium
join:2005-05-05
Quebec, QC
kudos:5
reply to sm5w2
These equipments are for FTTN.

TNK

join:2011-03-22
Newmarket, ON
reply to btech805
In theory though, could the FTTN SLAMs be re-purposed for brownfield FTTH conversions?

btech805

Canada
Different slam equipment for ftth. Alcatel 7330s arent meant for ftth. However the existing fibre trunk lines are re purposed in brownfield deployments
--

powerout

@67.159.5.x
said by btech805 :
That's a remote hydro hookup so unfortunately no backup power but I've found that the attainable speeds from those are a fair bit higher than co powered slams. Glad to see you folks are getting upgraded finally!
Is the backup battery/generator just for the internet/fibe tv portion or does the POTS voice line die too in remote hydro boxes if there's a power outage and no power backup available?

btech805

Canada
The pots service is backed up in the co. The vdsl will go down unless bell deploys a remote generator in this case, however a couple of them were stolen during the recent ice storm in the gta over Christmas
--

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
You mean the VDSL will go down after the battery backup is depleted, I assume.

btech805

Canada
Yes there's a battery backup in those hydro hookups, but after that they need a generator of it is to keep going
--

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Right, so you should be good for at least 8-12 hours, if not more.

btech805

Canada
Yes roughly. However, unless you have backup power in your household what is the point of this. Those with ftth the battery backup with the system disables internet and tv to provide voip. Bell also used to provide dial up back up service to dsl customers in a power outage, not sure if we still do that.
--

joeblow3

join:2000-12-27
London, ON
reply to sm5w2
So in a nutshell: what does FTTN get you to your house?

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to btech805
I have a battery backup for my VoIP, so it would make sense to want the Internet to continue running if the power goes out. The cable network is only good for about eight hours so FTTN doesn't need to be any better.

It's also supposedly very easy to make the ONT battery continue powering the Ethernet ports even if the power goes out.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to sm5w2
Not to thread hijack, but if there's three Expertech trucks rolling down the two main roads in my neighbourhood pulling a thick black cable between the Bell manholes along a path between all the OPIs, and there were four on the main road in town yesterday (might not have been Expertech, but that company that starts with an A?), and I saw four Bell bucket trucks in a row roll down the QEW offramp from Niagara Falls into town this morning, is there a good chance that a FTTN deployment is ongoing in my neck of the woods as well?

LastDon

that's that it started down here.

So probably yes..

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

Not to thread hijack, but if there's three Expertech trucks rolling down the two main roads in my neighbourhood pulling a thick black cable between the Bell manholes along a path between all the OPIs, and there were four on the main road in town yesterday (might not have been Expertech, but that company that starts with an A?), and I saw four Bell bucket trucks in a row roll down the QEW offramp from Niagara Falls into town this morning, is there a good chance that a FTTN deployment is ongoing in my neck of the woods as well?

Very likely the start of it.

The company with the A was most likely Aecon, Bell uses them for a lot things.

As for the cable it could be either copper or Fiber, it could've even hydro lines for the remotes.
--
Opinions expressed are my own, and may or may not reflect those of my employers or any other BCE company or division.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Aecon that's it. Can never remember how to spell them.

It was amusing as hell this morning to see four Bell bucket trucks all come up the Thompson Road ramp off the QEW one after enough at the red light.

So, how long after this kind of stuff goes on does one usually see the actual remotes installed?

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by Gone:

So, how long after this kind of stuff goes on does one usually see the actual remotes installed?

It all depends on the work that is required;
-Copper and fiber need to be pulled
-Power lines may needs be pulled
-Locates may need to be done
-New concrete pads for the beige remotes are used
-Possibly new concrete pads for the brown 7330 remotes
Depending on what permits are required it could be a few weeks to a few months and than after the remote is installed it could than be another few weeks/months till it is activated and made available for service.

As well as cable grooming before, during and after the remotes are installed. Grooming is the process of repairing any cable troubles that could cause service issues as well as dedicating pairs to a specific terminal so that the are less sources of noise on the line.

Cable grooming is fairly easy to spot, depending on the weather there could be a tent setup or a guy just sitting at a table, enjoying the nice weather, at a OPI/JWI as well a bunch of Bell techs going around the neighbourhood working at pedestals and aerial terminals.
--
Opinions expressed are my own, and may or may not reflect those of my employers or any other BCE company or division.